Importance of Chassis and its PSU

vish22

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Hi

I have been always a big fan of solid and good looking chassis, my current chassis's front panel's locks are broken and shows problem only if I move it as it moves out, otherwise its a very solid heavy chassis with no brand name and a single fan option in back

Currently using a local brand 400 watt PSU and looking for branded one, I am looking for corsair but these are Antec, "sea sonic" and "cooler master" available this time
Don't know which is good as never knew its importance as starting to know now

Recently purchased and returned "cooler master elite 431 plus" as its audio wire burnt because of new corsair 430 watt which was not working and gave a trip to UPS and shock as well

so both I have returned to online store, and this time I want to purchase a chassis and PSU with more knowledge
I felt 431 plus was also very small as even with my micro atx motherboard there was very small space to move hand to do adjustments in hardware I didn't feel it with my OLD Chassis may be because in old there is top mounted PSU

So what main thing I want to know is, should we consider the weight of chassis to know its rigidity? Can we use usb 3.0 port of chassis for our current USB 2 devices?
can we use USB 2 port of motherboard for connecting USB 3.0 of chassis?
My old chassis only have fan socket in back and there is no space for air and it don't have dust filter kind facilities , but dust enters in it easily if dust is in air and I just cleans it up with cloth.so does it harm PC(using it from 12 years didn't find a issue)
looking to change PSU so I can save PC from fluctuations.

And last thing my ups is 600 va (apc) so will it be enough for 500 watt or 550 watt PSU?

thanks

Solution
For PSUs: Go with the Antec or Seasonic. If you can't afford a good quality case and PSU in your budget, then get a good PSU and upgrade the case later. The Seasonic S12II-520 is an Awesome PSU: http://www.flipkart.com/seasonic-s12ii-520-520-watts-psu/p/itmd5xz5hzvzt9cx?pid=PSUD5XZ4KFH65H9E&_l=mzQmrlkCJv0IjldH8nGLKg--&_r=eogBqIYsHUuD9vD2NqQClw--&ref=4e8c18b7-f1c3-42f5-8822-3c50bd4ef7b8
I have the modular version; great warranty, rock solid rails, and great warranty.

Edit: This PSU is overkill for your current PC. If you're upgrading the GPU, then this is a great option. If you're going to get an HD6770 or less powerful card, then you could save a few R by getting the Antec VP-450.

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Weight means a little, but most cases won't fall apart on you.
Yep, USB 3.0 is backwards compatible, any USB device will work.
No, USB 3.0 uses 20 pin while USB 2.0 does not.
One exhaust fan is very bad for airflow. You need sufficient intake as well as sufficient exhaust.
You might be cutting it close with a 600va UPS. If you're doing over like 350W your UPS will probably shut off, taking your computer with it. But I wouldn't worry about it. A 500 watt psu will never draw it's max load.

I recommend a HAF 922, plenty of airflow available.
Try to get a PSU from the more well known brands like Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, XFX, PC Power and Cooling, and Silverstone.

For 500-550, I recommend this PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

vish22

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Thanks for your valuable and quick reply
this PSU is also available in my local website

Currently I use Quadro fx 540 card as I work in 3D But In future I can upgrade it
so thinking if I should go for 500 watt PSU or less will be perfect too as 400 or 450 watt PSU are cheaper than this

Air cooling increases PC performance too or just keeps it cool?

Thanks for suggetion but HAF 922 is costly for me, specially when I am purchasing PSU too
My Range goes to 4k less than in my currency in Rupees
here I am looking to purchase as I returned those products here so money is with them and I limited to them :pfff:

http://www.flipkart.com/browse/computers/components/cabinet-20282?_l=79dJZlAp8HnGfy_+bIgkQg--&_r=_m4JF7ej7uD2B30CumT+CA--&ref=af4c143a-0897-4043-b657-12c2f11d165c
thanks

For PSUs: Go with the Antec or Seasonic. If you can't afford a good quality case and PSU in your budget, then get a good PSU and upgrade the case later. The Seasonic S12II-520 is an Awesome PSU: http://www.flipkart.com/seasonic-s12ii-520-520-watts-psu/p/itmd5xz5hzvzt9cx?pid=PSUD5XZ4KFH65H9E&_l=mzQmrlkCJv0IjldH8nGLKg--&_r=eogBqIYsHUuD9vD2NqQClw--&ref=4e8c18b7-f1c3-42f5-8822-3c50bd4ef7b8
I have the modular version; great warranty, rock solid rails, and great warranty.

Edit: This PSU is overkill for your current PC. If you're upgrading the GPU, then this is a great option. If you're going to get an HD6770 or less powerful card, then you could save a few R by getting the Antec VP-450.

Solution

vish22

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

Thanks for your comment
But last thing want to know that if I purchase this one for future purpose as I am upgrading chassis this time and won't purchase PSU again and again
and As I know anything above 500 watt can support any graphic card..

So it will harm My PC or work fine with low configuration too,(I am curruntly running my pc on 400 watt PSU from 6 years (2GB DDR2 RAM,CORE2 DUO PROCESSOR))
as it can take some time to upgrade MOBO CPU OR EVEN only Graphic Cards

thanks

It definitely won't harm your computer. Your PC will only draw as much power as it needs; there is no chance of the PSU 'overpowering' your PC. One of the great things about this PSU is that it is very efficient at almost any load.