Sign in with
Your question

Final Build Review

Last response: in Systems
January 17, 2012 8:57:10 AM

OK, here we go...

This has morphed as time has gone by, so I am going to post for one more review.

I started picking up pieces about 4 months ago and now I have about enough gear for 11/2 computers...

Case: Coolermaster Cosmos II $349.00 Tiger Direct. (On pre-order), sending back the Silverstone FT02-BW...I had concerns about this case and then I saw the Cosmos II and had to have it. i will keep the Storm Sniper case for my Son's computer when I build it...

CPU: Intel 3930K $619.00 Amazon waiting on shipment...I have upgraded myself all the way from the 2500K...I typically like the best I can afford...It lasts longer.

Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme/BF $439.00 Amazon (In Hand)...might as well pick up the game as well. Have the Maximus IV Extreme G sitting in the box...Will either sell it on EBAY or build a 2nd rig with it for my boys...

GPU: Sapphire 6950 Toxic (X2) $530.00 NewEgg (In Hand)...Bought all the way back in October...I thought I would have everything together to build in November...Wish I would have waited if I had known it would take this long to get everything together I would have waited. Really wish I could go to 1 7970...I haven't seen a review how 2 6950's stack up against the new card yet. Oh well...

Power Supply: Seasonic Platinum 1000 $259.00 NewEgg (In Hand)...I realize I could have went with less power supply. I origianlly bought a Coolermaster Silent Pro RS850 for $89.00 Tiger Direct, but a lot of people had negative comments on these forums about Coolermaster, so I will use that for the boys computer when I build it. I always believe in more Horsepower...

SSD: Kingston HyperX 240GB $439.00-$65.00 Rebate Amazon (In Hand)...At some point will grab 2nd for Raid 0...probably a bit down the line..

HHD: Hitachi 7K1000.D 1TB...$89.00 (before pricing increases...In Hand) Will probably grab a 2nd for Raid 0...Wish I had gone 2TB X2 but, with the price increase, I will probably just grab another 1TB drive for now...

Memory: GSkill Sniper Series 16GB (X2) 2133 9-11-10-28 $318.00 NewEgg (In Hand)...I will keep the Corsair 1600 Vengence for my Son's build...

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RED $99.99 NewEgg (In Hand)... Will see how this works out, I was hesitent to do a water cooled rig...

Optical Drives: Plextor PX-LB950SA $145.00 The Nerds...Plextor PXL890SA DVD Writer $38.00 Both In Hand) The Nerds...

Anyway, this has gone on far longer than I had anticipated, but I kept upgrading myself...Now I am waiting on the last few parts, hoping I don't talk myself into the new 7970's...

Yes, I know I could have cut here and there and saved a bit and possibly upgraded. Probably the biggest thing I have learned so far is not to buy your GPU,CPU too far in advance...you are probably better off if you purchase everything all at once...and then quit reading! :lol: 

More about : final build review

Anonymous
January 17, 2012 9:08:58 AM

personally I am a fan of fractal cases, everything looks good but the prices seem high for a lot of things. what are you planning to use this for?
m
l
Anonymous
January 17, 2012 9:29:19 AM

if your going to spend this much on a build you might want to think about bitfenix cable extensions unless you do sleeving your self
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2012 9:35:39 AM

I looked at the Fractal Define XL case and read an article on a build with it, I think Maximum PC...Understaed cases and quiet if I remember correctly. I thought I had decided on the Silverstone, I liked the idea of positive pressure as it was explained to me by TwoBoxer here on this forum. I really liked the motherboard set up and the case was nice. However, I had a few concerns with the case.

But, then I had read about the Coolermaster Cosmos II in their Ultimate PC build and liked it a lot...I came across a release date as I was reconsidering the Silverstone and ordered it on the spot. I had always liked the previous version as well.

As for the use, all around PC...But, I have been getting a bit into Video Editing with the kids games and so forth and will be doing a lot of picture work with it as well. I want to be able to put videos together for the Grandparents, that kind of thing. Next season I would like to put a video together for the whole season, a compilation, that kind of thing. I like Photography too...

Will probably throw it in with my Home Theater somehow as well...I have all kinds of uses for it...I like my time and hate to wait on anything, so I want fast and faster :D 
m
l
January 17, 2012 9:41:54 AM

Anonymous said:
if your going to spend this much on a build you might want to think about bitfenix cable extensions unless you do sleeving your self

Yes, I read this article at TweakTown:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4266/bitfenix_alchemy_...

I planned on this as well, just not sure about how it will all flow...not sure exactly what I will want until I get the case in my hands. I would like to do it all at once, but I don't know if I can wait that long or not. But, I definately want a clean build.
m
l
January 17, 2012 2:20:31 PM

ANY other comments? Just looking for any input that would be helpful... :hello: 
m
l
January 17, 2012 2:43:34 PM

this one would be a great build but imo if our technology keeps going up like it was in the past 5 years, an i3/i5/i7 sandybridge (i3 2100/it 2500k/i7 2600k/i7 3960x) will stay at most 5 years, of course they are still usable, examples would be gaming, you can use them as our system from 5 years ago are still usable until now but, but yes these are one of the best parts you can get if you can afford them, specially at the cosmos II, it's making me drool as i really like that case better than my current level 10 GT, but anyways moving on...... gaming wise, this would last you same as the older i3/i5/7 series at most 5 years effective gaming, that is without upgrade from GPU and other stuff, as more years pass by it's effectiveness will be lessen and then that's when you need to upgrade, but if you compare it to our current 1155 platform, since in my case i expect my i5 build up to last me same as 5 years as most system does, and for me i also expect to buy a whole new pc (except some parts) but in your case mostly the only thing you will change is your CPU/GPU everything else is wonderful ^_^ but they are on the expensive side, seeing as you have the fat wallet to afford these then go for it, it's an overall wonderful build, that although last the same years as the others at minimum of 5 years but when you upgrade your system you don't need to problem a lot of other stuff unless they are broken ^_^
m
l
January 17, 2012 2:51:22 PM

That is how I look at it too...I know these parts will last in one computer or another for the next 3-5 years...I have multiple computers in the house and as I upgrade this one, parts can be moved to another. As far as the case, that will last me a LONG time. The same goes for the power supply, that will last a long time as well. As far as cost, I look at it from the perspective of spend more now and get it done for a few years at least or constantly be on the upgrade path...Of course, I am already thinking about the GPU's :o  I don't know, maybe I look at things differently. Thanks for the reply...
m
l
!