Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

BG2 - starting out

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:29:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

HI, I am in the process figuring out what character to play. I am quite keen
to play an archer, but would like to keep Minsc as well. Is it a waste to
have two rangers in the party? Is it Ok to start out without a pure fighter,
am thinking of picking up mazzy at some stage? She seems to be the only pure
fighter. I would also like a pure mage (are the dual class mages as good as
a pure mage?) which points towards Edwin - but becase he is chaotic evil he
may cause big problems with other party members.

Any advice would be welcome, but please no spoilers
cheers
Nutman

More about : bg2 starting

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:29:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

In article <42a9e876@clear.net.nz>, NUTMAN <nlsing@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
# I would also like a pure mage (are the dual class mages as good as
# a pure mage?) which points towards Edwin - but becase he is chaotic evil he
# may cause big problems with other party members.

The dual classes are actually better, as they're dualled early enough not
to affect overall advancement. Edwin has that ridiculous free-spell
amulet though, plus his specialization bonus. That said, I can't stand
the guy.

My advice: role-play it. You can win with almost any party combination,
though all-melee or all-magic take a bit of tactical knowledge. And if
your party is generally good, the game gives you a wealth of options.

S.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:29:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

"NUTMAN" <nlsing@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
news:42a9e876@clear.net.nz...
> HI,

Hey there, NUTMAN!

>I am in the process figuring out what character to play. I am quite keen
> to play an archer, but would like to keep Minsc as well. Is it a waste to
> have two rangers in the party?

No, it's fine to have two rangers.

>Is it Ok to start out without a pure fighter,

Yes, it's ok to never have a pure fighter.

> am thinking of picking up mazzy at some stage?

That would be ok too.

>She seems to be the only pure fighter.

She's the only good-aligned fighter.

>I would also like a pure mage (are the dual class mages as good as
> a pure mage?)

The dual class mages in this game (Nalia and Imoen) are effectively
pure mages in that they didn't stay in the thief class long enough to
soak up much XPs from the mage class. Imoen however has enough
XPs to function as a group's only thief.

The multiclass mages (Jan and Aerie) are also good. A multiclass
character, BTW, continues to split XPs between classes while a
dual classed character has finished advancing in one class and has
started a new class.

Pure, dual, multi - they're all good.

>which points towards Edwin - but becase he is chaotic evil he
> may cause big problems with other party members.

It's possible. If you're going with a "good" group then I suggest
choosing your mage(s) from these: Imoen, Nalia, Aerie, and Jan.

> Any advice would be welcome, but please no spoilers
> cheers

Happy hobgoblin hunting.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:29:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

The thing is Every Evil character is the best in his/her class, no doub
about it, so the only choice is if you want to be powerfull, or want to
be a role player. Although if you want to be both, I recommend an evil
PC... its a really interesting experience. OR you can play with evil
and good characters... thats what the game is all about! you will hear
them argue and mess with each other, it's pretty fun actually. You just
have to worry to keeep your reputation bellow 19 so that the evil
characthers wont leave.

Steven Chung ha escrito:
> In article <42a9e876@clear.net.nz>, NUTMAN <nlsing@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> # I would also like a pure mage (are the dual class mages as good as
> # a pure mage?) which points towards Edwin - but becase he is chaotic evil he
> # may cause big problems with other party members.
>
> The dual classes are actually better, as they're dualled early enough not
> to affect overall advancement. Edwin has that ridiculous free-spell
> amulet though, plus his specialization bonus. That said, I can't stand
> the guy.
>
> My advice: role-play it. You can win with almost any party combination,
> though all-melee or all-magic take a bit of tactical knowledge. And if
> your party is generally good, the game gives you a wealth of options.
>
> S.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:29:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

that may be, but Vicky is much, MUCH hotter...

also, she has really good stats and some magic resistance (being drow),
and improved with the gauntlest of strength and belt of constitution
she gets to st 19, const 18 and dex 19, add a couple of spells and she
can be a really great fighter, anyway I prefer her with a sling from
the back of the party to take advanage of her dex.



Jason Compton ha escrito:
> FmC <antilopeloco@gmail.com> wrote:
> : The thing is Every Evil character is the best in his/her class, no doub
> : about it,
>
> There is lots and lots of doubt about it where Viconia is concerned. Anomen gets plenty of bonus
> spells if he gets his knighthood. He destroys undead instead of controlling it. And he can call
> down Holy Smite on his own head without running the risk of taking massive damage.
>
> --
> Jason Compton jcompton@xnet.com
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:29:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

I forgot, controlling undead instead of killing them can be fun, I
think that is just a matter of oppinion
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:29:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

FmC <antilopeloco@gmail.com> wrote:
: The thing is Every Evil character is the best in his/her class, no doub
: about it,

There is lots and lots of doubt about it where Viconia is concerned. Anomen gets plenty of bonus
spells if he gets his knighthood. He destroys undead instead of controlling it. And he can call
down Holy Smite on his own head without running the risk of taking massive damage.

--
Jason Compton jcompton@xnet.com
!