Need help with choosing a new cpu please help

operationplague

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I have an Acer aspire 7551 laptop with a and athlon II dual core CPU s1 socket type and its only 2.1 ghz I was hoping that there would be something out there I could get with around 3.0-3.6 ghz that's compatible with my PC any ideas??

operationplague

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Well I read somewhere that the amd Phenom II x2 was compatible with the s1 and it was also compatible with my 64bit OS and ddr3 ram I was just wanting to know if my CPU is interchangeable because the Phenom I was looking at was like a 3.1 ghz and since it was a mobile I just assumed it wouldn't put off to much heat. Then again I'm new at all this.

The amount of heat produced is a function of the CPU's processing frequency. Other things being equal, higher frequency means faster processing and therefore higher heat. Heat is hard to get rid of in a laptop as compared to a desktop.

Exactly! And as the laptop ages with the stock components, the heat transfer will deteriorate due to oxidization and dust buildup. This further adds to the heat problems in laptops.

When I use my laptop on a desk, I try and place risers under the tiny stand-off bumpers at the bottom of the laptop to effectively increase the space under the laptop for air flow and to help in cooling.

operationplague

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I was really hoping I could up the CPU to speed it up a little. Its only running on 3 gbs of ram with windows seven so it doesn't leave me much memory. However I'm getting more ram in tomorrow , got me two four gig cards so hopefully going. From 3 to 8 gbs will help.

Yes, that's a good way to go. Increasing RAM will give you better performance without the additional heat problems.