PSP versus PS2 triangles per second?

Hi,

Does anybody know how many triangles per second,
which seems to be a pretty good metric of 3D graphics
speed, the PSP can draw versus the PS2?

I tried a PSP today briefly and was impressed, however
the screen seems somewhat low-resolution compared to
the PS2. Nevertheless I could see myself buying one,
especially when better games come out.

Thanks for any info.
333
6 answers Last reply
More about versus triangles second

    "Bush is a Fascist" <z333r@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anybody know how many triangles per second,
    > which seems to be a pretty good metric of 3D graphics
    > speed, the PSP can draw versus the PS2?
    >
    > I tried a PSP today briefly and was impressed, however
    > the screen seems somewhat low-resolution compared to
    > the PS2. Nevertheless I could see myself buying one,
    > especially when better games come out.
    >
    > Thanks for any info.
    > 333

    I will answer your question before your name gets you burned at the stake.
    While the PSP doesn't hold up graphically to the extent of the PS2, the fact
    that it is on such a small screen tricks the eye into thinking that you are
    looking at identical if not sometimes better graphics but it is only because
    of the scale of what you are playing.

    Mattinglyfan wrote:

    > While I agree with most things that you have said Ted, the only thing I will
    > say is that I have yet to see a port of a PS2 game that had BETTER graphics
    > on the PSP. It may look that way because of the screen size but true
    > graphics whores will point out that it is not the case. I personally don't
    > really care about that negligible difference because I will sacrifice that
    > for portability any day.

    I've only tried the PSP once, and I will probably wait to buy one
    until a real shoot-em-up game comes out, but it was indeed
    a novel experience.

    Previously I had only used the Gameboy portable, where the
    PSP really offers an entire other 3D world right in your
    hand. Bizarre yet wonderful.

    My only real gripe: Sony is being pissy about Linux, preventing
    the development of the kernel port via the new firmware.
    Lucky for them the PSP is still unique.

    333

    Mattinglyfan wrote:

    > "Bush is a Fascist" <z333r@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Does anybody know how many triangles per second,
    > > which seems to be a pretty good metric of 3D graphics
    > > speed, the PSP can draw versus the PS2?
    > >
    > > I tried a PSP today briefly and was impressed, however
    > > the screen seems somewhat low-resolution compared to
    > > the PS2. Nevertheless I could see myself buying one,
    > > especially when better games come out.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any info.
    > > 333
    > >

    > I will answer your question before your name gets you burned at the stake.
    > While the PSP doesn't hold up graphically to the extent of the PS2, the fact
    > that it is on such a small screen tricks the eye into thinking that you are
    > looking at identical if not sometimes better graphics but it is only because
    > of the scale of what you are playing.

    There are probably a number of games on the PSP where the graphics are
    better than the graphics of many games on the PS2; it's just that the
    PS2 is capable of providing better graphics than the PSP (altho that
    doesn't have anything to do with the original question).
    Speaking of the original question: what the hell does the technical
    output of a system have to do with a system which you have held in your
    hands and have found the graphical output to be good?

    > Mattinglyfan wrote:
    >
    >> While I agree with most things that you have said Ted, the only thing I
    >> will
    >> say is that I have yet to see a port of a PS2 game that had BETTER
    >> graphics
    >> on the PSP. It may look that way because of the screen size but true
    >> graphics whores will point out that it is not the case. I personally
    >> don't
    >> really care about that negligible difference because I will sacrifice
    >> that
    >> for portability any day.
    >
    > I've only tried the PSP once, and I will probably wait to buy one
    > until a real shoot-em-up game comes out, but it was indeed
    > a novel experience.

    Socom is coming to the PSP

    > Previously I had only used the Gameboy portable, where the
    > PSP really offers an entire other 3D world right in your
    > hand. Bizarre yet wonderful.

    Is there a non-portable Gameboy? ;)

    > My only real gripe: Sony is being pissy about Linux, preventing
    > the development of the kernel port via the new firmware.
    > Lucky for them the PSP is still unique.
    >
    > 333

    There are programs that circumvent the firmware restrictions but I have yet
    to try any of the things I see at www.psp-hacks.com for fear of turning my
    psp into a $200 paperweight.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Hi, I can tell you what I remember from the official Sony specs.

    first, Playstation2:
    66 million vertices / triangles per second calculated by the Emotion
    Engine, and 75 million triangles per second can be drawn by the
    Graphics Synthesizer (obviously the EE can only feed 66M per second to
    the GS, thus as a result the EE can never overload the GS

    ok now the PSP
    PSP can *calculate* 33 or 35 million vertices / triangles per second
    at the full 333 MHz clock frequency, which currently restricted to 222
    MHz, so that cuts vertex / triangle rate down by 1/3. so, this
    33~35 million per sec is currently at about 22-23 million per sec. at
    222 MHz. Remember, this is the amount that can be transformed /
    calculated, so you can think of this PSP triangle/sec number as you
    would the 66M per sec that Emotion Engine in PS2 does.

    I do not know how many triangles per second the PSP can actually draw
    and display on screen. it is most likely significantly less than 22-23
    million per sec. I am going to take a guess - my guesstimate, I
    would say, is maybe around 5 to 8 million triangles displayed on
    screen (peak) with texture mapping, lighting, gouraud shading,
    filtering, etc. which is somewhat higher than what Dreamcast could
    do, but not much higher.

    current games on PSP are probably pushing significantly less than 5-8
    million triangles on screen. maybe a million or two million. again,
    just a guess. Definitally alot more than the amount of textured and
    lit triangles that the PS1 could do in games
    (180,000 /sec max) which is less than one fifth of a million, or what
    N64 could do (160,000 /sec max) also less than a fifth of a million.

    PSP is easily 10 times more powerful than PS1 or N64, maybe 20 times
    more powerful, and also noticably more powerful than Dreamcast - but
    PSP is significantly *less* poweful than PS2, Gamecube or Xbox.
    however because the PSP renders to a smaller screen with less pixels
    than a 480p television, combined with the fact that PSP's GPU has a few
    hardware features that PS2 does not have, the *equivalent* power the
    PSP has is very comparable to the PS2. however, since PSP is
    currently restricted to 2/3 of its max clockspeed, we are not seeing
    the full capabilities of the machine, even concidering first generation
    software.

    now to be clear, nobody is saying that PSP has some kind of magical
    hidden power locked in it that will be seen later. all I am saying is,
    we will see more and more of the potential of PSP later on, once the
    clockspeed limitation is removed, combined with the fact that, as
    always, game developers get better at using the hardware later in the
    lifecycle.

Console Gaming PlayStation Games Video Games