Help With New Graphics Card?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
I just purchased a 9600GSO for my computer. I put it in and my monitor shows "No Signal". I thought it was my BIOS and it needed to be updated, but gateway shows there are no updates available for my computer.

The next question would be, is the card even compatible or is it a DOA?
Here are the specs:

Computer/Motherboard: Gateway DX4200 / Gateway RS780 (AM2)
Graphics Card: XFX GeForce 9500 GSO

Also, my MOBO could run a 8600GT, if that makes any difference.

I am running Windows 7 64Bit.

Solution
I'm really out of ideas, besides triple checking its seating all the way and the cords.... checking the reviews on neweg or amazon for your model and others with the same issue... if I have a lightbulb go off ill be back
since you had a 8600 I assume you have covered all these but just to be safe...

is your monitor on the right input? HDMI/DVI, are you plugged into the card and not the board?

have you tried the onboard video? is the onboard video disabled?

if you are using a different input then your 8600 have you tried a different monitor to see if that input is deffective?

I wouldn't think this would matter but a BIOS update might not hurt.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Well, my monitor is a Acer LCD and is a VGA to VGA cable, but I have an adapter I use. That doesn't seem to be the problem, because the card I have in my pc as we speak is using the adapter also.

I haven't ever tried the onboard video (haven't needed to, always had a card in that worked).

Like I said, Gateway's website said there isnt a BIOS update available for my computer.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Update: Tried my on-board, got the same "NO SIGNAL" message on my LCD screen as I do with the 9600GSO. I assume its either disabled or not working.. I couldn't find a setting in the BIOS to disable/enable it however...

@Robjordy: If you are talking about the PCI-E cord, no. For some reason this graphics card does not have ports for that.

I see it should be a dvi-i connector so the adapter should work. the power supply requirements should be the same... 400 Watts. do you have access to any other PC you can try it in? maybe a buddies?

I can't think of anything else at the moment with them being so similar, except a bad card.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

So my computer is compatible with this card? The motherboard supports it? (That is the main thing I want to know, Don't want another if I can't even use it).

Unfortunately, no. I do not have a computer that I can use this in.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Yes, it receives all the power from the slot. No ports on the card at all.

My PSU is a 430Watt Corsair CX430.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
I'm going to just buy a HDMI cord off of a website. Its only $6 after shipping, so its not that big of deal.

Reviews on newegg only complained it was a loud fan, none said it was DOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.