System builders are not happy with Ivy Bridge

alvinyang

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Production parts only go up to 4.4GHz

According to our sources, that we cannot mention due to obvious reasons, system builders/integrators are not happy with Ivy Bridge at all, as apparently production parts can only go as high as 4.4GHz.

Intel is apparently currently apologizing to its customers that were looking at various Ivy Bridge reviews and wanted parts that can go as high as 4.8GHz, that Intel currently cannot deliver. This means that reviewed ES parts might be cherry picked, golden samples, and the situation with retail parts might be much worse.

A lot of system builders are living off their water cooled and overclocked systems and take much pride in providing the best possible "out of the box" stable overclock. Intel's Ivy Bridge chips are having trouble with overclocking due to higher temperatures and they are simply not appealing to system builders. Ivy Bridge might have better graphics and advanced tri-gate 22nm manufacturing process, but it looks like all is not well in Ivy Bridge land. That same 3D/tri-gate 22nm manufacturing process is probably the one to blame for delay and at least takes a part in the Ivy Bridge disappointing overclock potential.

Of course, we doubt that any system builder/integrator would be willing to go public with much criticism of Intel and risk its entire business in the process.

Last modified on Monday, 30 April 2012 07:41

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26962-system-builders-are-not-happy-with-ivy-bridge

bwf1975

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I have a friend who works for a large pc shop and has told me that the shop is not happy with ivybridge cpu's heat problems.
Using several decent aftermarket coolers, temps were getting far to high, even though ivy's have hight tjmax, and that was at 4-4.2 range and that a handfull of chips got to 4.4 before getting close to tjmax.

Stephey

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Strange, mine is very stable at an easy 4.2, no crazy voltages and seeing max temps of 60C on air cooling..

Maybe these system builders need to realize not to just cut and paste SB overclocking numbers to this chip? Yes crank the voltage up and it heats up. But it doesn't need as high a voltage as SB to OC.

bleechy

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2012

Because of the new Die size there is a lower thermal limit to the Ivy chips, if you try and overclock above the thermal limit that is where you get the heat spikes. Give it a try with yours but be careful as the temps really do soar.

Stephey

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I'm not saying SB won't OC higher numbers or that IB doesn't run hotter.

But someone saying you can't clock to 4.0-4.2 without hitting the tjmax is wrong information.. Maybe on the stock cooler that is true? My guess is they are using voltage settings from their SB setups if they are seeing temps like this.

Mine isn't even close at 4.2 with a mid range air cooler and have read others getting 4.5-4.6 at reasonable temps too. Everyday 4.6 on high end air/water cooling shouldn't be a problem.

I guess it's going to take a while for the smoke to clear and see what the actual performance facts are from users of these. I don't think IB needs as high an OC to get same performance? I feel it's safe to say, SB users won't see much if any improvement with IB but who knows right now with all the guessing and misinformation right now.

bleechy

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2012
I agree that the new I7 only has to reach 4.7ghz roughly to superseed any reachable overclock with a 2700k. It was just a huge disapointment that the chip has very limited performance gains for an extra £70 over the old model.
I have overclocked one myself and this was the case for me.