Having trouble playing Skyrim on my ATI Radeon HD 5970

killerb4dger

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
At first I was playing the game without any problems until I got level 7, then I started getting bluescreens "graphics driver failed to restart". This happened twice, so I updated my drivers and managed to play the game but only on low settings.

I was getting purple objects when running on high and medium, and after a few hours running the game, it would simple crash the game and show my desktop.

I've been running low graphics for 2-3 days with no problems, then today the screen cut out. Black screen as if the monitor was not plugged in.

I replaced the stock fan with an Artic Cooling Accelero Xtreme when I bought the card awhile back. I have had no problems with other games like Rage and Crysis 2.

Hope you can help!

gameranew22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
If I were you, I would uninstall all of my drivers through the ATI Catalyst Control Center module in Uninstall Programs then re-install and update again. A 5970 should be owning Skyrim. Check the FPS in-game and search the Steam forums for any other people mentioning issues like this.

After re-installing your drivers I would uninstall the game and install again through STEAM but verify the cache of your game right-clicking on Skyrim in Steam (if you are running it through there - which is recommended and the only way?) to make sure the download/install didn't mess up at all. If the problems STILL persist and you can't find any other solutions online, it could just be your card and the game getting along badly, but I can't think of any reason why that would be.

killerb4dger

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Okay, I did what you suggested. So far so good, Skyrim is suggesting High Quality as defualt and running at 60 fps.

Until 20mins into the game I save, it drops to 16 fps and have been playing like that for 30mins before I had enough. When I pause, the fps jump back to 60. WTF is going on?

I noticed Steam was downloading something for Skyrim, I assume a patch.

I'm getting to the point of wanting to buy another graphics card.

theitaliansico

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

dont the 5970 should destroy skyrim completely wait for 7000 series before you make an upgrade from 5970.

killerb4dger

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
I don't see any other reason why I'm having problems... Iv got to a point in the game that's making me want to stay on for hours, but I can't.

It's really frustrating people telling me my card would own skyrim, when its obviously not.

What kind of CPU do you have?

It sounds like overheating, and it might be the CPU could be a possibility. It obviously runs well for a while before it goes into problem mode.

Another possibility is currently Skyrim isn't playing nice with crossfire. Perhaps you can disable crossfire (5970's are in crossfire).

theitaliansico

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

sorry about that. has anyone considered the power supply? maybe thats the problem what is the name and how long have you had it.

killerb4dger

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
My PC spec is :

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz - Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50
Asus P6X58D-E X58 MoBo
Sapphire HD 5970 2GB with Artic Colling Accelero XTREME
WD 1TB 3.5" 7200rpm HDD
Corsair 6GB DDR3 1600MHz
Artic Power Pro 850W PSU

All inside a Antec P193 Advanced Super Mid Tower Case.
I've had this machine for over a year now.

How do I disable crossfire?

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
There are still a lot of issues with Skyrim that are going to get ironed out in the coming days (hopefully) or weeks (likely). I was having massive sustained drops in framerates after loading areas- after googling "skyrim crossfire problem" I came across a few fixes that have resolved nearly all problems. In particular the .dll download that you drop into your skyrim folder (in program files- with the .exe launcher in it) really resolved all of those issues.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1164844/skyrim-crossfire-issues-complete-list-of-known-fixs-here-11-11a-drivers-out-now-link-inside

It's a shame that the developer/publisher can't sort out these kind of fixes on their own without third parties having to do it. For the majority of gamers that don't actively monitor these kinds of sites, they just get screwed waiting for an official fix.

killerb4dger

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Downloaded the 11.11a ati update, its working like a dream.

Default is now on Ultra, I might start tweaking to get more out of it.

Thanks beltzy!!

slev_stutton

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Curious, isn't the 5970 a dual GPU card? And, would therefore be operating as a crossfire setup? Currently, crossfire is not supported for Skyrim AND you probably had the dual GPU acceleration enabled in your CCC but, updating to 11.11a disables this for Skyrim, you are running on one GPU but, you can play it just fine. You can probably check this by running afterburner while playing Skyrim and you should see zero usage on one of the GPUs. Thanks.

-stev

killerb4dger

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
I hope the Skyrim creators enable crossfire soon, I would prefer to utilise both GPUs.

If the game is that graphic intesive, why not enable crossfire in the first place? I assume they ran tests to iron-out bugs etc, why not test the limits of the game.

Kari

Splendid

it's a new game engine and the amd drivers don't seem to understand how it works, amd is still working on the crossfire part of it... maybe a week or two till they get it sorted out.

G

No no no. With 5970 its 60fps inside, 45/60 outside, 25/35 fps in town (it s not "like a dream" Killerb4dger). 11.11a make no difference because of we can t disable one GPU like a real crossfire issue. It s playable but we must wait fir a real AMD driver for fix this problem.
Another gamers who have 5970 have the same problem. The only thing to do is rename TESV.exe by fallout3.exe

No problem with Rage, Witcher 2, LA Noire etc.
Why not enable crossfire in the first place ? Because AMD is not Nvidia

My config: clean pc (100 Go use on 2x 690 Go DD), I7 870 2,93 Ghz, Hd 5970 2Go, 8 go ddr3.

(sorry for my english im franch^^)

No no no. With 5970 its 60fps inside, 45/60 outside, 25/35 fps in town (it s not "like a dream" Killerb4dger). 11.11a make no difference because of we can t disable one GPU like a real crossfire issue. It s playable but we must wait fir a real AMD driver for fix this problem.
Another gamers who have 5970 have the same problem. The only thing to do is rename TESV.exe by fallout3.exe

No problem with Rage, Witcher 2, LA Noire etc.

My config: clean pc (100 Go use on 2x 690 Go DD), I7 870 2,93 Ghz, Hd 5970 2Go, 8 go ddr3.

(sorry for my english im franch^^)

Do I smell...(sniff sniff)... A fanboy???

killerb4dger

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
I'm sorry if I over exaggerated there, I meant to say its running far better than it was. These third party tweaks worked for a while, but after time the graphics was getting progressively.

11.11a is allowing me to play the game on Ultra settings at a decent fps, which I'm happy with until AMD/Bethesda bring out a fix for crossfire issue.

its AMD who disable the cross fire support for skyrim in their latest driver. skyrim dev only make changes to the games not the gpu drivers.

what do you mean by this? btw AMD disable the CF support for the game because they have negative scaling in their previous driver. they disable CF support for the latest driver because they still don't fix the problem

sainthoodx

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
According to @catalystcreator (Twitter PR dev for amd's catalyst drivers), 11.11a is just a quick fix to disable CF support for skyrim to at least allow some playability (since skyrim isnt patched for CF and plays like *** with CF cards currently) - so now AMD cant release any CF drivers until Skyrim devs patch it to allow for the AMD drivers to work!

tl;dr - AMD hands are tied and cant release CAP3 for skyrim until Bethesda fixes the game code to allow it. So if you don't feel like renaming ur TESV.exe to fallout3.exe for dual GPU usage, at least 11.11a will make the game somewhat playable (but only using one of the two GPUs).

Peace

Source: http://twitter.com/#!/catalystcreator

EDIT: So apparently the 11.11a with CAP2 will allow for BOTH GPUs on ONE card to work, but prevents a second card's GPUs from working... Interesting.

Unrhymed

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I have a 5970 and I am having no problems since the 11.11 update CAP 2, I run 40+ FPS in towns and outside it only drops a bit in framerate because I got the view distance jack really really far outside.

gameranew22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Interesting sidenote: Is the Diamond 2gb HD 5970 worth it for $300 on sale at Newegg right now or should I still wait until Nvidia drops their 560 TI 448 CUDA Core in 4 days...decision, decision....