Removing COntrol Panel entries in folder tree?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

When I click on the control panel folder onthe left hand saide of
explorer (I have get it set to show a "folder tree") then I see only
these six entries althugh my full control panel has about 30
entries:

administrative tools
fonts
network connections
printers and faxes
scanners and cameras
scheduled tasks

How do I remove one of these six entries?

How do I add a different control panel entry to the six?
2 answers Last reply
More about removing control panel entries folder tree
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Alex Nichol <alexn.mvpdts@ntlworld.delete.com> wrote:

    >>When I click on the control panel folder onthe left hand saide
    >>of explorer (I have get it set to show a "folder tree") then I
    >>see only these six entries althugh my full control panel has
    >>about 30 entries:
    >>
    >> administrative tools fonts
    >> network connections
    >> printers and faxes
    >> scanners and cameras
    >> scheduled tasks
    >>
    >>How do I remove one of these six entries?
    >
    > Those are not actually control panel applets in the sense of
    > containing sets of related cpl files, but rather direct access
    > to various control facilities that are also shown from the full
    > panel. For example Fonts - in either place - is really a
    > shortcut to the Fonts folder in Windows; Admin tools defines
    > which specific .msc file be run. These are inbuilt, and AFAIK
    > there is no way to change them, You get at the 'ordinary' CP
    > applets if you highlight Control Panel without expanding it

    I can see that I am not being very clear when I said I wanted to remove
    them.

    What I want to do is remove the shortcut icons for them from showing up in
    the Window Explorer tree view of that the Control Panel folder.
  2. lem said:
    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Alex Nichol <alexn.mvpdts@ntlworld.delete.com> wrote:

    >>When I click on the control panel folder onthe left hand saide
    >>of explorer (I have get it set to show a "folder tree") then I
    >>see only these six entries althugh my full control panel has
    >>about 30 entries:
    >>
    >> administrative tools fonts
    >> network connections
    >> printers and faxes
    >> scanners and cameras
    >> scheduled tasks
    >>
    >>How do I remove one of these six entries?
    >
    > Those are not actually control panel applets in the sense of
    > containing sets of related cpl files, but rather direct access
    > to various control facilities that are also shown from the full
    > panel. For example Fonts - in either place - is really a
    > shortcut to the Fonts folder in Windows; Admin tools defines
    > which specific .msc file be run. These are inbuilt, and AFAIK
    > there is no way to change them, You get at the 'ordinary' CP
    > applets if you highlight Control Panel without expanding it

    I can see that I am not being very clear when I said I wanted to remove
    them.

    What I want to do is remove the shortcut icons for them from showing up in
    the Window Explorer tree view of that the Control Panel folder.

    _______________

    For network connections try this, it works fine in XP:

    1. Create a *.reg file - Notepad set to All files (not *.txt)
    2. Copy/Paste the content below :

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\ShellFolder]
    "Attributes"=dword:20180000

    3. Save the file with "Hyde_My-Network-Places_in XP-Explorer.reg" for example.
    4. Double click on the file and double accept.
    5. Restart Windows Explorer

Configuration Control Panel Microsoft Customization Windows XP