Sign in with
Your question

Game suddenly pixelated

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 18, 2011 11:35:50 PM

My computer specs are: AMD Phenom II X4 3.2GH processor, Radeon HD 6870, 6gb of DDR3 RAM(let me know if I left something out).

I just got Modern Warfare 3 and it played very well for a couple days, but today some of the objects(cars, weapons, buildings) are becoming pixelated and all different colors. It still plays smooth, but the colors and graphics are just whack. I played longer than usual today, so I'm thinking it could be overheating issues?

I've also been getting an error when I try to run a DVD in windows media player that says "You computer is runnin low on memory..." My computer is still detecting all 6gb of RAM, so maybe this issue is not necessary related to my gaming issue.

Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
a c 141 U Graphics card
November 19, 2011 6:07:52 AM

A 6870 should be able to destroy Modern Warfare 3 without any trouble. Since you are encountering artifacting odds are you are running into heat issues. Run HWMonitor in the background and report what your max GPU temperature is. Try running different games and see if the problem shows up in other titles. If it is only happening in MW3 and your temps are fine it could be a software issue. Try updating your video card drivers and reinstall the game. If they are already at the latest version, try rolling back to an earlier version. The final possibility is the card may be dying, in which case hopefully it is still under warranty.

For the meory issue, open your task manager and go to the performance tab, see how much RAM is being used. To run low on RAM with 6GB indicates that either you have a lot of stuff running in the background, possibly something that shouldn't be, or one of your programs has a serious memory leak. If your memory is pretty much full, go into the processes tab and see what is eating up all that RAM.
m
l
a c 76 U Graphics card
November 19, 2011 7:32:30 AM

as a side note if you are running any windows gadgets they can have horrible memory leak issues... I've seen them take up 3 gigs of memory with just the CPU and Calender one up on mine if I leave it up a few days
m
l
Related resources
November 19, 2011 7:33:40 PM

I didn't get any errors in Memtest86. I would think that if my videocard were going bad then things like shows on netflix and hulu would look bad but they look flawless in hd. I just did a clean start with windows 7, because my other harddrive failed, and now I'm going to do it again and see if it fixes it.
m
l
a c 540 U Graphics card
November 19, 2011 7:47:20 PM

Quote:
I've also been getting an error when I try to run a DVD in windows media player that says "You computer is runnin low on memory..." My computer is still detecting all 6gb of RAM, so maybe this issue is not necessary related to my gaming issue.
What is your current pagefile.sys size?
m
l
November 19, 2011 10:04:01 PM

When I ran DXDiag it said my page file was 1000mb with 10,000mb available, I'm not sure what that means. I just finished reinstalling windows and I am having the same problem in my games. I forgot to test a DVD for the other issue.

Is it possible that the Video RAM in my card is going bad? Like I said, netflix and online videos are fine, are they not effected by VRAM issues?
m
l
a c 540 U Graphics card
November 19, 2011 10:18:30 PM

Is your Windows 7 the 32-bit edition or the 64-bit edition?
m
l
November 30, 2011 10:57:13 PM

Here is what I did to fix the issue..
Go into your STEAM game library > CODMW3 multiplayer > Right click for properties > Under tab LOCAL FILES > clikc on VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE > Finally after that's done click on DEFRAGMENT CACHE FILES

Every now and then its good to do this to get rid of the cache cluster that may disrupt your game textures or maps. My game just looked like it was was mixing up the textures and it looked a little like a 1940's flashy POS tv. It was bad. I did the above steps and its back to norm! Cheers!
m
l
!