XP Home to XP Professional

I am currently taking some college credit courses that according to the IT
group @ the college require XP Professional. Can anyone out there supply me
with any information that would help me justify spending the $200 for the
upgrade? The IT group said XP Home could be "made" to work, but it was just
not very easy to do so. I can use on-site PCs at their lab, but would also
like access from my home.

Thanks in Advance,
James

This article may help in explaining the differences between Home and
Professional Editions:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

I have noticed that there are some programs out there with features that
require aspects of Professional to run. For instance, if you are using
Visual C++ .NET the following would apply using Home Edition: "Limited
functionality. Visual C++ .NET 2003 does not support creating ASP.NET Web
applications or ASP.NET XML Web services when using Windows XP Home
Edition." You may want to find out exactly what about Professional is
required for your courses so you can make an informed decision. It may be
something very minor that you can do at the lab while doing everything else
at home with Home.

"J Stewart" <anonymous@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I am currently taking some college credit courses that according to the IT
> group @ the college require XP Professional. Can anyone out there supply
> me
> with any information that would help me justify spending the $200 for the
> upgrade? The IT group said XP Home could be "made" to work, but it was
> just
> not very easy to do so. I can use on-site PCs at their lab, but would
> also
> like access from my home.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> James

Academic Discounts for Higher Education Students
http://www.microsoft.com/Education/HowToBuyStudents.aspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"J Stewart" wrote:

| I am currently taking some college credit courses that according to the IT
| group @ the college require XP Professional. Can anyone out there supply me
| with any information that would help me justify spending the $200 for the
| upgrade? The IT group said XP Home could be "made" to work, but it was just
| not very easy to do so. I can use on-site PCs at their lab, but would also
| like access from my home.
|
| Thanks in Advance,
| James

In a word, IIS. Those programs require Internet Information Server to
run. It comes with Professional, not Home. It won't even install on Home
because Home cannot the multiple accesses that would be required.

courtney sends...