Sign in with
Your question

HTPC Build

Last response: in Systems
January 17, 2012 2:13:49 AM

Hello,

I'm starting to piece together a new HTPC build and wanted to run this buy the members for opinions. Looking for an energy efficient and quiet build, mostly used for music, downloaded movies and all purpose computing. Budget is $700, going with the onboard graphics because I am not planning to game on this machine. This is my solution so far.

Already Purchased;

Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX
$50

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
$90

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk
$20

Yet to Purchase;

Intel Core i3-2105 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD 3000 Graphics

GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Combo price $245

Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$70

SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum skin reinforced plastic front panel, 0.8mm SECC body MILO Series ML03B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
$70

Windows 7 64 bit SP1
$110

Questioning the power supply and case a bit. Calculated the total wattage = 225W. No cooling fans in this case either....any extra cooling solution necessary? Also considered an AMD build but not really sure on that either because of the extra heat but open to any opinions.

Thanks in advance

More about : htpc build

January 17, 2012 10:15:20 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
January 17, 2012 11:20:35 AM

I built a very similar PC maybe 6 months ago, same case and PSU which I've had no problems with. The ML03 is very nice, a bit plain, but great for a clean, understated look.
I went with an A6 with my build though, as I use XBMC and wanted to make sure all the HD backdrops and animations were smooth, and I don't have much faith in intel integrated graphics (though they have improved).
Further to that, an i3 and discrete graphics card came out more expensive than just an A6 chip on its own.

Have you considered a sound card? If you have any HD movies or a good sound system you may want to consider getting something better than integrated.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 17, 2012 11:40:51 AM

mm. The mass of ram is unneeded. In fact with 4gb you would be great. I'd say keep 1 set and sell the other or use somewhere else.
AMD Llano builds are more powerful.
You can get a nice hec case that includes a psu of 300watt. Hec is very sturdy. Also the case is smaller and cuter and it doesn't look like a pc, rather it looks like an old vcr... kinda.
The AMD build will come cheaper, the case will be more quiet. Also, you could use ubuntu and save up the money on the OS.
m
l
January 17, 2012 3:01:07 PM

The ram I bought on a Boxing day special at a rediculous price so thought that I would use it. Sound card would be a nice add on as well (suggestions?). I was looking to originally do an AMD build but got convinced that an Intel build would be better, which combo of AMD processor and motherboard would you suggest? Will an A4 be acceptable or go with an A6? I'm going to check into the HEC case, but I'm a bit restricted on size to fit into my entertainment unit ( 19" x 6" x 13").
m
l
January 17, 2012 3:52:24 PM

i made a setup for someone on this forum earlier today. have a look:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...
the foxconn seems to fit and the first hec i propose is even smaller (but only 200watts and only slim 5.25"
A6 is lovely for the job. Make sure it has the HD 6530D graphics and better get a A75 motherboard. A75 has sata3 and usb3, i don't see why you shouldn't get usb3 now and enjoy it when usb3 devices are wide-spread in a few years.
The price difference is big and also the performance on the graphics of a fm1 processor is so much better than the intel.
m
l
January 18, 2012 5:22:44 AM

Agreed with all above.
You will get too much power, which the htpc will not effectively use.
4gb and 300watt is more then enough.
I3 or llano chip.intel Hd3000 against amd a6xxx. You want dxva.
m
l
January 18, 2012 9:30:11 PM

Looks like a pretty good build. I'd say 4gb is more than enough memory; 16gb is definitely overkill. Maybe invest in a blueray burner/player? If you don't already have one. And I would definitely go for a sound card especially if you want surround sound and good blueray playback. I am also currently researching components needed for not only an HTPC, but for an entire home theater setup for my new house. (hence I found this thread)

I also have an open question to ask for anyone. With new video cards (radeon 6000/7000 series geforce 460/500 series) supporting 7.1 channel audio bit streaming over HDMI, will a dedicated sound card be of any use? I am thinking of getting a low-ish end video card (550ti or 6770) for my HTPC system for light gaming and such.
m
l
January 19, 2012 1:23:38 AM

I've decided that I want to stick with an Intel build. Although AMD has it's advantages I am morally obligated to go with Intel. I'm now thinking of adding a video card and audio card as well and will add a Blu Ray later on. Here's what I propose;

Intel i3-2120
Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W
LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk

GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68. Should this remain the same since I'm not utilizing the on board graphics? If not, I would prefer to stick with Asus or Gigabyte boards for alternatives.

Video: either GT 430/440 or HD 6570/6670

Sound Card: Need the digital out thingy (S/PDIF?) and really reasonable price.
m
l
June 7, 2012 6:15:09 PM

vx53c said:
mm. The mass of ram is unneeded. In fact with 4gb you would be great. I'd say keep 1 set and sell the other or use somewhere else.
AMD Llano builds are more powerful.
You can get a nice hec case that includes a psu of 300watt. Hec is very sturdy. Also the case is smaller and cuter and it doesn't look like a pc, rather it looks like an old vcr... kinda.
The AMD build will come cheaper, the case will be more quiet. Also, you could use ubuntu and save up the money on the OS.

What is an hec case??
m
l
June 7, 2012 9:48:55 PM

Wolfshadw said:
hec CompuCase

-Wolf sends

Thanks. Seems like a good form factor. Do you think this would be adequate for:

nVidia GTX240
Intel Q9400
mATX mobo with 8 Gig RAM
1 HDD and/or 1SDD
Blu Ray recorder
my own standard Dell ATX psu with very short cables

m
l
June 7, 2012 11:30:59 PM

It's a low profile case, so the graphics card will have to be low profile as well. It looks to have a proprietary power supply, so I don't think you'll be able to swap it out for your own. The rest of the components should be fine.

-Wolf sends
m
l
June 8, 2012 4:07:43 PM

I'm not a big fan of cubes, but if it works for you, go for it!

-Wolf sends
m
l
!