Will these parts work together for my new computer

d4rkmidget

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

swoz

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
If you want to stick with AMD, I'd go with a Phenom X4 or X6 - the FX series hasn't proven to be a good performer for most applications.

For around the same cost as the FX you have here, a large portion of new builds use the intel i5-2500k.

What do you want the PC for? What kind of activities? Any reason for AMD over intel?

d4rkmidget

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Wow really fast responses lol.

I am a comp-sci major and art minor with a bad addiction to video games lol.

I need it to run Photoshop & illustrator quickly. Also yes I do play a lot of video games but I have filled up an 8 GB ram computer with my Photoshop lol.

And to be honest I was just looking at the CPU's and saw the 8 core in AMD. I am still researching the difference in Intel and AMD to see which is better for me. (I will look into the Phenoms)

I am a college student too so I was looking for better prices on new egg with that much power, speed and memory.

d4rkmidget

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Also should I consider Over clocking? (never done it before)

Some changes made thanks to all of y'all.

CPU: Phenom II X4

RAM: is 1600 to work with MOBO but still 16 GB

SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 I looked it up so I understand it better now and thank you Azathoth for the SSD idea.

Any other advice would be grateful and thank you so much everyone so far. (I am trying to keep it under 1400$ on new egg and with all this and a HD Screen I am roughly at 1300$)

OH I need to know (and have looked it up but still confused) will a AM3 cpu work in a AM3+ MOBO??

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

An AM3 processor will work fine in a AM3+ socket, however Since you wish to also use Photoshop and Illustrator, I would recommend still getting the 8-core Zambezi that you originally had picked.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103961

Photoshop/Illustrator seldom use more then 4 cores, however some filters do, and having the 8 cores frees up more system resources from background tasks.

Spending the extra $70 will give you a small performance boost along with making it more future proof.

I highly recommend doing a small bit of overclocking as well, stock processors can usually be overclocked by a minimum of 15% across all cores, often more providing a free and significant speed boost.