[First Build] Looking for advice and tips for my first build.

Hey everyone, I'm looking to build my first PC. The thing is, I have no experience with PCs but I have looked at a lot of how to videos and components to get a general idea of how to build one. I'm just looking for advice about the components that I think will work fine but in the end I need a more experienced view on what is good and what I should change. Here are the specs of the components I'm currently looking at.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

Power Supply: Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 — 80 PLUS Bronze Certified 650 Watt High Performance Power Supply

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Optical Drive: LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Case: Rosewill THOR V2-White Edition

Graphics Card: MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti

I am also thinking of getting 2 SLI capable graphics cards that are cheaper than the 560 Ti. But I am new to this so what should I do?
3 answers Last reply
More about first build advice tips build
  1. Why the i7 over the i5? If your not going to be running highly threaded programs you could have the extra $100 and go with a 2500k. Also, the GTX 560Ti is fine, as two cards in SLi cheaper than the 560 is not worth the hassle.
  2. sk1939 said:
    Why the i7 over the i5? If your not going to be running highly threaded programs you could have the extra $100 and go with a 2500k.

To be honest I just figured the i7 would do better with gaming. But, as I am new to this, the i5 could probably preform just as well. I think you may have saved me from bottle-necking my build. But overall, do you think this would make a good gaming build?
  3. A very good build. as sk said, the 2500k is all you need for gaming.

use the saved cash to get a decent heatsink and one day down the road you can try some overclocking.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Build Components