Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help with choosing a new cpu please help

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 30, 2012 6:43:40 PM

I have an Acer aspire 7551 laptop with a and athlon II dual core CPU s1 socket type and its only 2.1 ghz I was hoping that there would be something out there I could get with around 3.0-3.6 ghz that's compatible with my PC any ideas??

More about : choosing cpu

a b à CPUs
April 30, 2012 8:08:10 PM

To my knowledge the fastest version was 2.4ghz on that socket... but someone else might know more.

If it is it will probably not be worth the upgrade :( 
m
0
l
a c 105 à CPUs
April 30, 2012 8:19:37 PM

In addition, keep in mind that higher CPU frequencies will also create more heat and this can be a big problem with laptops. Random shutdowns will occur because of the high temps.

A laptop cooler will help but this is not recommended.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 30, 2012 8:45:03 PM

Well I read somewhere that the amd Phenom II x2 was compatible with the s1 and it was also compatible with my 64bit OS and ddr3 ram I was just wanting to know if my CPU is interchangeable because the Phenom I was looking at was like a 3.1 ghz and since it was a mobile I just assumed it wouldn't put off to much heat. Then again I'm new at all this.
m
0
l
a c 105 à CPUs
April 30, 2012 8:49:37 PM

operationplague said:
Well I read somewhere that the amd Phenom II x2 was compatible with the s1 and it was also compatible with my 64bit OS and ddr3 ram I was just wanting to know if my CPU is interchangeable because the Phenom I was looking at was like a 3.1 ghz and since it was a mobile I just assumed it wouldn't put off to much heat. Then again I'm new at all this.

The amount of heat produced is a function of the CPU's processing frequency. Other things being equal, higher frequency means faster processing and therefore higher heat. Heat is hard to get rid of in a laptop as compared to a desktop.
m
0
l
April 30, 2012 8:55:10 PM

OK I understand now. So I suppose over clocking it a little would be a bad idea as well?
m
0
l
a c 105 à CPUs
April 30, 2012 10:30:55 PM

operationplague said:
OK I understand now. So I suppose over clocking it a little would be a bad idea as well?

Exactly! And as the laptop ages with the stock components, the heat transfer will deteriorate due to oxidization and dust buildup. This further adds to the heat problems in laptops.

When I use my laptop on a desk, I try and place risers under the tiny stand-off bumpers at the bottom of the laptop to effectively increase the space under the laptop for air flow and to help in cooling.
m
0
l
April 30, 2012 10:41:55 PM

So....who wants to buy it from me? Lmao thanks for the info guys
m
0
l
a c 105 à CPUs
April 30, 2012 10:57:55 PM

operationplague said:
So....who wants to buy it from me? Lmao thanks for the info guys

We all do, as soon as we stop fighting to be first in line! :) 
m
0
l
May 1, 2012 1:16:00 AM

I was really hoping I could up the CPU to speed it up a little. Its only running on 3 gbs of ram with windows seven so it doesn't leave me much memory. However I'm getting more ram in tomorrow , got me two four gig cards so hopefully going. From 3 to 8 gbs will help.
m
0
l
a c 105 à CPUs
May 1, 2012 1:30:17 AM

operationplague said:
I was really hoping I could up the CPU to speed it up a little. Its only running on 3 gbs of ram with windows seven so it doesn't leave me much memory. However I'm getting more ram in tomorrow , got me two four gig cards so hopefully going. From 3 to 8 gbs will help.

Yes, that's a good way to go. Increasing RAM will give you better performance without the additional heat problems.
m
0
l
!