GTA: San Andreas gets AO rating!

Last response: in Video Games
July 20, 2005 8:09:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635198p1.html

Oh man, Rockstar is screwed. This means they have to recall all copies of
GTA:SA and reissue an M-rated version with no "Hot Coffee" content, which
won't be in stores until the fall!

Apparently retailers can still sell the game with an AO rating, but a lot of
major retailers won't stock AO games period. This is gonna cost a lot of
people a lot of $$$. Heads are gonna roll at Rockstar over this.

I'll be hanging on to my copy with the Hot Coffee content. Bet you see a
slew of 'em on ebay any minute now. :)

-Z-

More about : gta san andreas rating

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 8:12:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Ten bucks says whoever put the Hot Coffee mod in will be fired.

And I guarantee you that eBay will probably immediately step in and not
allow current copies of GTASA to be sold or auctioned. It will be the
first step toward eBay banning the sale and/or auction of all Mature
games.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 8:22:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Either retailers will pull their copies of GTA:SA from the shelves, or
they'll still sell them but have a strict policy of not selling it to
anyone under either 18 or 21 and require valid ID for all transactions.
July 20, 2005 8:58:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Doesn't Rockstar also face the possibility of being prosecuted by the
FTC for false and misleading advertising?
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 9:23:17 PM

<DarthChaosofRSPW@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ten bucks says whoever put the Hot Coffee mod in will be fired.
>
> And I guarantee you that eBay will probably immediately step in and not
> allow current copies of GTASA to be sold or auctioned. It will be the
> first step toward eBay banning the sale and/or auction of all Mature
> games.

Bah. Ten bucks says they give the guy a bonus for renewing interest in this
title.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 11:09:07 PM

On 20 Jul 2005 16:12:23 -0700, DarthChaosofRSPW@gmail.com wrote:

>Ten bucks says whoever put the Hot Coffee mod in will be fired.
>
>And I guarantee you that eBay will probably immediately step in and not
>allow current copies of GTASA to be sold or auctioned. It will be the
>first step toward eBay banning the sale and/or auction of all Mature
>games.

Oh come on! This made the game more popular. They couldn't have bought
this kind of publicity in their wildest dreams. Sending out rolls of AO
stickers to cover up the Ms will cost nothing in comparison to the $$$
they'll be raking in.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

i agree completely. I'll bet game sales go bananas in the next three or
four days.

Bad publicity for a company like Rockstar = good publicity for a
company like Disney...

.... not that i'd ever compare the two, but you know... i mean...
uhhm... nevermind.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:11:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

I disagree with anyone who thinks RockStar is gonna make any money out
of this deal. Every major retailer has pulled the game from their
shelves. Not that they were selling a lot of them, but all those
returns will hurt. With materials and shipping they're looking at at
least a few buck per copy.

Sure, they'll sell like hotcakes on eBay, but RockStar won't see a
penny there. And when the fixed version is released, they're not going
to sell any better at retail than they were before the controversy.

Wanna make some money? Start hacking into the thousands of other games
out there that undoubtedly have hidden content in them. Find something
juicy, and get yourself a nice 6-figure programming job with the
publisher with a hefty signing bonus in exchange for not dropping a
patch on the Internet. ;-)

--
Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

As much as I promised myself I wouldn't buy this game I kinda feel
obligated now. Picked up the PC version on the way home from work. :^)

It's going on the shelf with the original Night Trap and my bootleg of
Thrill Kill.

- Jordan
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 2:37:19 AM

JoblessDave wrote:

> Ten bucks says [Rockstar] gives the guy a bonus for
> renewing interest in this title.

Well put.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:16:38 AM

In alt.games.video.xbox Zackman <zackman@spamisevilearthling.net> wrote:
> http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635198p1.html

> Oh man, Rockstar is screwed. This means they have to recall all copies of
> GTA:SA and reissue an M-rated version with no "Hot Coffee" content, which
> won't be in stores until the fall!

I still think this is a stupid decision. What's next? Shall we make The
Sims AO as well because you can re-skin the characters so they'll be nude
(instead of pixelated) while showering?

> Apparently retailers can still sell the game with an AO rating, but a lot of
> major retailers won't stock AO games period. This is gonna cost a lot of
> people a lot of $$$. Heads are gonna roll at Rockstar over this.

I still think it'll be interesting to see what happens. I bet you that a
few retailers will make adjustments so they can keep selling the AO
version of GTA. After all, would you be willing to give up such a strong
revenue earner just because it's AO?

> I'll be hanging on to my copy with the Hot Coffee content. Bet you see a
> slew of 'em on ebay any minute now. :)

No doubt!
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:16:39 AM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:25:59 +0100, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:

>"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I still think it'll be interesting to see what happens. I bet you that a
>> few retailers will make adjustments so they can keep selling the AO
>> version of GTA. After all, would you be willing to give up such a strong
>> revenue earner just because it's AO?
>
>1) This fuss has appeared as sales for PS2 must have all but died and we
>have gone past the intial rush of PC sales.
>
>2) Wal Mart will not stock the game with this rating. This is a major blow.

These two points are only individually a threat. When combined, Rockstar
already made their profit (unless there are still massive warehouses of
that sort of stuff - in which case Rockstar is in trouble.)

>>> I'll be hanging on to my copy with the Hot Coffee content. Bet you see a
>>> slew of 'em on ebay any minute now. :)
>>
>> No doubt!
>
>A load of bullsh1t that they have been pulled up about this, when it is
>content that can only be unlocked with a *lot* of trouble. Without going to
>all that trouble of seeing nothing worse than can be seen after 7pm on the
>telly, you can murder randomly, commit GRAND THEFT AUTO, punch people, shoot
>policemen, firemen etc. and commit allsorts of CRIME.

That reminds me - doesn't the ESRB now require a disclaimer stating that
game content changes with online or modified play? If so, then I guess
that means that GTA:SA could potentially be changed from whatever it is
into a turn-based strategy game, as opposed to being changed to have
naughty content.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:20:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

DarthChaosofRSPW@gmail.com wrote:
> Ten bucks says whoever put the Hot Coffee mod in will be fired.

LOL! Oh, you think?
July 21, 2005 5:01:51 AM

Zackman wrote:
> http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635198p1.html
>
> Oh man, Rockstar is screwed. This means they have to recall all copies of
> GTA:SA and reissue an M-rated version with no "Hot Coffee" content, which
> won't be in stores until the fall!
>
> Apparently retailers can still sell the game with an AO rating, but a lot of
> major retailers won't stock AO games period. This is gonna cost a lot of
> people a lot of $$$. Heads are gonna roll at Rockstar over this.
>
> I'll be hanging on to my copy with the Hot Coffee content. Bet you see a
> slew of 'em on ebay any minute now. :)
>
> -Z-

Just checked; 502 listings for the game (I only checked the first page;
there were two selling just the cheat codes at a Buy Now price of
15.99!) I still say that PT Barnum was born in the wrong timeframe...^_^

--
New version of an old favorite!
The Briefcase Fulla Rant!

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:09:30 -0600, Zackman
<zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote:

>http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635198p1.html
>
>Oh man, Rockstar is screwed. This means they have to recall all copies of
>GTA:SA and reissue an M-rated version with no "Hot Coffee" content, which
>won't be in stores until the fall!
>
>Apparently retailers can still sell the game with an AO rating, but a lot of
>major retailers won't stock AO games period. This is gonna cost a lot of
>people a lot of $$$. Heads are gonna roll at Rockstar over this.
>
>I'll be hanging on to my copy with the Hot Coffee content. Bet you see a
>slew of 'em on ebay any minute now. :)
>
>-Z-

EB Games is still selling San Andreas for all platforms. Just changed
the rating to AO.

Gamestop has apparently pulled the title. Kinda strange since EB
and Gamestop are soon to merge.

Shouldn't Brady update their Official San Andreas Strategy Guide to
include all the important details with regard to accessing and viewing
the Hot Coffee mod ? :-) :-)

John Lewis
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 10:46:31 AM

> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:09:30 -0600, Zackman
> <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote:
>
>>http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635198p1.html
>>
>>Oh man, Rockstar is screwed. This means they have to recall all copies of
>>GTA:SA and reissue an M-rated version with no "Hot Coffee" content, which
>>won't be in stores until the fall!
>>
>>Apparently retailers can still sell the game with an AO rating, but a lot
>>of
>>major retailers won't stock AO games period. This is gonna cost a lot of
>>people a lot of $$$. Heads are gonna roll at Rockstar over this.
>>
>>I'll be hanging on to my copy with the Hot Coffee content. Bet you see a
>>slew of 'em on ebay any minute now. :)
>>
>>-Z-
>
> EB Games is still selling San Andreas for all platforms. Just changed
> the rating to AO.
>
> Gamestop has apparently pulled the title. Kinda strange since EB
> and Gamestop are soon to merge.
>
> Shouldn't Brady update their Official San Andreas Strategy Guide to
> include all the important details with regard to accessing and viewing
> the Hot Coffee mod ? :-) :-)

Mr. Cable obviously didn't have time to sample "all" teh retailers. I
suspect that in time this move will dilute the "AO" rating. Parents will
see AO on a game as popular an benign as GTA:SA and that rating will cease
to carry the shock weight it had prior to just yesterday.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:14:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

I highly doubt it. Who told you this? Cause whoever told you this is lying
to your face.
"Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
> http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635198p1.html
>
> Oh man, Rockstar is screwed. This means they have to recall all copies of
> GTA:SA and reissue an M-rated version with no "Hot Coffee" content, which
> won't be in stores until the fall!
>
> Apparently retailers can still sell the game with an AO rating, but a lot
> of
> major retailers won't stock AO games period. This is gonna cost a lot of
> people a lot of $$$. Heads are gonna roll at Rockstar over this.
>
> I'll be hanging on to my copy with the Hot Coffee content. Bet you see a
> slew of 'em on ebay any minute now. :)
>
> -Z-

July 21, 2005 11:22:43 AM

On 20 Jul 2005 22:11:35 -0700, "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote:

>As much as I promised myself I wouldn't buy this game I kinda feel
>obligated now. Picked up the PC version on the way home from work. :^)
>
>It's going on the shelf with the original Night Trap and my bootleg of
>Thrill Kill.

Huh? Just play it, it is a truly great game.
July 21, 2005 11:24:56 AM

<zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> desperately over hyped:

>http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635198p1.html
>
>Oh man, Rockstar is screwed. This means they have to recall all copies of
>GTA:SA and reissue an M-rated version with no "Hot Coffee" content, which
>won't be in stores until the fall!

Can you tell me where in that (or any other) article it says they have
to do a complete recall?
July 21, 2005 11:28:01 AM

Boody Bandit wrote:

> Don't you have to only be 18 to purchase adult movies?
> Why not just change the rating to M18 and be done with it?
> M17 never made sense to begin with.

Because Walmart and Target will sell games with a M "suggested" for 17+
players, but you put an "adult" label on it and they won't touch it
with a 10-foot pole. It's the same way they'll sell R-rated movies,
but not porn.

After seeing video of the hot coffee minigame, putting an AO rating on
the game is just ridiculous. If it were a less popular game, this
whole thing wouldn't raise an eyebrow. It's all just politics...
Hillary going out and trying to look like she's protecting your little
kids from the big evil video game business.

--
Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
cable@creaturecantina.com
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:41:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Yeah, but don't you have to do that age verification thing with a
credit card to even see those auctions?
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:56:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

<DarthChaosofRSPW@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ten bucks says whoever put the Hot Coffee mod in will be fired.
>
> And I guarantee you that eBay will probably immediately step in and not
> allow current copies of GTASA to be sold or auctioned. It will be the
> first step toward eBay banning the sale and/or auction of all Mature
> games.

You do know that you can puchase hardcore porn and adults toys on eBay,
don't yah?
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:59:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
> http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635198p1.html
>
> Oh man, Rockstar is screwed. This means they have to recall all copies of
> GTA:SA and reissue an M-rated version with no "Hot Coffee" content, which
> won't be in stores until the fall!
>
> Apparently retailers can still sell the game with an AO rating, but a lot
of
> major retailers won't stock AO games period. This is gonna cost a lot of
> people a lot of $$$. Heads are gonna roll at Rockstar over this.
>
> I'll be hanging on to my copy with the Hot Coffee content. Bet you see a
> slew of 'em on ebay any minute now. :)

Don't you have to only be 18 to purchase adult movies?
Why not just change the rating to M18 and be done with it?
M17 never made sense to begin with.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 12:14:33 PM

Bill Cable wrote:

> Sure, they'll sell like hotcakes on eBay...

Doubtful. How many copies of the PS2 version have been sold? Two
million? Besides, to access the pixelated titz-a-lated you have to buy
one of those cheating devices (Action Replay?). All that to play a
softcore porn mini-game? Yeah, Bilgecunt might do it, and others of his
pimply-faced ilk, but this isn't Rez we're talking about.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 12:41:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
> http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635198p1.html

Why is it that games have ratings but LIVE accounts don't?
Is it because it's up to the parents to decide?
*boggles the mind*
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:29:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message

> I still think this is a stupid decision.

Obviously, you're clueless.

> What's next? Shall we make The
> Sims AO as well because you can re-skin the characters so they'll be nude
> (instead of pixelated) while showering?

That wouldn't get an AO rating. You need to review the ratings.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:44:04 PM

"Wurm" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:D bo3rs$9ho$1@dns3.cae.ca...

> remember, its the country where you can buy a gun and kill someone 3 or 5
> years before youre allowed to buy a beer or a pack of cigs, and they
> wonder
> why theyre messed up ;o)

That's retarded. You can go to the store and buy a knife and kill someone
when you're baby. BAN KNIVES! No wonder they're so messed up. An forks
can smart a bit too. The only sanctioned utensil is the spork.

BTW, "why they're messed up" is an ignorant statement.
Switzerland basically requires all adult males to have guns, and their
homicide rate is lower than countries that have strict gun control laws,
sorry... can't help myself........ idiot.

Really should apply some critical thinking skills to what your handlers have
to parrot.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:46:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

<DarthChaosofRSPW@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Doesn't Rockstar also face the possibility of being prosecuted by the
> FTC for false and misleading advertising?

I wonder. But, the caption did say that there could be that content in
there. This all seems to be more about ESRB saving face.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:46:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

I wonder why this game was singled out when things like
having a naked playable Kasumi in DOA2 way back in
the days of the DC were not. Maybe GTA is too popular
for its own good.

--
All Purpose Culture Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
> http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635198p1.html
>
> Oh man, Rockstar is screwed. This means they have to recall all copies of
> GTA:SA and reissue an M-rated version with no "Hot Coffee" content, which
> won't be in stores until the fall!
>
> Apparently retailers can still sell the game with an AO rating, but a lot
of
> major retailers won't stock AO games period. This is gonna cost a lot of
> people a lot of $$$. Heads are gonna roll at Rockstar over this.
>
> I'll be hanging on to my copy with the Hot Coffee content. Bet you see a
> slew of 'em on ebay any minute now. :)
>
> -Z-

FFS ya cant even see any cocks or pussy...
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:03:22 PM

> Yeah, but don't you have to do that age verification thing with a
> credit card to even see those auctions?

Just your user name and password.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:15:58 PM

"Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> wrote in message
> "Wurm" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:D bo3rs$9ho$1@dns3.cae.ca...
>
> > remember, its the country where you can buy a gun and kill someone 3 or
5
> > years before youre allowed to buy a beer or a pack of cigs, and they
> > wonder
> > why theyre messed up ;o)
>
> That's retarded. You can go to the store and buy a knife and kill someone
> when you're baby. BAN KNIVES! No wonder they're so messed up. An forks
> can smart a bit too. The only sanctioned utensil is the spork.
>
> BTW, "why they're messed up" is an ignorant statement.
> Switzerland basically requires all adult males to have guns, and their
> homicide rate is lower than countries that have strict gun control laws,
> sorry... can't help myself........ idiot.
>
> Really should apply some critical thinking skills to what your handlers
have
> to parrot.

The word "thinking" is the problem. He can spout rhetoric, that's easy.
Thinking require work.

--

Dr. Dickie
"Let be be finale of seem.

"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> <DarthChaosofRSPW@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Yeah, but don't you have to do that age verification thing with a
> > credit card to even see those auctions?
>
> Just your user name and password.

but the user name and password associated to the account that youre using to
look at adult content must have a valid credit card associated to it. I used
to have two separate accounts, one for buying and one for selling, and only
my seller account had a CC attached to it and I could not look at the adult
auctions with my buyer account.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:21:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Quoth The Raven "Zackman"<zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> in
BF0427B9.12782%zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net
> http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635198p1.html
>
> Oh man, Rockstar is screwed. This means they have to recall all
> copies of GTA:SA and reissue an M-rated version with no "Hot Coffee"
> content, which won't be in stores until the fall!
>
> Apparently retailers can still sell the game with an AO rating, but a
> lot of major retailers won't stock AO games period. This is gonna
> cost a lot of people a lot of $$$. Heads are gonna roll at Rockstar
> over this.
>
> I'll be hanging on to my copy with the Hot Coffee content. Bet you
> see a slew of 'em on ebay any minute now. :)
>
> -Z-

rather than recall them, Rockstar could just issue new stickers to go over
the original rating, Wal-Mart could then just ship the newly stickered disks
over to their other affiliate stores that can sell AO material.
--
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:21:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:21:34 +1000, "Highlandish"
<ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote:

>Quoth The Raven "Zackman"<zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> in
>BF0427B9.12782%zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net
>> http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635198p1.html
>>
>> Oh man, Rockstar is screwed. This means they have to recall all
>> copies of GTA:SA and reissue an M-rated version with no "Hot Coffee"
>> content, which won't be in stores until the fall!
>>
>> Apparently retailers can still sell the game with an AO rating, but a
>> lot of major retailers won't stock AO games period. This is gonna
>> cost a lot of people a lot of $$$. Heads are gonna roll at Rockstar
>> over this.
>>
>> I'll be hanging on to my copy with the Hot Coffee content. Bet you
>> see a slew of 'em on ebay any minute now. :)
>>
>> -Z-
>

>rather than recall them, Rockstar could just issue new stickers to go over
>the original rating,

Rockstar are going to..

Rockstar is only offering to take returns from dealers and
distribution, not retail customers.

>Wal-Mart could then just ship the newly stickered disks
>over to their other affiliate stores that can sell AO material.
>--

Of course. Waldenbooks or whatever they are called.
The Wal-Mart publicity about pulling the game from their shelves
is their usual PC game ( the other PC, not Personal Computer )..

John Lewis

>Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
>conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr
>
>Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:57:47 PM

"Wurm" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:D boeb6$h40$1@dns3.cae.ca...

> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > <DarthChaosofRSPW@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Yeah, but don't you have to do that age verification thing with a
> > > credit card to even see those auctions?
> >
> > Just your user name and password.
> >

> but the user name and password associated to the account that youre using
> look at adult content must have a valid credit card associated to it. I
used
> to have two separate accounts, one for buying and one for selling, and
only
> my seller account had a CC attached to it and I could not look at the
adult
> auctions with my buyer account.

correct.
but it's probably almost as easy for a teen to get around mom and pops eBay
account than it is to walk into a game store and pick GTA
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 5:05:14 PM

Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
>On 20 Jul 2005 16:12:23 -0700, DarthChaosofRSPW@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Ten bucks says whoever put the Hot Coffee mod in will be fired.
>>
>>And I guarantee you that eBay will probably immediately step in and not
>>allow current copies of GTASA to be sold or auctioned. It will be the
>>first step toward eBay banning the sale and/or auction of all Mature
>>games.
>
>Oh come on! This made the game more popular. They couldn't have bought
>this kind of publicity in their wildest dreams. Sending out rolls of AO
>stickers to cover up the Ms will cost nothing in comparison to the $$$
>they'll be raking in.

And getting the game pulled from Wallyworld and all the other big
retailers will make them EVEN MORE MONEY! ANTI-MONEY!!!!!
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 5:05:14 PM

> Don't you have to only be 18 to purchase adult movies?
> Why not just change the rating to M18 and be done with it?
> M17 never made sense to begin with.

Not for this game. I agree with you. GTA should only be for
adults.

--
Marc
"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Doug Jacobs <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:
>In alt.games.video.xbox Zackman <zackman@spamisevilearthling.net> wrote:
>> http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635198p1.html
>
>> Oh man, Rockstar is screwed. This means they have to recall all copies of
>> GTA:SA and reissue an M-rated version with no "Hot Coffee" content, which
>> won't be in stores until the fall!
>
>I still think this is a stupid decision. What's next? Shall we make The
>Sims AO as well because you can re-skin the characters so they'll be nude
>(instead of pixelated) while showering?

Does The Sims SHIP WITH animations and gameplay like this?
http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/611/611957/img_2926792.h...

>> Apparently retailers can still sell the game with an AO rating, but a lot of
>> major retailers won't stock AO games period. This is gonna cost a lot of
>> people a lot of $$$. Heads are gonna roll at Rockstar over this.
>
>I still think it'll be interesting to see what happens. I bet you that a
>few retailers will make adjustments so they can keep selling the AO
>version of GTA. After all, would you be willing to give up such a strong
>revenue earner just because it's AO?
>
>> I'll be hanging on to my copy with the Hot Coffee content. Bet you see a
>> slew of 'em on ebay any minute now. :)
>
>No doubt!
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 5:08:06 PM

"Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote:
>I disagree with anyone who thinks RockStar is gonna make any money out
>of this deal. Every major retailer has pulled the game from their
>shelves. Not that they were selling a lot of them, but all those
>returns will hurt. With materials and shipping they're looking at at
>least a few buck per copy.
>
>Sure, they'll sell like hotcakes on eBay, but RockStar won't see a
>penny there. And when the fixed version is released, they're not going
>to sell any better at retail than they were before the controversy.
>
>Wanna make some money? Start hacking into the thousands of other games
>out there that undoubtedly have hidden content in them. Find something
>juicy, and get yourself a nice 6-figure programming job with the
>publisher with a hefty signing bonus in exchange for not dropping a
>patch on the Internet. ;-)

You're a crazy man. Everyone knows the best way to make money in
business is to make the value of your shares plunge 45 cents.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 6:25:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
> http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635198p1.html
>
> Oh man, Rockstar is screwed. This means they have to recall all copies of
> GTA:SA and reissue an M-rated version with no "Hot Coffee" content, which
> won't be in stores until the fall!

Isn't wierd that some dude just happened to figure out how to unlock the
content? Riiiigggggghhhhht. It was done intentionaly and now they are
getting MASSIVE pub. Just the kind of pub a game like this wants.

> Apparently retailers can still sell the game with an AO rating, but a lot
> of
> major retailers won't stock AO games period. This is gonna cost a lot of
> people a lot of $$$. Heads are gonna roll at Rockstar over this.
>
> I'll be hanging on to my copy with the Hot Coffee content. Bet you see a
> slew of 'em on ebay any minute now. :)
>
> -Z-

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 7:20:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
> http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635198p1.html
>
> Oh man, Rockstar is screwed. This means they have to recall all copies of
> GTA:SA and reissue an M-rated version with no "Hot Coffee" content, which
> won't be in stores until the fall!
>
> Apparently retailers can still sell the game with an AO rating, but a lot
> of
> major retailers won't stock AO games period. This is gonna cost a lot of
> people a lot of $$$. Heads are gonna roll at Rockstar over this.
>
> I'll be hanging on to my copy with the Hot Coffee content. Bet you see a
> slew of 'em on ebay any minute now. :)
>
> -Z-

After the way I've seen them handle returns (even of console games), I'm
honestly very glad to see this happen to RockStar. Talk about karma coming
back at them.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:31:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>"Wurm" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:D bo3rs$9ho$1@dns3.cae.ca...
>
>> remember, its the country where you can buy a gun and kill someone 3 or 5
>> years before youre allowed to buy a beer or a pack of cigs, and they
>> wonder
>> why theyre messed up ;o)
>
>That's retarded. You can go to the store and buy a knife and kill someone
>when you're baby. BAN KNIVES! No wonder they're so messed up. An forks
>can smart a bit too. The only sanctioned utensil is the spork.
>
>BTW, "why they're messed up" is an ignorant statement.
>Switzerland basically requires all adult males to have guns, and their
>homicide rate is lower than countries that have strict gun control laws,
>sorry... can't help myself........ idiot.

Uh Fred, you're missing something there.
Switzerland requires all adult male _members_of_the_militia_ to have
guns. Guns that are issue to them.

People who are properly trained in the use of those weapons as well as
proper storage, handling, etc.

Any untrained bozo in the USA can buy a gun, so the two situations are
in no way parallel.

If ALL US gun owners had military training (or other training in the
proper use/storage/handling of firearms) you'd probably have the same
per capita homicide rate that the Swiss have.

But you don't, and it's unlikely you ever will.

>Really should apply some critical thinking skills to what your handlers have
>to parrot.

Judging by your example this applies to you too Fred.

Xocyll
July 21, 2005 9:09:54 PM

> On 20 Jul 2005 22:11:35 -0700, "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>As much as I promised myself I wouldn't buy this game I kinda feel
>>obligated now. Picked up the PC version on the way home from work. :^)
>>
>>It's going on the shelf with the original Night Trap and my bootleg of
>>Thrill Kill.
>
> Huh? Just play it, it is a truly great game.

Now that Best Buy has pulled it, it would seem that it will be harder and
harder to find.
July 21, 2005 9:45:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:09:30 -0600, Zackman <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net>
wrote:

>http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635198p1.html
>
>Oh man, Rockstar is screwed. This means they have to recall all copies of
>GTA:SA and reissue an M-rated version with no "Hot Coffee" content, which
>won't be in stores until the fall!
>
>Apparently retailers can still sell the game with an AO rating, but a lot of
>major retailers won't stock AO games period. This is gonna cost a lot of
>people a lot of $$$. Heads are gonna roll at Rockstar over this.
>
>I'll be hanging on to my copy with the Hot Coffee content. Bet you see a
>slew of 'em on ebay any minute now. :)

What about those retailers that don't come from the US? In the UK it is
already rated an 18. I doubt it will hurt sales at all. In fact I suspect it
will increase them because people will want the game just to see what all the
fuss is about.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 9:46:43 PM

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:09:07 -0500, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>On 20 Jul 2005 16:12:23 -0700, DarthChaosofRSPW@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Ten bucks says whoever put the Hot Coffee mod in will be fired.
>>
>>And I guarantee you that eBay will probably immediately step in and not
>>allow current copies of GTASA to be sold or auctioned. It will be the
>>first step toward eBay banning the sale and/or auction of all Mature
>>games.
>
>Oh come on! This made the game more popular. They couldn't have bought
>this kind of publicity in their wildest dreams. Sending out rolls of AO
>stickers to cover up the Ms will cost nothing in comparison to the $$$
>they'll be raking in.

Exactly my point and some people might even suggest that this was all a
deliberate ploy to further sensationalise the game to boost sales further.
Probably not but it sounds good.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 10:25:17 PM

RKRM wrote:

> Isn't wierd that some dude just happened to figure out how to unlock
> the content? Riiiigggggghhhhht. It was done intentionaly and now they
> are getting MASSIVE pub. Just the kind of pub a game like this wants.

And what about Take Two cuttung its earnest forecast by nearly $50 million
(not sure if that's for the quarter or the fiscal year) based solely on the
fact GTA:SA now has an AO rating? It is not "good publicity" to have your
game no longer being sold at some of the country's biggest retailers, and to
have to go through the expense of reissuing a new version in the hopes
they'll carry it again. (Walmart has said they're not even going to commit
to carrying the revised M version once it's available.)

-Z-
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 10:37:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:09:30 -0600, Zackman
<zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote:

>http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635198p1.html
>
>Oh man, Rockstar is screwed. This means they have to recall all copies of
>GTA:SA and reissue an M-rated version with no "Hot Coffee" content, which
>won't be in stores until the fall!

Surely, they shouldn't have to do both ?

If the content that is unlocked by the 'hot coffee' mod is what causes
it to receive an AO rating, then removing it removes the requirement for
re-rating.

--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/&gt;

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Those graphics look great! Who says 1999 didn't have good graphics. Wait, is
it 2005 already?

--
there is no .sig
"Bateau" <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in message
> Doug Jacobs <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:
>>In alt.games.video.xbox Zackman <zackman@spamisevilearthling.net> wrote:
>>> http://ps2.ign.com/articles/635/635198p1.html
>>
>>> Oh man, Rockstar is screwed. This means they have to recall all copies
>>> of
>>> GTA:SA and reissue an M-rated version with no "Hot Coffee" content,
>>> which
>>> won't be in stores until the fall!
>>
>>I still think this is a stupid decision. What's next? Shall we make The
>>Sims AO as well because you can re-skin the characters so they'll be nude
>>(instead of pixelated) while showering?
>
> Does The Sims SHIP WITH animations and gameplay like this?
> http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/611/611957/img_2926792.h...
>
>>> Apparently retailers can still sell the game with an AO rating, but a
>>> lot of
>>> major retailers won't stock AO games period. This is gonna cost a lot of
>>> people a lot of $$$. Heads are gonna roll at Rockstar over this.
>>
>>I still think it'll be interesting to see what happens. I bet you that a
>>few retailers will make adjustments so they can keep selling the AO
>>version of GTA. After all, would you be willing to give up such a strong
>>revenue earner just because it's AO?
>>
>>> I'll be hanging on to my copy with the Hot Coffee content. Bet you see a
>>> slew of 'em on ebay any minute now. :)
>>
>>No doubt!

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 10:57:41 PM

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 DarthChaosofRSPW@gmail.com wrote:
> Ten bucks says whoever put the Hot Coffee mod in will be fired.

> And I guarantee you that eBay will probably immediately step in and not
> allow current copies of GTASA to be sold or auctioned. It will be the
> first step toward eBay banning the sale and/or auction of all Mature
> games.

You're kidding, right? Considering that ebay happily allows anime porn
bootlegs to be sold, I can't see them giving 2 cares about a video game...
!