Strange boot issue

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on this problem I am having - I'm completely baffled.

My PC starts up fine and goes to the windows XP loading screen. I get a few seconds of the loading bar, before the screen goes black. I then get these white horizontal lines flicker every few seconds on he screen.

If I try going to BIOS setup by pressing 'del' on startup, the screen just goes completely black and nothing further happens.

If I put in an Ubuntu CD, it correctly boots but the install screen has a large strip in the middle of the screen which is displaying random white horizontal lines/garbage. Trying to continue with the installation anyway yields a black screen.

A little bit about the system: It's very old (2.6Ghz, 256MB RAM, onboard graphics) I am trying to resurrect it to try experiment with creating a web server.

So far I have tried replacing the RAM stick, but this made no difference. I'm not sure what else to try. It seems like the video adapter is playing up, but I'm unsure why it works for the first part of the start up process.

TRENDING THREADS