Help please PS2 Internet connection

Hi everyone,

Could I please have some help with a few things:

Question 1.
Is this the right newsgroup to ask questions about Playstation2's, if not
could someone please give me details of correct news groups so I don't upset
users etc.

Question 2.
I need a very simple but detailed WHTBD and "What You Need To Buy" in order
to connect a PS2 to the internet via a separate phone socket and not
connected to a PC.

Question 3.
I have Broadband connection with BT using a microfilter on the phone socket
in the lounge so can use phone/pc on same socket.
If PS2 is connected to Internet (after having followed up on Q2!) directly
via a phone socket in a different room will this stop me from using the PC
on the Net?

Basic outline:

a) My son wants PS2 Internet connection for his birthday.
b) He has his PS2 in his bedroom upstairs
c) PC is in lounge downstairs
d) PC is connected to Internet via Broadband modem into a microfilter
e) My initial thoughts are that only one "kit" (PC or PS2) can be on the
Net at one time if directly wired?
f) If I want to use both PC and PS2 on Net at same time am I going to have
to wireless (whole new ball game to me!)?
g) If I go wireless what kit would I need to get for both PC and PS2?

Sorry if all this seems a bit long but if anyone can point me in the right
direction it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Mosquito2001 wrote:

> Rauf Rawson said the following on 20/07/2005 7:46:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Could I please have some help with a few things:
> >
> > Question 1.
> > Is this the right newsgroup to ask questions about Playstation2's, if not
> > could someone please give me details of correct news groups so I don't upset
> > users etc.
> >
> > Question 2.
> > I need a very simple but detailed WHTBD and "What You Need To Buy" in order
> > to connect a PS2 to the internet via a separate phone socket and not
> > connected to a PC.
> >
> > Question 3.
> > I have Broadband connection with BT using a microfilter on the phone socket
> > in the lounge so can use phone/pc on same socket.
> > If PS2 is connected to Internet (after having followed up on Q2!) directly
> > via a phone socket in a different room will this stop me from using the PC
> > on the Net?
> >
> > Basic outline:
> >
> > a) My son wants PS2 Internet connection for his birthday.
> > b) He has his PS2 in his bedroom upstairs
> > c) PC is in lounge downstairs
> > d) PC is connected to Internet via Broadband modem into a microfilter
> > e) My initial thoughts are that only one "kit" (PC or PS2) can be on the
> > Net at one time if directly wired?
> > f) If I want to use both PC and PS2 on Net at same time am I going to have
> > to wireless (whole new ball game to me!)?
> > g) If I go wireless what kit would I need to get for both PC and PS2?
> >

> > Sorry if all this seems a bit long but if anyone can point me in the right
> > direction it would be very much appreciated.
> >
> > Many thanks
> >

> DON'T plug the ps2 directly on the phone line!!! As you'll fry the
> network adapter.
snip

Hogwash. The network adapter is designed to be plugged into a phone line
through its phone jack. This will only help him if he has dialup access,
but having DSL on a phoneline doesn't cause modems any problems. (Note
that if he has dialup access, that would be by far the easiest cheap way
of connecting his son's PS2 to the internet based on his current setup;
he should note that many games will not work online with a dial up
connection tho.)

Yes, the Sony network adapter has both connectors

- - : R A T B o y : - - said the following on 20/07/2005 23:03:
> Yes, the Sony network adapter has both connectors

The adapters sold in europe only have 1 connector, the ethernet one !
As broadband connections are the majority here, sony didn't sell
adapters with a dial-up plug. The original author clearly stated that he
is using BT Broadband (british telecom I suppose)

Ted said the following on 20/07/2005 17:20:

> Hogwash. The network adapter is designed to be plugged into a phone line
> through its phone jack. This will only help him if he has dialup access,
> but having DSL on a phoneline doesn't cause modems any problems. (Note
> that if he has dialup access, that would be by far the easiest cheap way
> of connecting his son's PS2 to the internet based on his current setup;
> he should note that many games will not work online with a dial up
> connection tho.)

It's very stupid to use dial-up when you have adsl already available.
Beside, sony only sell adapters with an ethernet port in europe, the
ones with a second dial-up plug are for the US only. With a router you
can use the ps2 and the pc individually or in the same time without any
trouble.

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Mosquito2001 wrote:

> Ted said the following on 20/07/2005 17:20:
>
> > Hogwash. The network adapter is designed to be plugged into a phone line
> > through its phone jack. This will only help him if he has dialup access,
> > but having DSL on a phoneline doesn't cause modems any problems. (Note
> > that if he has dialup access, that would be by far the easiest cheap way
> > of connecting his son's PS2 to the internet based on his current setup;
> > he should note that many games will not work online with a dial up
> > connection tho.)
>
> It's very stupid to use dial-up when you have adsl already available.
> Beside, sony only sell adapters with an ethernet port in europe, the
> ones with a second dial-up plug are for the US only. With a router you
> can use the ps2 and the pc individually or in the same time without any
> trouble.

My bad on the European jack situation.
However, a router is going to require the OP to string meters and meters
of ethernet cabling, which most people don't want to do, or buy a
wireless router and a wireless access point for the child's room, which
will cost about as much as a PS2 if not more. That would make using dial
up sensible if his network adapter and ISP both had the capability.

Ted <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote:

> My bad on the European jack situation.
> However, a router is going to require the OP to string meters and meters
> of ethernet cabling, which most people don't want to do, or buy a
> wireless router and a wireless access point for the child's room, which
> will cost about as much as a PS2 if not more. That would make using dial
> up sensible if his network adapter and ISP both had the capability.

At least near my house, wireless routers have gotten very cheap. I've
seen some as low as $30 with a rebate (final price $10 or less!) These
routers don't just do wireless, but provide 4 ethernet ports as well, so you
could plug your PC or other ethernet devices, while having your laptop on
the wireless side.

I've seen wireless adapters for consoles for $35-40. (no, don't ask me why
they're more than the router!)

The household routers come with pretty good documentation covering just
about every configuration situation you might have at home.