Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrading laptop processor

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 30, 2012 3:43:00 PM

I am wanting to upgrade the processor in my laptop and wanted to get some input before I jumped in. I have an acer aspire 5733z-4851 and it has a P6100 in it now. I was lookin at putting a I5-480m in it. They are both the same socket type and have the same power ratings. I was wondering if anybody had any knowledge of why i could or couldnt do this. Would I see any benefit from the upgrade?
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2012 4:35:15 PM

You will get a speed boost, but it's a difficult upgrade since a laptop has a lot of screws and small, easily breakable connectors.
m
0
l
April 30, 2012 4:42:17 PM

Talk to Acer and make sure there is support for the processor you want to put in the machine. Socket type is only one thing you have to match. It is possible that Acer limits the BIOS compatibility in the BIOS.

Also, the new proc may generate more heat and have different cooling requirements. A lot of notebooks can be upgraded, but you will need to stay within the specs outlined by the manufacturer.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 30, 2012 10:18:17 PM

Yes the P6100 has integrated graphics in the processor, just like the I5 I am looking at. I will have to talk to Acer to see if the BIOS is locked towards changing the processor. As far as heat goes there may be some but not much of an increase as for power specs the P6100 and I5 I am comparing have the same specs.
m
0
l
August 22, 2013 8:00:53 AM

hello my laptop is toshiba satellite c660 12t my processors is intel core i3 i want to upgrade to i7 but is very very hard is there i9
m
0
l
August 26, 2013 9:16:07 AM

docmccoy8604 said:
Yes the P6100 has integrated graphics in the processor, just like the I5 I am looking at. I will have to talk to Acer to see if the BIOS is locked towards changing the processor. As far as heat goes there may be some but not much of an increase as for power specs the P6100 and I5 I am comparing have the same specs.


Did you ever go through with this upgrade? I've inherited a 5733z with the P6100 in it and might upgrade the cpu if you had success with yours. The Gen 1 i5-480m is very inexpensive now and would double the performance of this 5733z. That would make a decent little laptop.
m
0
l
August 26, 2013 11:01:21 AM

gamerpc said:
hello my laptop is toshiba satellite c660 12t my processors is intel core i3 i want to upgrade to i7 but is very very hard is there i9


Core i9 does not exist. The official word from Toshiba is that they don't support CPU upgrades in laptops. That's not to say that it cannot be done. I don't have familiarity with the satellite c660 12t specifically but the things to do would be to check the Chipset you have and see what processors are supported by the chipset. You must determine if your laptop has a soldered in CPU(not replaceable) or a socket style CPU (maybe replaceable) and then what I do is to see if you can indeed find a CPU supported by the chipset and it is a socket style CPU see if you can find someone else online that has tried it to see what their result was. Upgrading the CPU in a laptop requires some pretty specific technical knowledge about how to disassemble a laptop pretty much entirely without breaking it's myriad tiny plastic parts and very thin wires and connectors and is somewhat risky as your upgrade CPU may run hotter than your old one and laptops are designed with specific cooling plans for the CPU it was made with. All that to say even if you are successful at getting an upgrade CPU to work it might overheat or at least not last as long as the original and might damage both the CPU and the laptop itself if that happens. So if you have done your homework and willing to assume a bit of risk go for it and let us know how it turns out. If you aren't up for all that maybe add some RAM and a bigger hard drive to it and be happy with the laptop CPU you bought. There's nothing really wrong with the i3, for most general purposes it should be plenty fast.
m
0
l
January 6, 2014 2:18:29 PM

docmccoy8604 said:
I am wanting to upgrade the processor in my laptop and wanted to get some input before I jumped in. I have an acer aspire 5733z-4851 and it has a P6100 in it now. I was lookin at putting a I5-480m in it. They are both the same socket type and have the same power ratings. I was wondering if anybody had any knowledge of why i could or couldnt do this. Would I see any benefit from the upgrade?


The upgrade totally worked. I snagged a 480M from eBay for $26 before Christmas and today (due to the --12 degree temps and 24" of snow) I had time to entirely tear down my 5733z-4851 and swap it into place replacing the stock P6100. I first upgraded my Bios version to the latest (1.10) and then disassembled the laptop down to removing the Mboard and on the bottom side is the processer in it's socket. I swapped in the i5-480M and put enough of it back together to power it up and... Voila! It worked like it was made to. One reboot of W7 x64 to acknowledge the new hardware and a bucket load of screws later, it's now a reasonably decent laptop, all for $26 and some elbow grease. It is considerably faster than it was before and taskmgr now shows 4 cores instead of just 2. Hope this helps.
m
0
l
!