GTA: San Andreas gets AO rating! - Page 4

Last response: in Video Games
July 29, 2005 4:46:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 max <maxicon13@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I believe the US and the UK suffer from many of the same social
> problems, though with different underlying causes. If you don't get
> tough on violent criminals, then the reward for violent crime
> outweighs the risks, and there's no reason for them to stop.

I've got some coworkers from the UK, and they can't believe how much
slack, in general, American cops give criminals. According to them, if
you convince a cop to pull his weapon, you're going to get shot. That's
it. And if they have to call in their version of SWAT, you're going to
die. Period. The cops may not carry guns with them all the time, but
when they draw, it's because you are considered a serious threat to the
public safety, and you WILL be put down. Look at the recent incident
where the cops shot that guy in the subway. You can imagine if it happend
here, we'd have people crying for the resignation of the cops in question,
their commanding officer, and maybe even the commissioner.

Makes me wonder if our cops were like the ones in the UK, if we'd have as
many casual armed robberies or shootings. If nothing else, it might help
get rid of the stupid people who use a gun for otherwise minor crimes. I
mean, if you knew the penalty for armed robbery was a bullet to the head,
would you still risk it?

> Passing laws that only affect the law-abiding doesn't seem to do much
> good, for some reason.

Funny how that works....
July 29, 2005 1:42:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

In article <11eiv43gdnastd9@corp.supernews.com>, djacobs@shell.rawbw.com
says...
> In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 max <maxicon13@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I believe the US and the UK suffer from many of the same social
> > problems, though with different underlying causes. If you don't get
> > tough on violent criminals, then the reward for violent crime
> > outweighs the risks, and there's no reason for them to stop.
>
> I've got some coworkers from the UK, and they can't believe how much
> slack, in general, American cops give criminals. According to them, if
> you convince a cop to pull his weapon, you're going to get shot. That's
> it. And if they have to call in their version of SWAT, you're going to
> die. Period. The cops may not carry guns with them all the time, but
> when they draw, it's because you are considered a serious threat to the
> public safety, and you WILL be put down. Look at the recent incident
> where the cops shot that guy in the subway. You can imagine if it happend
> here, we'd have people crying for the resignation of the cops in question,
> their commanding officer, and maybe even the commissioner.

I'm from the UK and, believe me, there definitely are questions being
asked as to why the guy was shot. Unfortunately, what does seem to
happen here is that these things get whitewashed by those in power.
Yeah, an inquiry will be set up, but everything will be found to have
been 'justified' and the police will have acted in the only way
possible given the circumstances.

Not saying that in this particular case they genuinely had no choice,
though why they chose to leave things until he entered the tube station
but were happy for him to get on a bus seems strange, but that's how
police inquiries seem to end up. No policeman, as far as I'm aware, has
ever been prosecuted for shooting a civilian. Even when the civilian
has been unarmed.

--
Pete Ives
July 29, 2005 2:15:03 PM

"Marc L." <master.cougar@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Says teachers and adminstrators who realize that a minimum of 1/3
>> of a students day and close to 1/2 of their day awake is spent at
>> school. If w
>
> Not relevant. Yes, schools have become day cares, but that's not
> their purpose. Too many parents abrogate their responsibilities.

A parent can't teach a child to know how to work in a bigger environment
than a familiy. It's not necessarily the parent's responsibility to teach
such things to begin with. Village, you know?

> Teachers are overworked and unqualified to do what society demands
> they do.

That's moot.
July 29, 2005 2:18:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote

> Perhaps the real underlying problem is the rubric of ethics and philosophy
> aren't at all in the school curriculum no? Seems like we're too worried
> about appeasing everyone. I just think it should be.

Misplaced Tolerance, as the Buddhists would call it.

> I'm actually not against Neil or Fred. I see good premises in both
> arguments.

I'm not sure where I disagree. ?)
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 2:33:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On 29 Jul 2005 10:15:03 -0500, "Fred Liken"
<nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> wrote:

>"Marc L." <master.cougar@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>> Says teachers and adminstrators who realize that a minimum of 1/3
>>> of a students day and close to 1/2 of their day awake is spent at
>>> school. If w
>>
>> Not relevant. Yes, schools have become day cares, but that's not
>> their purpose. Too many parents abrogate their responsibilities.
>
>A parent can't teach a child to know how to work in a bigger environment
>than a familiy. It's not necessarily the parent's responsibility to teach
>such things to begin with. Village, you know?

Sure they can, and it definitely is their responsibility. Give the
kids tools to make decisions based on ethics and personal
responsibility, and they will learn how to interact with larger
groups. School isn't just sitting in classrooms - there's also
extensive social interaction, which is mostly unmoderated by teachers.

I should note that I'm talking about the higher grades here. There is
definitely more socialization training going on in the earliest
grades, say up to 3rd grade or so.

>> Teachers are overworked and unqualified to do what society demands
>> they do.
>
>That's moot.

Not at all. Where I live, a teacher's job description (and the
training/certification required to meet this description) doesn't
include behavioral training.

Ultimately, the parent is 100% responsible for how the kids come out.
Any expectation that the state is responsible for people's behavior is
going to be met with the success that it deserves.

July 29, 2005 3:33:19 PM

Fred Liken schrieb:
> BTW, like I said, the Swiss carry guns like crazy and their homicide rate is
> quite a bit less than Canada, even. Guns have nothing to do with the
> equation. Banning them can't change it.

While you are correct that Switzerland issues gun to males past a
certain age and requires them to have them, they are not allowed to
carry them. They guns have to be locked up in their homes, they are
issued 76 rounds of ammunition which have to be sealed and stored
seperately. Further, the guns are registered so it is virtually
impossible to use it in a crime and be undetected, they would know who
you are within a day or two.

As it's been said many times before, people kill people, not guns.
Switzerland is simply a different world and comparing it to the US
would be silly in any case.

There's nothing wrong with having guns available, but there seems
something wrong in our society since enough other countries show us
that having guns available is not the problem.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 7:21:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> wrote in

> A parent can't teach a child to know how to work in a bigger
> environment than a familiy. It's not necessarily the parent's
> responsibility to teach such things to begin with. Village, you
> know?

Many parents don't even teach them that. And yes, it is the
parents' responsibility.

--
Marc
"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Marc L." <master.cougar@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Many parents don't even teach them that. And yes, it is the
> parents' responsibility.

No, it's societies responsibility. Village. This whole "parent's are only
responsible" nonsense is relatively new and coincides with the decline.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 7:57:49 PM

Fred Liken wrote:
> "babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote
>

>>Perhaps the real underlying problem is the rubric of ethics and philosophy
>>aren't at all in the school curriculum no? Seems like we're too worried
>>about appeasing everyone. I just think it should be.
>

> Misplaced Tolerance, as the Buddhists would call it.
>

>>I'm actually not against Neil or Fred. I see good premises in both
>>arguments.
>

> I'm not sure where I disagree. ?)

Are you supposed to? ;\
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 7:57:50 PM

"babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> Fred Liken wrote:
>> "babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote
>>

>>>Perhaps the real underlying problem is the rubric of ethics and
>>>philosophy aren't at all in the school curriculum no? Seems like we're
>>>too worried about appeasing everyone. I just think it should be.
>>

>> Misplaced Tolerance, as the Buddhists would call it.
>>

>>>I'm actually not against Neil or Fred. I see good premises in both
>>>arguments.
>>

>> I'm not sure where I disagree. ?)
> Are you supposed to? ;\

I didn't know where you could be perceived as against me, so I didn't know
where I was disagreeing.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 7:57:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> Fred Liken wrote:
>> "babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote
>>

>>>Perhaps the real underlying problem is the rubric of ethics and
>>>philosophy aren't at all in the school curriculum no? Seems like we're
>>>too worried about appeasing everyone. I just think it should be.
>>

>> Misplaced Tolerance, as the Buddhists would call it.
>>

>>>I'm actually not against Neil or Fred. I see good premises in both
>>>arguments.
>>

>> I'm not sure where I disagree. ?)
> Are you supposed to? ;\

Ever hear the story about the frog and the scorpion? <g>
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 8:18:08 PM

Fred Liken wrote:
> "babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>
>>Fred Liken wrote:
>>
>>>"babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote

>>>Misplaced Tolerance, as the Buddhists would call it.

>>>I'm not sure where I disagree. ?)
>>
>>Are you supposed to? ;\
>

> I didn't know where you could be perceived as against me, so I didn't know
> where I was disagreeing.

I wasn't posting an argument; just my personal feelings on the subject
while letting the chips fall where they may. You're so defensive Freddy.....
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 9:21:11 PM

JoblessDave wrote:
> "babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>
>>Fred Liken wrote:
>>
>>>"babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote

>>>Misplaced Tolerance, as the Buddhists would call it.

>>>I'm not sure where I disagree. ?)
>>
>>Are you supposed to? ;\
>

> Ever hear the story about the frog and the scorpion? <g>

Heheh, in your prerogative, am I too assume that *I'm* the scorpion.
You know, I am a scorpio.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 9:21:12 PM

> JoblessDave wrote:
>> "babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

>>>Are you supposed to? ;\
>>

>> Ever hear the story about the frog and the scorpion? <g>
>
> Heheh, in your prerogative, am I too assume that *I'm* the scorpion. You
> know, I am a scorpio.

Since it is from Dave, I am guessing that Fred is the Scorpion and you are
the Scorpio.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 9:22:57 PM

JoblessDave wrote:
> "babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>
>>Fred Liken wrote:
>>
>>>"babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote

>>>Misplaced Tolerance, as the Buddhists would call it.

>>>I'm not sure where I disagree. ?)
>>
>>Are you supposed to? ;\
>

> Ever hear the story about the frog and the scorpion? <g>

You know, that's kind of like the story about the woman and the snake
(in Natural Born Killers). Ever hear that one?
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 7:48:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
>
>> How many of those knife incidents you refer to are one person killing
>> multiple victims at the same time?
>
>It's a completely moot point.

It's not a moot point at all fred.

>It wouldn't change any statistics in a
>meaningful way. You're being inane.

Yes it would. If city X has a population of 100k and one lone nutter
kills 1000 people that doesn't say too much about how dangerous that
city is.
If those 1000 people were killed by 1000 different nutters, that's a
pretty dangerous place to be.

Your chance of being killed are 1000x higher in the second city, since
there's 1000 killers all over town not just one.

In the specific case of knives, it's IMPOSSIBLE for someone with a knife
to kill mass numbers of people the way someone with a gun can, since a
knife can be defended against in ways a gun can't be

>BTW, didn't they have pipe bombs as well, or was that some place else?

No idea, I never paid that much attention to it after they started
trying to blame it on game companies.

Xocyll
July 30, 2005 9:53:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 03:48:58 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>>BTW, didn't they have pipe bombs as well, or was that some place else?
>
>No idea, I never paid that much attention to it after they started
>trying to blame it on game companies.

The had propane bombs, but they failed to go off. If they had, they
would have killed far more people. Likewise, a fertilizer bomb would
have been easier and more effective. Fortunately, they didn't swing
that way.

The largest school killing in US history was committed with dynamite,
back in the 1927, by the school treasurer.
http://www.boulderdailycamera.com/shooting/4251927.html

When it comes to totally over-the-edge acts by individuals, there's
simply no way to predict or prevent them.

max
July 30, 2005 10:11:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On 29 Jul 2005 11:06:10 -0500, "Fred Liken"
<nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> wrote:

>"Marc L." <master.cougar@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Many parents don't even teach them that. And yes, it is the
>> parents' responsibility.
>
>No, it's societies responsibility. Village. This whole "parent's are only
>responsible" nonsense is relatively new and coincides with the decline.

Sounds like you've been reading Hillary's book. I didn't know you
swung that way, Fred!

Seriously, there are 4 things that shape a child's personality and
behavior:

- Genetics (nothing you can do about that after conception)
- Family upbringing
- Community
- Life experiences

None of these can be deconvolved from the others. All are important,
and each influences the others.

My interpretation is that genetic makeup forms the base that the
individual's personality starts from, and the rest of it shapes the
overall leanings and twists.

Because family upbringing forms the earliest and most pervasive
shapings, I consider it to be the most important, by far, with
community and life experiences sharing roughly equal influences.

This is all based on empirical data, including the raising of two kids
who are like night and day, but I'm personally well convinced of the
validity.

I've always liked the lines from _12 Angry Men_:
Ed Begley - "What are you so polite about?"
George Voskovec - "For the same reason you are not: I was brought up
that way."

max
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 10:43:45 PM

max wrote:

> I've always liked the lines from _12 Angry Men_:
>
> Ed Begley - "What are you so polite about?"
>
> George Voskovec - "For the same reason you are not:
> I was brought up that way."

Excellent cite -- I think I'll pop it in right now.
July 31, 2005 5:01:14 AM

"max" <maxicon13@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 03:48:58 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
> wrote:
>

> The largest school killing in US history was committed with dynamite,
> back in the 1927, by the school treasurer.
> http://www.boulderdailycamera.com/shooting/4251927.html

...which was obviously also caused by a reaction to a game...
July 31, 2005 5:02:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"max" <maxicon13@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 03:48:58 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
> wrote:
>
>>>BTW, didn't they have pipe bombs as well, or was that some place else?
>>
>>No idea, I never paid that much attention to it after they started
>>trying to blame it on game companies.
>
> The had propane bombs, but they failed to go off. If they had, they
> would have killed far more people. Likewise, a fertilizer bomb would
> have been easier and more effective. Fortunately, they didn't swing
> that way.
>
> The largest school killing in US history was committed with dynamite,
> back in the 1927, by the school treasurer.
> http://www.boulderdailycamera.com/shooting/4251927.html
>
> When it comes to totally over-the-edge acts by individuals, there's
> simply no way to predict or prevent them.
>
> max

...which was obviously caused by a reaction to a game...

http://www.stare.com/art/chess/chess7.html

(Pressed send instead of paste on the last one)
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 8:38:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in

>> The largest school killing in US history was committed with
>> dynamite, back in the 1927, by the school treasurer.
>> http://www.boulderdailycamera.com/shooting/4251927.html
>>

> ..which was obviously also caused by a reaction to a game...

Yeah, BINGO really led to lots of violent behaviour. Apparently
BINGO was invented in 1927. As was PEZ candy.

--
Marc
"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as
outraged as those who are."--Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 6:51:07 PM

Thusly "Marc L." <master.cougar@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>>> The largest school killing in US history was committed with
>>> dynamite, back in the 1927, by the school treasurer.
>>> http://www.boulderdailycamera.com/shooting/4251927.html
>>
>> ..which was obviously also caused by a reaction to a game...
>
> Yeah, BINGO really led to lots of violent behaviour. Apparently
>BINGO was invented in 1927. As was PEZ candy.

Wouldn't charleston or lindy hop have been the main causes of moral
corruption and violence in the 20's?
Although Bingo might well qualify, together with ankle-length skirts.
July 31, 2005 10:29:30 PM

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:51:07 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly "Marc L." <master.cougar@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>>> ..which was obviously also caused by a reaction to a game...
>>
>> Yeah, BINGO really led to lots of violent behaviour. Apparently
>>BINGO was invented in 1927. As was PEZ candy.
>
>Wouldn't charleston or lindy hop have been the main causes of moral
>corruption and violence in the 20's?
>Although Bingo might well qualify, together with ankle-length skirts.

Here's an interesting article about the correlation between violence
and video games in the US:
http://gr.bolt.com/articles/violence/violence.htm

max
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 2:23:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote

>>>Are you supposed to? ;\

>> I didn't know where you could be perceived as against me, so I didn't
>> know where I was disagreeing.

> I wasn't posting an argument;

I didn't think you were.

> You're so defensive Freddy.....

NO I'M NOT! TAKE THAT BACK!!!!
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 2:25:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"max" <maxicon13@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> The largest school killing in US history was committed with dynamite,
> back in the 1927, by the school treasurer.
> http://www.boulderdailycamera.com/shooting/4251927.html
>
> When it comes to totally over-the-edge acts by individuals, there's
> simply no way to predict or prevent them.

YEs! We MUZT! ban teh gunz, man! Quite beng a natzee!
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 2:26:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

> ..which was obviously also caused by a reaction to a game...

I once smacked an old lady at a nursing home for beating me at checkers.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 8:48:29 PM

Fred Liken wrote:
> "babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote