Sign in with
Your question

This has become an head ache

Last response: in Systems
January 17, 2012 3:52:32 AM

i built my pc back in 2006, just last month i corrupted my bios, i was looking to upgrade my cpu. well evidently i did something wrong and my bios are corrupt

when i would boot i would get ZERO video output. so i just assumed my bios are corrupt

i took my pc apart and cleaned it because bored. i think i might done something stupid. i opend my psu to clean out the dust.

when i put my pc backtogether and press the power button nothing happens
but when i press the power restart it revs on for 2 seconds then off.

i tryed a different psu and it does the same thing

did i fudge up my whole entire pc or is my mobo really messed up

should i just buy a new psu, mobo, and cpu.

or should i buy all new parts. which i cant afford.......

i feel like a crack head iam fiending to do some gaming but iam a poor bastard.

no beeps or any thing because iam noob and threw away my speaker thing when i first built my pc. back in 06 my current parts

m2n-e mobo
3 gigs ddr2 800mhz 5-5-5-12 corsair ram
x1950 pro ati
3800+windsor am2 dual core 2ghz
680psu that i opend up the other psu came with the case. prolly 400watts ish

i feel really down in out here guys, help me out. i quit smoking back in oct 22. i have no job, my life has been ***. my only vice was my pc and i have gone and fucked that up. i plan on moving to start fresh with my dad i barely know. but till then iam fucked.

my budget

i current have 70 bucks cash
expecting 100 buck visa gift card from dad. no idea when its going to get here. he said he got it and didnt mail it last month. been waiting all this month for it -_-

so my assumed budget is 170 bucks

i prefer newegg.com

and sorry for wall of text and *** grammar

More about : head ache

January 17, 2012 4:03:14 AM

The m2ne board has asus's crash free bios. You can put a new bios onto a flash drive and install it from there. Do a web search on how to do this. IF you can't get that to work, you can have Asus send you a new bios chip(they used to run about 10 bucks), and take it to an electronics or computer repair shop and have them remove the old and solder the new one in place.

Your CPU isn't gonna be fried from jsut a few seconds of having it turned on without fresh thermal paste.

Edit: I misread taking the PSU out as taking the HSF from the cpu....sorry, guess I'm not awake.
m
l
January 17, 2012 4:08:14 AM

jeremyp1979 said:
The m2ne board has asus's crash free bios. You can put a new bios onto a flash drive and install it from there. Do a web search on how to do this. IF you can't get that to work, you can have Asus send you a new bios chip(they used to run about 10 bucks), and take it to an electronics or computer repair shop and have them remove the old and solder the new one in place.

Your CPU isn't gonna be fried from jsut a few seconds of having it turned on without fresh thermal paste.

Edit: I misread taking the PSU out as taking the HSF from the cpu....sorry, guess I'm not awake.

yea my computer isnt even booting at all atm
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2012 4:16:39 AM

choobert said:
yea my computer isnt even booting at all atm

The crash free bios is there just to fix that. Google it, try it out, if it doesnt work, you aren't out anything except some time. This can be done from a floppy disk as well if you have one on your machine.
m
l
January 17, 2012 4:17:59 AM

ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
The ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 allows users to restore corrupted BIOS data from a USB flash disk containing the BIOS file. This utility saves users the cost and hassle of buying a replacement BIOS chip.

This is copied and pasted from the the M2N E's product page on the asus website.
m
l
January 17, 2012 4:19:19 AM

jeremyp1979 said:
The crash free bios is there just to fix that. Google it, try it out, if it doesnt work, you aren't out anything except some time. This can be done from a floppy disk as well if you have one on your machine.

i am just going to assume you didn't read my original post. where i said when i press the power button nothing happens.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2012 4:19:38 AM

did you try to update bios and it went south? i have done this exact bricking on a similar model the m2n sli deluxe. you need a new, already programmed bios chip. Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bios-Chip-Asus-M2N-E-Low-Price-...
Just to be clear, this is a case of trying to update bios and failing right?
If that is the case, this is your solution and these guys will put any bios you want in your new chip. remove old one, insert new one.
m
l
January 17, 2012 4:20:10 AM

How to Use CrashFree BIOS
Download the utility from the ASUS website. Use the program to make a bootable image that will be transferred to the flash drive.

Write the image to the thumb drive.

Place the flash drive into an ASUS computer whose BIOS has been corrupted.

Let the software load a copy of the BIOS. Essentially, the program loads a backup copy of the ASUS BIOS into memory that replaces the corrupted firmware.

After A: DOS prompt appears, type aflash.exe. (The drive letter may be different, depending on the computer's model.) This program flashes the BIOS, and replaces the data.

Remove the flash drive, and reboot the computer.

Enter the computer's setup before the operating system boots. This can be done by pressing the F2 key on many systems. Make sure the hardware configuration is correct, and adjust the boot order as necessary.

Exit system setup, and let the operating system load

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2012 4:21:09 AM

do a further check on the EXACT chip for your motherboard and the exact bios you need them to program. i have gotten mine for less that what i see on this ebay seller.
m
l
January 17, 2012 4:27:10 AM

@jeremyp1979

you are a ******* idiot, read my original post in its entirety.

how can i boot to a usb drive to flash new bios when iam getting no power?
and iam also getting zero video output.

maybe my horrible grammar and wall of txt made it too hard to read but go get your plus ones else where.

@ ist rune guy

i think i would end up messing up my stuff even more attempting that.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2012 4:33:01 AM

just tell us what you did on bios and you think you corrupted it. if you toyed with ez-flash and it got stuck while trying to flash then for sure this is your solution. If it is something different then it is a hardware issue.
m
l
January 17, 2012 4:34:42 AM

Did you test the power supplies with the paper clip test? And yes, I went on the no post part, and apparently totally missed the doing nothing, my apologies. Might also check and see if possibly you pulled the wires from the front panel a bit, though this isnt likely if the reset button is doing something.
m
l
January 17, 2012 5:13:32 AM

vx53c said:
just tell us what you did on bios and you think you corrupted it. if you toyed with ez-flash and it got stuck while trying to flash then for sure this is your solution. If it is something different then it is a hardware issue.

i was updating to beta bios for support for new cpus, it finished, then on pc restart there was no video out.

after i put my pc back together it doesnt even boot, no idea why.

edit no i haven't done the paper clip thing. nor do i plan to electrocute my self lol :D 

sorry if i came off a little rude to ya bud.

plus i dont think i have any paper clips lying around
m
l
January 17, 2012 5:48:17 AM

The paper clip thing has no chance of electrocuting you, as the power switch on a PSU carries a miniscule amount of voltage. All it does is tell the rest of the PSU to switch on.

If you're worried you fried the board or something during cleaning(which isn't likely, but possible) I've actually got a M2NE Sli sitting outside in my shop, with a corrupt bios. I'd give the thing to you if you could cover the shipping. Mine failed(I say failed, what actually happened is my 2 year old decided to push the shiny blue power button) while trying to do a bios update through windows, and the only reason I haven't reflashed the bios with the crash free bios is that i would have to move everything out of my Dell to it to accomplish it, and frankly, I don't think it's worth the trouble.
The board even has a working(or last time i used it) 4450e processor in it. I had the board and a differnet processor sent to me and was going to use them, but when the bios crashed I put the processor and ram into my Dell, which improved it's performance quite a bit.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2012 11:19:42 AM

it is pretty clear, mobo bios chip needs a replacement.
m
l
!