Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Powercolor 6770HD Not Working

Tags:
  • PowerColor
  • Computer
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 19, 2011 5:56:32 AM

Hello,
I recently bought a Powercolor 6770HD, and I even bought a new case+PSU for a nice card. It has a 480watt PSU. And I had to find an adapter for a 2x molex to 6 pin PCI E.

I am using a P55A-GD55 with an i5 (760 running at 2.8ghz I think?), and a stick of 2GB DDR3 (forgot much else about it)

This card worked for another computer, so it isn't the card. It's the compability with my current computer.

When I connected it, I get the 1 long+ 2 short beeps. Which means "Failure in video system. An error was encountered in the BIOS ROM, or a horizontal retrace failure has been encountered" on AMI BIOS.

However, when I connected this card to my other computer, no beeps, no nothing. It was running on 1/2 molex supplies. And there was no issue even when it was a 300 watt PSU.

Right now I have 2 cards connected to this current computer, an old 8500GT which seems to work fine. When I look under Device Manager, I don't find the 6770 under anywhere whatsoever. It's like a ghost...

Any help would be appreciated

More about : powercolor 6770hd working

November 19, 2011 8:04:36 AM

I've so far tried a few things. I've uninstalled the drivers on the 8500GT, and then shut down, took out the 8500GT, tried booting. Same problem.

I updated my BIOS, and I updated my motherboard drivers. Didn't work.

I've removed the CMOS battery, put it back, didn't work. I've been into the settings for BIOS, and it says PCI E for the primary display.

The RAM is 1333 or something along those lines.

I have tried to use DVI, that didn't work.
I can't try HDMI as I don't have a cable at this very moment. But I'll be able to use it possibly Monday.
Score
0
November 19, 2011 8:37:13 AM

Seeing as the card works in another computer, I'm going to blame the POS PSU you have. Get a better one.
Score
0
Related resources
November 19, 2011 8:43:03 AM

What motherboard do you have?

Im thinking its your PCI-e port thats not 2.1.

PS: There is a very good reason why Powercolor Graphics cards are so much cheaper.
Score
0
November 19, 2011 8:53:41 AM

4745454b said:
Seeing as the card works in another computer, I'm going to blame the POS PSU you have. Get a better one.


This other computer is like 3 years old, running a core 2 duo, and was a pre made Acer. What I just tried is. Had the 2 machines right beside each other. I connected the power supply from the Acer into the PCI E 6 pin. While the card was connected to the new config. Same issue.

Novuake said:
What motherboard do you have?

Im thinking its your PCI-e port thats not 2.1.

PS: There is a very good reason why Powercolor Graphics cards are so much cheaper.

It's an MSI P55A-GD55.

And I figured. I had this one open box, for $80.

How would I fix the PCI-E port not being 2.1. How do I even check to find out what it is?
Score
0
November 19, 2011 9:18:21 AM

There are no PCIe 2.1 ports. Only 2.0 and 1.0. (3.0 should be here soon.)

Quote:
This card worked for another computer,


What computer was this?
Score
0
November 19, 2011 9:19:32 AM

4745454b said:
There are no PCIe 2.1 ports. Only 2.0 and 1.0. (3.0 should be here soon.)

Quote:
This card worked for another computer,


What computer was this?


Yeah notice after I posted. My bad...
Score
0
November 19, 2011 9:23:44 AM

The card does seat properly. I've tried it on both of the PCI E slots. And I dont know if I forgot to mention, but the fan works when Power Supply is connected (It's also FREAKIN LOUD and ANNOYING)

And the rig outside of the chassis I wont be able to do till a couple of hours maybe or I'll end up waking people up. Its 4:30 am here.

And I will try a different power supply soon from my older case which was a 350, but considering it worked on an even older PC(the acer) I am still surprised.

This other computer was an Acer AM1640-E1550A with Windows 7.

Also wanted to say all your help is appreciated.
Score
0
November 19, 2011 9:37:44 AM

da pavinator said:
The card does seat properly. I've tried it on both of the PCI E slots. And I dont know if I forgot to mention, but the fan works when Power Supply is connected (It's also FREAKIN LOUD and ANNOYING)

And the rig outside of the chassis I wont be able to do till a couple of hours maybe or I'll end up waking people up. Its 4:30 am here.

And I will try a different power supply soon from my older case which was a 350, but considering it worked on an even older PC(the acer) I am still surprised.

This other computer was an Acer AM1640-E1550A with Windows 7.

Also wanted to say all your help is appreciated.


Yeah the noise is typical of Powercolor cards.

350W PSU is abit small, but you should be able too atleast determine if its PSU or not.

Retry the 8500GT too just as a test.
Score
0
November 19, 2011 3:54:44 PM

Well. Something worked. I took the mobo out of the case. lay it on my desk, used the same PSU, and.. it worked.

Installed the drivers and everything too.

What do you guys think is/was the problem?

I am also about to put it back in.

The one thing I did notice was the fan was not loud/full speed anymore.

I have a feeling I seated it not so well, but I also doubt it because I switched between the PCIE slots like 5 times at least, at least one of the times I would've it right. I'm not that bad..
Score
0

Best solution

November 19, 2011 4:18:28 PM

da pavinator said:
Well. Something worked. I took the mobo out of the case. lay it on my desk, used the same PSU, and.. it worked.

Installed the drivers and everything too.

What do you guys think is/was the problem?

I am also about to put it back in.

The one thing I did notice was the fan was not loud/full speed anymore.

I have a feeling I seated it not so well, but I also doubt it because I switched between the PCIE slots like 5 times at least, at least one of the times I would've it right. I'm not that bad..


I have seen this before. The case keeps the GPU from seating properly. You will probably need to bend it a bit.

Nothing serious, just unbelievably annoying and difficult to find the fault.
Share
November 19, 2011 4:20:07 PM

da pavinator said:
Well. Something worked. I took the mobo out of the case. lay it on my desk, used the same PSU, and.. it worked.

Installed the drivers and everything too.

What do you guys think is/was the problem?

I am also about to put it back in.

The one thing I did notice was the fan was not loud/full speed anymore.

I have a feeling I seated it not so well, but I also doubt it because I switched between the PCIE slots like 5 times at least, at least one of the times I would've it right. I'm not that bad..


And the fan speed of GPU makes sense as at POST/Startup the GPU cooler runs at max and then only after gets throttled down.

Score
0
November 19, 2011 4:26:59 PM

DONE! It worked. I guess I was a retard and maybe I didn't seat it right.

I just played MW3, 1080p on my TV on VGA. Legendary. Everything maxed out. I have never seen anything so pretty in my entire life, or ever owned anything so pretty.

Thanks for all your help guys. Really appreciated.
Score
0
November 19, 2011 4:28:40 PM

Best answer selected by da pavinator.
Score
0
!