Will a sound card make a difference for this speaker?

decarn

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Hi Folks,

I know that sound is very subjective but I would still like to hear from you. I'm building a new rig and I have more or less decided on the Creative GigaWorks T40 speakers. I would have gone for the AV40 or AV30M if not for its high price.

I will like to know if:

1) The onboard sound can maximize the potential of the Creative speakers? I would not want to buy an expensive 2.0 speaker, only to find that it is ‘under performing’.

2) Will there be any notable difference between MSI Z77A-GD65 (Realtek ALC898) and ASUS P8Z77-V PRO (Realtek ALC892) when used on the Creative speakers?

3) If a sound card is the best option, are there any good sound cards for 2.0/2.1 speakers only? Since I don’t intend to go for 5.1/7.1 setup, I’m hopping not to spend too much on a sound card – one that can bring out the potential of a 2.0/2.1 speakers will do.

Thanks.

jwk3

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I have those speakers, I was originally running off my onboard sound card (MSI P67a-C45 mobo), but I have recently upgraded to an Asus Xonar DG 5.1 card due to background static in my headphones. I can't tell any difference between the devices in terms of sound quality (but I'm not an audiophile) , although the software that comes with my card has a few equaliser and other features/settings; the flexbass function is nice and does make a difference with those speakers.

decarn

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Thanks Guys.

dirtyferret, I didn't know that the T40 is that bad. I read the reviews from Tom's hardware that they are a pretty decent 2.0 speakers.

jwk3, thanks for your input. MSI P67a-C45 is also using a ALC892 similar to ASUS. I guess, I can safely use the onboard sound for them.

Let's see if other forumers have anything to share. :)

sk1939

Distinguished

They're not bad, but realise that there are speakers that go into the $1000's as far as cost for the speakers alone. It's all relative, and while they are not bad, they are not the best (I have the T20's) and will not expose the flaws in your sound card like, say, studio monitors will. Additionally, if you generally play 128 or 160kbps mp3 files, then the speakers and onboard audio will be just fine.