Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build power stability issues....

Last response: in Systems
January 17, 2012 10:44:06 PM

So I just finished putting together my new build first off it was a great experience not only fun but extremely educational as well. I only ran into a couple problems along the way when booting up. Now my only issue is I can only run it when it is laying down I can run it standing up it boots up and then runs for maybe three minutes or so and then its just like someone pulled the plug on it. It looses all power instantly. I can't seem to figure out the issue I thought something might just be loose but I re-tightend all my connections just now and it still does the same thing. If there is any information on what it might be or any solutions or a direction anyone can point me in that would be awesome. I still don't have an OS installed just getting that in the next day or so specs are below.

Computer Specs
Motherboard: EVGA x58 ftw3
CPU: i7 950 Bloomfield 3.06GHZ
PSU: CoolMaster 750w GX +12V Rail
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 2x4GB DDR3 SDRAM 1600
HDD: WD Caviar Black 500GB 7200rpm 32MB Cache
GPU: EVGA GTX 460 Fermi 1GB SLI- Ready
CASE: CoolMaster HAF 932 X Full Tower

January 17, 2012 10:53:44 PM

Hello Traber260;

That sounds like a short somewhere.
Did you run though the forum's "System won't boot" checklist to see if that can give you some clues?
m
l
January 17, 2012 10:57:42 PM

For sure I will check it out thanks! Any ideas on where the short could be that would make it just instantly lose power could it be a short in a PSU cable?

Edit: sorry for the nooby question lol :p 
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2012 11:05:04 PM

My first thought was a motherboard standoff in the wrong place - touching the bottom of the motherboard and shorting.
Im still scratching my head about the vertical/horizontal positions behaving differently.
m
l
January 17, 2012 11:07:51 PM

Traber260 said:
I can run it standing up it boots up and then runs for maybe three minutes or so and then its just like someone pulled the plug on it. It looses all power instantly.
OK, I missed the part about running for 3 minutes and THEN losing power instantly.
That's not a short then. A short would cause it to lose power instantly, and not run at all.
m
l

Best solution

January 17, 2012 11:10:17 PM

The CPU cooler would be one place to look. A poorly fitted CPU might work 'OK' when flat but loose full contact when upright. That would let the CPU overheat and shut down to save itself from cooking.
January 17, 2012 11:19:28 PM

WR2 said:
The CPU cooler would be one place to look. A poorly fitted CPU might work 'OK' when flat but loose full contact when upright. That would let the CPU overheat and shut down to save itself from cooking.

Alright for sure that actually sounds like it could be true when laying down its about 10 degrees hotter then when standing up when booting its goes from 85 is what my LED posts up laying down to 91-93 standing up also is it normal to have higher temps when booting seems like it too me but this is really the first time I have looked into temps on a computer I will have to browse around the forums and look into some stickies. I read through the Perform these steps and I will go through and re-do my cards and make sure they are tight again. Thanks for all the help!
m
l
January 17, 2012 11:20:59 PM

For sure that's a CPU cooler problem.
You should be looking at something around 40C or lower just after booting.
m
l
January 17, 2012 11:23:37 PM

Alright one thing I noticed was when I first installed it it had what looked to be thermal paste on it should I have added more to it? I will go adjust the cooler right now and make sure it is tightened up
m
l
January 17, 2012 11:26:59 PM

The patch of thermal paste on the cooler doesn't need extra.
My guess is that one or more push pins didnt seat correctly.
m
l
January 17, 2012 11:30:55 PM

Alright I will tighten it up and let you know I got to go for a bit and pick someone up from the airport but when I get back I will check the pins and make sure they are in correctly.
m
l
January 18, 2012 12:00:58 AM

WR2 said:
The patch of thermal paste on the cooler doesn't need extra.
My guess is that one or more push pins didnt seat correctly.

You were right! haha I still haven't left went to go check the 2 top pins are not even in they are just locked that seems to be it only one problem now. The top right pin doesn't seem like it wants to go through I feel if I press any harder I will break the board....

Edit: I see what the issue is the pin that seemed like it is jammed is.... Its not correctly lined up that was the issue testing out in a sec.
m
l
January 24, 2012 11:33:28 PM

Best answer selected by Traber260.
m
l
!