Processor has agglutinated too much with cpu

edzha90

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
how can I separate CPU from processor ? now it's like a glue which is impossible split from each other, so what is the best way to sever that ? :bounce:

Turn the computer on. Run any program that will heat the cpu.
Prime 95, OCCT, Intel burn test, as examples. once the cpu is good and warm turn off computer an gently twist the heatsink clockwise then counter clockwise several times.
Now lift the heatsink from one side,not straight up.

loneninja

Distinguished
I had to use a screw driver once to pry a processor from a heatsink, but be careful not to damage it, processor popped off and flew a few feet.

Usually I just run the computer first as it softens the paste from the heat, but if you can't do that your probably just going to have to pry it off .

PMentior

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
If the computer can't boot using a heat gun/hair dryer could do the trick. All you need is to heat the Thermal past enough to soften it up a little.

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
hair dryer method works great, dont get to close to heat it. It doesnt take much usually and dont forget you just heated it up, wear a pair of gloves.

edzha90

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
it worked, brilliant guys, hair dryer worked like a charm!!! :) The CPU become very hot from which material it's made ?

The last question how can I find which motherboards will work with my old computer processor ?

Information on processor -
Intel MC'01
Pentium 4
2.80GHZ/512/533
SL6PF China
5422b167

PMentior

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
The 478 socket is the physical size and layout of the CPU's pins, so yes. As to those 3 motherboards working with your CPU I really have no idea. They have the 478 socket but there maybe other requirements too. That CPU is really old and outdated so there really isn't much of a selection for you.

Really at this point it would probably be easier and better to upgrade to a current system if that is a possibility for you.

TRENDING THREADS