lilstiffy

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Hi! :) Im new to the forums and i was wondering what cpu would be better for gaming with my sapphire 4670 1gb ddr3 graphics card....A Intel Core2 Duo E6850 @ 3.0ghz or a INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 @2.4ghz?

Solution

Well, he is running a hd4670. I guess you might be able to is you don't have a super high resolution. Also, the city might stress it more. Anyway, extra cores work like a worker per core. The Core 2 Duo has two workers, but each worker is stronger than the Core 2 Quad's. The C2Q has 4 workers though. If all four worker can be used, the C2Q will get the job done faster, but if only 2 workers can be used by the application, the C2D will be faster because its workers are...

pauls3743

Distinguished
Overall the Q6600 would be better because it has more processing cores but there will be a few games that benefit from the faster speed of the E8650.

However, you really need to look at a more powerful graphics card to couple it to, something like a 5770/6770/7770.

Actually, most games only use up to two cores, meaning the dual core would be better generally. In games such as BF3, the quad will help. If you do plan to play BF3, please get a new GPU. hahah :lol:

I would say grab the q6600 and overclock it if you have decent cooling, power supply, and motherboard.

lilstiffy

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
would it run games like crysis 2, mw3,bioshock 2 and gta 4 with my sapphire 4670 1gb ddr3?Would i be able to run some of these games on high settings?BTW i also have 3 gb of ddr2 ram

What is your resolution? Maybe at low settings for games like crysis 2, GTA 4, and I don't really know about BioShock, but MW3 should run at a medium setting if you have a low resolution.

lilstiffy

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
I was really hoping to play crysis 2, mw3,bioshock 2 and gta 4 on high settings and high res :( hmmm would a Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66 GHz do the trick?If not,then do you know any LGA775 Socket cpu's that would run games on high settings with a high res?

The GPU is your problem. The CPUs are fine, just the GPU is waaay under powered.

InvalidError

Titan

If the game is mostly single-threaded or dual-threaded, it benefits more from the higher clocks on the Duo than the extra cores on slower-clocked Quad that simply cause most of the CPU to remain largely under-used.

Well, he is running a hd4670. I guess you might be able to is you don't have a super high resolution. Also, the city might stress it more. Anyway, extra cores work like a worker per core. The Core 2 Duo has two workers, but each worker is stronger than the Core 2 Quad's. The C2Q has 4 workers though. If all four worker can be used, the C2Q will get the job done faster, but if only 2 workers can be used by the application, the C2D will be faster because its workers are stronger. Get it?

Solution

lilstiffy

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Thank you so much for explaining that!I dont really know all that much about cpu's but now you made it easier for me to understand :) Ima go with the Intel Core2 Duo E6850 @ 3.0ghz since it would be cheaper and If I bought the INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 @2.4ghz I would be spending even more money for a new graphics card that could go with it.Thank you guys soo much for all your help :)

No problem! I hope it does what you want!