Did I just fry my 6870?!?!?

Colton127

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Hello,

I was playing Skyrim on my new rig (i7-2600k, 6870, Windows 8 Developer Preview).

Anyways, about twenty minutes into the game, my screen went black. Followed by my PowerColor 6870's fan going up to 100% (or at least it was VERY loud). After about 20 seconds of the fan spinning fast, my entire system shutdown.

I tried to boot back the system two minutes later, but got bad results. The CPU turned on, keyboard lit up, etc. But the 6870 did not give a signal to my monitor!!!

Which leads me to my question: DID I FRY MY 6870???? (And, if so, HOW?)

I'm running the latest drivers, but I'm on the buggy Windows 8 Developer Preview :/. I did however have W8 dev preview on my old rig, which ran perfectly fine even with 6+ hours of Skyrim on my the SAME 6870 (which I took out and put in my new rig) and an Athlon II X4.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Forgot to add, I put in my other 6870 (a 1GB Sapphire card) and the system has ran fine so far. The reason I have two? Well, I was going to use CrossFire. But, turns out, my $100 750W PSU is a piece of $H!T. I put in my newish 550W OCZ PSU and everything has been fine so far.

NONE of the components on my computer are over 40C right now. The GPU is at 39C, and the CPU is about 20C-35C (Hyper212+, stock clock).

Usually a computer knows if it is going to blow up, and takes measures to make sure none of the components get messed up or "fried". I would try the 6870 in another system. It is likely you did not fry your card; you would have felt it in the room you were in.

If the 6870 does not work in your system.....well.....6870's are a pretty good price right now.

Did you try the PowerColor HD 6870, that you think is fried, with the OCZ Fatal1ty 550W? Does that "fried" graphics card still work or is it completely dead?

The CPU turned on, keyboard lit up, etc. But the 6870 did not give a signal to my monitor!!!
My first suspicion would be a power supply problem. One of the rails died. The +12V rail would be the suspect since it powers the CPU and GPU.

When you say the CPU turned on, did you mean just the CPU cooling fan? There is a big difference between a CPU receiving power or just the CPU cooling fan receiving power because their power sources are on different power circuits on the motherboard.

Colton127

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Alright guys, let me briefly explain what happened:

I was about 20 minutes into Skyrim, and my monitor went black. After about 5 seconds, the fan on my GPU went to 100%. Afterwards, my computer completely shutdown.

After two minutes, I tried booting my PC again. The CPU fan went on, the GPU fan started, and my keyboard's num lock button lit up. The MOBO's light also lit up.

BUT THE GPU DID NOT GIVE A VIDEO OUTPUT SIGNAL!

...So, I swamped the GPU for another GPU of mine. Works perfectly fine, and, they're the same power cables (2x 6pin).

That GPU still doesn't work. It just doesn't give a video signal output!

Then it's dead. Time for an RMA if it's still under warranty.

Contact the vendor that you bought it from and if it's within their period to do a straight replacement then have it taken care of that way.

If it's outside of the vendor's straight exchange period you'll have to contact the graphics card's manufacturer and get an RMA.

dontcrosthestreams

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
good luck getting an RMA from the manufacturer. sapphire doesnt believe in it, they use "unledgable postage" as an exuse. funny the post office read it just fine to ship it to you. you know who to lie to considering you read the box with the customers name on it to say you cant read it. sorry for my rant lol i hope frys or newegg replaces it quickly.

I thought it was his PowerColor HD 6870 that died.

Colton127

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Guys - I currently have the broken card in my system right now; but I'm using the integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics off my i7-2600k. This card is FRIED - windows doesn't notice it, and it didn't work in my father's system; either. It's done for!

I bought the card from Newegg, and have always bought from Newegg for all my computer parts except my old 250 GTS (two years old, got it for $75 on TigerDirect. Still runs perfectly fine today!).

Anyways, I remember reading a review on a 6870 card. It was 1 Egg, because it arrived DOA. BUT, because it included a Dirt 3 promotion code, the guy had to pay $50 to get it replaced because of the code! WHAT THE HELL? Do you think they'll charge me $50, too? In that case, I'll be contacting PowerColor and will ensure myself to always buy hardware from Amazon or TigerDirect in the future! That's crazy! I haven't even used the promo code! (They wanted me to send them a picture of it...too much work for a game I don't care about IMO!)

It's not the Sapphire card that quit on me, it was the PowerColor.

I hope PowerColor's support is good. They did include a CrossFire bridge and some other adapters for me, which was nice (Sapphire is greedy and didn't!)