Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Help With New Graphics Card?!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 19, 2011 8:14:58 AM

I just purchased a 9600GSO for my computer. I put it in and my monitor shows "No Signal". I thought it was my BIOS and it needed to be updated, but gateway shows there are no updates available for my computer.

The next question would be, is the card even compatible or is it a DOA?
Here are the specs:

Computer/Motherboard: Gateway DX4200 / Gateway RS780 (AM2)
Graphics Card: XFX GeForce 9500 GSO

Also, my MOBO could run a 8600GT, if that makes any difference.

I am running Windows 7 64Bit.

More about : graphics card

a c 78 U Graphics card
November 19, 2011 8:41:49 AM

since you had a 8600 I assume you have covered all these but just to be safe...

is your monitor on the right input? HDMI/DVI, are you plugged into the card and not the board?

have you tried the onboard video? is the onboard video disabled?

if you are using a different input then your 8600 have you tried a different monitor to see if that input is deffective?

I wouldn't think this would matter but a BIOS update might not hurt.
Score
0
November 19, 2011 8:50:53 AM

unksol said:
since you had a 8600 I assume you have covered all these but just to be safe...

is your monitor on the right input? HDMI/DVI, are you plugged into the card and not the board?

have you tried the onboard video? is the onboard video disabled?

if you are using a different input then your 8600 have you tried a different monitor to see if that input is deffective?

I wouldn't think this would matter but a BIOS update might not hurt.



Well, my monitor is a Acer LCD and is a VGA to VGA cable, but I have an adapter I use. That doesn't seem to be the problem, because the card I have in my pc as we speak is using the adapter also.

I haven't ever tried the onboard video (haven't needed to, always had a card in that worked).

Like I said, Gateway's website said there isnt a BIOS update available for my computer.
Score
0
Related resources
a c 104 U Graphics card
November 19, 2011 8:58:57 AM

You did plug in the power cable did you ?
Score
0
November 19, 2011 9:02:51 AM

Update: Tried my on-board, got the same "NO SIGNAL" message on my LCD screen as I do with the 9600GSO. I assume its either disabled or not working.. I couldn't find a setting in the BIOS to disable/enable it however...

@Robjordy: If you are talking about the PCI-E cord, no. For some reason this graphics card does not have ports for that.
Score
0
a c 78 U Graphics card
November 19, 2011 9:04:39 AM

I see it should be a dvi-i connector so the adapter should work. the power supply requirements should be the same... 400 Watts. do you have access to any other PC you can try it in? maybe a buddies?

I can't think of anything else at the moment with them being so similar, except a bad card.
Score
0
a c 104 U Graphics card
November 19, 2011 9:06:47 AM

Huh, no port ?

It receives all the power from the slot then ? Full load poweruse is about 100W.

How many watts is your psu btw ?
Score
0
November 19, 2011 9:07:26 AM

unksol said:
I see it should be a dvi-i connector so the adapter should work. the power supply requirements should be the same... 400 Watts. do you have access to any other PC you can try it in? maybe a buddies?

I can't think of anything else at the moment with them being so similar, except a bad card.



So my computer is compatible with this card? The motherboard supports it? (That is the main thing I want to know, Don't want another if I can't even use it).

Unfortunately, no. I do not have a computer that I can use this in.
Score
0
November 19, 2011 9:08:22 AM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Huh, no port ?

It receives all the power from the slot then ? Full load poweruse is about 100W.

How many watts is your psu btw ?



Yes, it receives all the power from the slot. No ports on the card at all.

My PSU is a 430Watt Corsair CX430.
Score
0
a c 104 U Graphics card
November 19, 2011 9:11:15 AM

PSU should be more than fine.

Probably an underpowerd version than without a port. Through the pcie slot there is a maximum of 79W i believe.

Out of ideas then.

Score
0
a c 104 U Graphics card
November 19, 2011 9:15:19 AM

It should be compatible btw.
Score
0
November 19, 2011 9:18:07 AM

GreenDutchAlien said:
It should be compatible btw.



So did I just get a DOA card? I know its getting power because the fan is running.
Score
0
a c 78 U Graphics card
November 19, 2011 9:22:17 AM

you don't happen to have a TV that uses HDMI you could try it on?
Score
0
November 19, 2011 9:27:12 AM

unksol said:
you don't happen to have a TV that uses HDMI you could try it on?



I do! But I don't have a HDMI Cord... :\
Score
0

Best solution

a c 78 U Graphics card
November 19, 2011 10:13:25 AM

I'm really out of ideas, besides triple checking its seating all the way and the cords.... checking the reviews on neweg or amazon for your model and others with the same issue... if I have a lightbulb go off ill be back
Share
November 19, 2011 10:16:25 PM

I'm going to just buy a HDMI cord off of a website. Its only $6 after shipping, so its not that big of deal.

Reviews on newegg only complained it was a loud fan, none said it was DOA.
Score
0
November 20, 2011 7:47:51 AM

Best answer selected by xmsteel.
Score
0
!