InfanView and PhotoShop

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 13, 2005 9:40:37 AM

Thanks for all you help, please allow for a few more questions for the
board.

Using InfanView

Last week, when I first opened the RAW photo files from the Canon 350D
in InfanView, the program displayed the pixel size as 3456 x 2304
pixels, which is the correct pixel size for the Canon 350D when
shooting in the RAW format.

BUT... now... this day... when I open the raw files the IrfanView
program, the pixel dimension is only 1536x1024, which is not the pixel
size for the 350D RAW file.

As a check... when I open the same file in Canon's ZoomBrowser, the
pixel size are 3456 x 2304, which is the correct amount of pixels for
the 350D RAW files.

Would anyone here know why this is happening or hopefully, how to fix?

------

Question #2

Photoshop ver. 7.0 will not open up or recognize the Canon 350D RAW
files, would anyone know why?

We appreciate the time and help that you are giving us on these
questions

Jon

More about : infanview photoshop

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 10:54:14 AM

I find Irfanview way to slow working with RAW and it's really not doing
a proper conversion so that that useful anyways.

PS7 won't work, only newer versions. Maybe look at raw-shooter
essentials for free or dcraw (command line) or any number of other programs.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
> "scubatv" <scubatv@yahoo.com> writes:
> > Question #2
> >
> > Photoshop ver. 7.0 will not open up or recognize the Canon 350D RAW
> > files, would anyone know why?
>
> Well the 350D RAW-format didn't exist when Photoshop 7 was released,
> so it couldn't have been there - but AFAIK Photoshop 7 as such din't
> support /any/ RAW file format.
>
> Adobe used to sell a plugin (ACR) that would let you open up some RAW
> files (certainly not those from 350D) in Photoshop 7, but pulled this
> from th market when they released Photoshop 8 (aka Photoshop CS) with
> the ACR-module bundled.
>
> I belive ACR i the latest version of Photoshop (Photoshop CS2) will
> recognize Canon 350D RAW files.

Yes, it looks as though ACR 3.1 supports it:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

The way these ACRs match to Photoshop releases is:

ACR 1.x works with PS 7. ACR 2.x works with PS 8 (CS). ACR 3.x works
with PS 9 (CS2). (I believe the constraint is that, with each PS
release so far, the interface to the plug-in has been extended, so you
can't mix old & new).

While any PS release is current, Adobe release updates (free
replacement plug-ins) to the corresponding ACR perhaps 3 or so times a
year. When they announce a new release of PS, they stop updating the
ACR for the previous release. (So ACR 2.4 is the last ever for PS 8.
And ACR 3.0 was replaced by ACR 3.1 almost immediately, to get support
for those new cameras in).

As far as new camera support is concerned, ACR 2.3 was a turning point,
because it also supported DNG. Users of ACR 2.3 or 2.4, (hence not PS
7, so it won't help the OP), can get new camera support by getting the
latest DNG Converter, currently 3.1, converting the Raw to DNG, then
reading that in PS 8. So while the poster probably needs to upgrade,
users of PS 8 can avoid it if they accept the extra conversion step.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/

scubatv wrote:

> Thanks for all you help, please allow for a few more questions for the
> board.
>
> Using InfanView
>
> Last week, when I first opened the RAW photo files from the Canon 350D
> in InfanView, the program displayed the pixel size as 3456 x 2304
> pixels, which is the correct pixel size for the Canon 350D when
> shooting in the RAW format.
>
> BUT... now... this day... when I open the raw files the IrfanView
> program, the pixel dimension is only 1536x1024, which is not the pixel
> size for the 350D RAW file.

I'm not that familiar with the 350D RAW files, but it sure looks
like Irfanview is reading an embedded JPEG within the RAW file rather
than the RAW file itself.
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 6:12:29 PM

scubatv wrote:
> Thanks for all you help, please allow for a few more questions for the
> board.
>
> Using InfanView
>
> Last week, when I first opened the RAW photo files from the Canon 350D
> in InfanView, the program displayed the pixel size as 3456 x 2304
> pixels, which is the correct pixel size for the Canon 350D when
> shooting in the RAW format.
>
> BUT... now... this day... when I open the raw files the IrfanView
> program, the pixel dimension is only 1536x1024, which is not the pixel
> size for the 350D RAW file.
>
> As a check... when I open the same file in Canon's ZoomBrowser, the
> pixel size are 3456 x 2304, which is the correct amount of pixels for
> the 350D RAW files.
>
> Would anyone here know why this is happening or hopefully, how to fix?

I believe IrfanView is reading the JPEG embedded in the RAW file, and
the display size is dependant on the "RAW+JPEG Rec." function in the camera.

If you look in Options -> Properties -> PlugIns in IrfanView, change the
"Options for CRW/CR2 files" to one of the other options, and it will
read the RAW file itself at full size.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 05/12/2005
Tested on: 5/13/2005 7:12:11 AM
May 13, 2005 8:02:10 PM

"scubatv" <scubatv@yahoo.com> writes:
> Question #2
>
> Photoshop ver. 7.0 will not open up or recognize the Canon 350D RAW
> files, would anyone know why?

Well the 350D RAW-format didn't exist when Photoshop 7 was released,
so it couldn't have been there - but AFAIK Photoshop 7 as such din't
support /any/ RAW file format.

Adobe used to sell a plugin (ACR) that would let you open up some RAW
files (certainly not those from 350D) in Photoshop 7, but pulled this
from th market when they released Photoshop 8 (aka Photoshop CS) with
the ACR-module bundled.

I belive ACR i the latest version of Photoshop (Photoshop CS2) will
recognize Canon 350D RAW files.
May 14, 2005 10:52:08 AM

Thanks for all your replies. I'm always amazed on how much people know
here, the depth of that knowledge and the kindness you show, taking the
time to share.

Matt, that was the fix for IrfanView, thought I was losing my mind for
a while.

> If you look in Options -> Properties -> PlugIns in IrfanView,

But, the files are loading very, very slow. Much slower than last week,
Ces't La Vie.

I'll look around for another viewer. I need something quick and easy
for my laptop when traveling.

Jon
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 3:03:50 PM

scubatv wrote:
> Thanks for all your replies. I'm always amazed on how much people know
> here, the depth of that knowledge and the kindness you show, taking the
> time to share.
>
> Matt, that was the fix for IrfanView, thought I was losing my mind for
> a while.
>

>>If you look in Options -> Properties -> PlugIns in IrfanView,
>

> But, the files are loading very, very slow. Much slower than last week,
> Ces't La Vie.
>
> I'll look around for another viewer. I need something quick and easy
> for my laptop when traveling.
>

> Jon

You aren't likely to find anything quicker and easier than Irfanview.
It is probably the best value in the entire software universe.
Certainly can't complain about the price!

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

scubatv wrote:

> Thanks for all your replies. I'm always amazed on how much people know
> here, the depth of that knowledge and the kindness you show, taking the
> time to share.
>
> Matt, that was the fix for IrfanView, thought I was losing my mind for
> a while.
>

>>If you look in Options -> Properties -> PlugIns in IrfanView,
>

> But, the files are loading very, very slow. Much slower than last week,
> Ces't La Vie.
>
> I'll look around for another viewer. I need something quick and easy
> for my laptop when traveling.

The problem here isn't with Irfanview, it's that you're loading a very
large file... several megabytes vs. probably well under a MB if you're
just loading the embedded JPEG.

I experimented with it a bit. When the RAW+JPEG setting is medium-fine,
IrfanView with the standard setting loads it very fast. When set to
large-fine, it takes almost as long to load the JPEG as it does to load
the RAW file. The RAW takes just as long to load regardless of the
embedded JPEG size.

In short, you'll find the same problem with any program. The
"work-around" is to reduce the embedded JPEG setting, and just use that
display option when you want to flip through the pictures quickly, then
change and load the full RAW if you need to do some actual editing.

Maybe a bunch of us could email Irfan and suggest it be an option to
select which to load when opening a RAW file. :)

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 05/12/2005
Tested on: 5/16/2005 4:15:12 AM
May 18, 2005 12:38:16 PM

scubatv wrote:
> BUT... now... this day... when I open the raw files the IrfanView
> program, the pixel dimension is only 1536x1024, which is not the
pixel
> size for the 350D RAW file.

As said, you see the jpeg embedded in the raw file - you may also
notice the potential exposure change between both versions.

I find this workflow (view the small jpeg with Irfan to decide which
raw I will work on with PS) very convenient but (as with filet mignon
or tournedos Rossini ;o) this is essentially a matter of taste.

> Photoshop ver. 7.0 will not open up or recognize the Canon 350D RAW
> files, would anyone know why?

It's basically not made for - the CR2 format didn't exist at the time
it has been designed (with PS7.0, you can only use the 1.0 adobe camera
raw plug-in http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/319291.html).

You might give this hint a try :
http://www.rogercavanagh.com/pstips/tip08-1.stm
but as it basically tells PS that the 350d raw photos are written like
D30 ones, it may probably not work at all.
Anyway all you have to do is to find the signature of the 350d by
looking for "canon", "350d" or "rebel" with an hex editor, and write
the complete sentence at the right place in the 8bi file. See
http://www.rogercavanagh.com/pstips/08/15-06.htm for an example.
It worked with my 300d, but it gave a slight reddish color cast with
the ACR defaults settings (not very problematic to correct in a raw
workflow anyway).

Greetings from France (the original country of the tournedos Rossini
;o)
Nicolas
!