Recommended wattage for SLI?

DragonYiffer

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Hello,

I currently have the EVGA GTX 560 SC (Non TI version) and I would like to run it in 2-way SLI.

I currently have a Retail Plus 700 watt power supply. 2/2 of my PCIE pin connectors are in use with my one card, so putting the second card would mean using 2 dual molex to PCIE to have it power.

Here is a link to my PSU:
http://www.retailplus.com/products/550w-power-supply/retail-plus-700w-power-supply

I may be getting an 850 watt PSU for christmas from a brand like Corsair,MSI,Cooler master. so this PSU won't be in forever.

Will my Current PSU be able to handle it?

Molex connectors have a 75w maximum rating. GTX560ti and above use more than 150w. It's ok to use one if you have a dedicated pci-e connector already attached, but not recommended to use two.

So no, I certainly wouldn't try running a 150w+ card with 2-75w molex connectors.

The PCIe slot also provides about 75w, or did you forget about that?

If it drew 75w from the motherboard, why would a 150w graphics card need 2 PCI-E power connectors? Did you think about that??

Obviously it doesn't draw 75w through the motherboard, but rather directly from the psu, hence the requirement for TWO connectors.

I think you mis-understood the question. The question was not about running TWO GTX560's with molex connectors, it was about running ONE with 2 pci-e connectors and the other with 2 molex adaptors.

Any person with half a brain would use 1 pci-e connector to each card and 1 molex adaptor to each card, not 2 pci-e to one card and 2 molex to the other. It just makes sense and that is the recommended configuration if you bother to read a AMD or Nvidia manual.

The card may also require more than 150w, which is why it requires two PCIe power connectors.

The question Zippy, was not what made sense but whether it would be possible.

So you would tell someone to do something that makes no sense just cause it's possible? Ohhhhkay. Great advice.

Why does it seem the only point of your posts is to argue with someone? You've contributed nothing to the post whatsoever to help the poster with his question.

The psu is generic and doesn't even have a basic certification, no does it list the 12v rails, so telling him to use it at all would not be a good idea, so whether or not he can use his molex adaptors is irrelevent to the point I made in my first post. It also seems the other posters agree with this conclusion.

Strange that I think that of you as well, and who is telling anybody to go do something? I advise you to roll your neck in before you get banned again.

Banned again? I have never been banned thank you.

I'm sorry, is your primary purpose here to argue with everyone that disagree's with you, and them theaten them with banning?

I rarely see you contribute anything useful to anybodies threads other than belittle them. What exactly was your point of posting on THIS thread anyways? The answer is purely to pick an argument with me. An argument about common sense approach to hooking up a video card the correct way, that for some strange reason, you disagree with.....

If giving advice to a poster, the same advice that can be found in ANY AMD or Nvidia manual for any card that comes with a molex connector, is means for banning, then I guess I'm guilty.

Show me a manual that shows 2 molex adaptors hooked to one card and I'll gladly agree with you.

So if you feel you need to ban me, go ahead, I will live without having to be hassled constantly by a disgruntled mod with a terrible attitude.

Have a nice day!

To point out that it is possible to run a card from two molex to six pin adapters despite what you or any manuals say, I at no point said that it was recommended just that it was possible.

Where did I say it wasn't possible, and how does that relate to the thread?

I said no you can't, because that's not what the manual recommends. The manual says to use 1 molex for each card and 1 pci-e connector. Not 2 on one and 2 on the other.

Whether I've tried it or not is irrellevent.

Actually it's very relevant, as I have tried it so I know it will work whilst you are saying it can't work because the manual says so. The OP has a 700w PSU and even a fairly mediocre 700w PSU should be able to run SLi'd GTX560's as they use less power than the Ti versions.

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

My Galaxy 460 has an adaptor for plugging two molex's to make a Pci-E, I am running SLI with a 610 watt PC power PSU. Cards are moderately overclocked and ran Furmark for 30 minutes with no problem. One card runs on 4 molex's.

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

Sorry, but you're wrong.