Q9450 Weird Temperatures

Ryuten

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
So recently I decided to overclock my old rig which has a Q9450 in it so I decided to buy an aftermarket. I picked up an antec kuhler box and installed it using AS5 thermal paste. However when I booted up the computer and checked the temps (using real temp) it showed cores 1-2 on 58 and 3-4 on 44 degrees Celsius on idle. I tried reseating the heatsink but I still got the exact same temperatures. If I run prime 95 (stock) the temperatures hit 70s and 80s. Also the weird thing is that when I touch the heatsink it isn't even warm until i stress test it, then it blows out warm air. Does anyone have any idea why this could be?

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Well remember that the Core 2 Quads were 2 connected Core 2 Duo chips in one package, unlike the native quad cores of today. This could definitely lead to those thermals, especially if one chip happens to run cooler than the other through some variance in manufacturing.

Ryuten

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
After doing some research I've decided it's probably a defective DTS in the cpu. Apparently the 45nm chips were plagued with this issue. I've touched the base of the heatsink of my cpu while running prime 95, and it only felt "warm" nowhere near the almost 100 degrees my temp monitors were reporting (if this was the true temperature i'd be covered in burns haha)