Closed Solved

350 Watt power supply and I want a 400 watt Graphics card?

Hello,
so I want a new graphics card, Sapphire Radeon 5670 to be exact (came across some videos of it the other day on youtube and it looked perfect for what i needed)
anyways it needs a 400 Watt power supply, and I found out I only have a 350 Watt.

So will it work? Or will it just not work at all?

I opened up the computer and the psu said 350W so yeah that's how i know I have 350 Watts if you were wondering.

Anyways here are the specs:
(these are taken from dxdiag, and cpu-z)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
Core Speed 1999.8 MHz
Motherboard:
Dell Inc.
0m017G A00
PCI-Express 16X
Memory: DDR2 6144 MB
Right now I am using an ATI Radeon HD 3450 card.

In cpu-z it also says "TDP: 95 W" I don't know if that has anything to do with this lol

So answers would be appreciated. I am a noob at all of this so if I messed anything up or typed any unneeded info, sorry :)
Thanks in advance :3
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about watt power supply watt graphics card
  1. TheWolfRj said:
    Hello,
    so I want a new graphics card, Sapphire Radeon 5670 to be exact (came across some videos of it the other day on youtube and it looked perfect for what i needed)
    anyways it needs a 400 Watt power supply, and I found out I only have a 350 Watt.

So will it work? Or will it just not work at all?

I opened up the computer and the psu said 350W so yeah that's how i know I have 350 Watts if you were wondering.

Anyways here are the specs:
    (these are taken from dxdiag, and cpu-z)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
    Core Speed 1999.8 MHz
    Motherboard:
    Dell Inc.
    0m017G A00
    PCI-Express 16X
    Memory: DDR2 6144 MB
    Right now I am using an ATI Radeon HD 3450 card.

In cpu-z it also says "TDP: 95 W" I don't know if that has anything to do with this lol

So answers would be appreciated. I am a noob at all of this so if I messed anything up or typed any unneeded info, sorry :)
    Thanks in advance :3

From what I've seen the card only uses 118 watts under load, so you should be good to go.
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/27732-sapphire-hd-5670-1gb-gddr5-review-18.html
  2. Assuming the psu is also a Dell you should be fine.
  3. The 5670 needs 26A on the 12V rails. This is more important than the wattage.
  4. FunSurfer said:
    The 5670 needs 26A on the 12V rails. This is more important than the wattage.

Bottom line is that the PSU is fine for that card.
  5. Yah.
  6. Best answer
    For a system running with a single Radeon HD 5670 graphics card a power supply with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 18 Amps or greater is recommended. The Radeon HD 5670 itself will only draw a maximum 64 Watts (5.3 Amps from the +12V rail).

If the Dell 350 Watt power supply is the Delta OEM unit then it should have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 25 Amps. This is more than sufficient to run your system with a single Radeon HD 5670 graphics card.

It's not the power supply's wattage that determines whether the graphics card and system will receive sufficient power. The only power supply specification that really matters is the combined +12 Volt continuous current rating. If you don't meet this specification requirement your system isn't going to work properly no matter how high of a Wattage the power supply claims to have.
  7. GreenDutchAlien said:
    Assuming the psu is also a Dell you should be fine.

I do have a dell power supply.

Thanks for all the answers everyone :) this forum is so helpful.
  8. Best answer selected by TheWolfRj.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power Supplies Graphics