Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Closed

Can my 400W Power Supply handle this card?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Power Supplies
  • Support
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
November 19, 2011 6:45:51 PM

Hello,

Well, at this point I'm almost sure I'm gonna get the GTX 550 Ti found on this link: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6814121435

Now I just to be sure that my power supply can handle it, which I'm pretty sure it can. 400W, +12V1 it says 14A and under +12V2 it says 15A and the link of the PSU can be found http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/pro [...] 23c0afen02

Can anyone confirm that my Power Supply can definitely support this card?

More about : 400w power supply handle card

a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2011 8:08:56 PM

Repost your PSU link
Score
November 19, 2011 8:09:42 PM

what is the exact model of the card?
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a c 144 ) Power supply
November 19, 2011 9:34:13 PM

A 500 watt PSU is more than enough to run a GTX550Ti. But the Dynex PSU is one step above generic junk.
Score
November 19, 2011 10:07:24 PM

So.. eh.. is that a no?
Score
November 19, 2011 10:39:49 PM

So, does anyone know if this will be able to support the card for sure? I'm thinking about ordering this card by tomorrow if it c an, but I don't want to take chances.
Score
November 19, 2011 11:14:29 PM

>< anyone? Sorry If I'm coming off as a begger or something, but I really want a expert response before I make some sort of stupid mistake...
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2011 11:53:04 PM

It should power the card, depending on how much your systems total drawof power is. That being said it is not a very good power supply and probably barely puts out what it says, and under load my give out on you.
Score
November 19, 2011 11:54:45 PM

GI_JONES said:
It should power the card, depending on how much your systems total drawof power is. That being said it is not a very good power supply and probably barely puts out what it says, and under load my give out on you.

Ok, but it won't catch fire or anything will it? If it breaks, I can just replace it. But I don't want it to break my entire system...
Score
November 20, 2011 12:04:19 AM

drainadin said:
OHHH, sorry, the 2nd power supply I posted isn't the right one.

Here: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/dynex-pc-power-s...

You paid 80 bucks for that thing? Ouch!

My advice is to sell it to some sucker for whatever he will pay you for it. Try ebay or kijiji.

Then go buy yourself something like a 400 Watt corsair, and you'll be good to go. An excellent site for power supply reviews can be found here
http://www.jonnyguru.com/

Seriously, get rid of that power supply.
Score
November 20, 2011 12:09:40 AM

intel4eva said:
You paid 80 bucks for that thing? Ouch!

My advice is to sell it to some sucker for whatever he will pay you for it. Try ebay or kijiji.

Then go buy yourself something like a 400 Watt corsair, and you'll be good to go. An excellent site for power supply reviews can be found here
http://www.jonnyguru.com/

Seriously, get rid of that power supply.

Yeah, I understand it's not a great power supply, but I'm trying to minimize budget. And from what I'm reading, the graphic card will be able to hold my power supply. Frankly, that's all I'm worried about for now.
Score

Best solution

November 20, 2011 12:16:27 AM

drainadin said:
Yeah, I understand it's not a great power supply, but I'm trying to minimize budget. And from what I'm reading, the graphic card will be able to hold my power supply. Frankly, that's all I'm worried about for now.

Well let me put it this way. If that power supply can deliver what it claims, while keeping things like voltage regulation, etc within the ATX spec, then it will be fine. Weird off brands have a long, loooong history of power quality being out of spec and not being able to deliver rated output. In fact, it's the reason why both AMD and NVidia significantly overstate the power supply requirements for their cards.
a b U Graphics card
a c 144 ) Power supply
November 20, 2011 1:02:09 AM

drainadin said:
Yeah, I understand it's not a great power supply, ...

We are not telling you, "It is not a great power supply." "Not great" implies "average".

We are telling you, "It's a piece of junk - and overpriced junk at that."

But go ahead and use it. You will probably be OK. After all, what do you have to lose? Power supplies seldom fail catastrophically (flames).
Score
November 20, 2011 1:04:49 AM

jsc said:
We are not telling you, "It is not a great power supply." "Not great" implies "average".

We are telling you, "It's a piece of junk - and overpriced junk at that."

But go ahead and use it. You will probably be OK. After all, what do you have to lose? Power supplies seldom fail catastrophically (flames).

Alright well thanks, and sorry if I was beggining to be a bit annoying with my lack of knowledge on this topic. Yeah, I will probably just try it out and if it ends up failing I'll just buy a new power supply. Hopefully, that won't be the case.
Score
November 20, 2011 1:05:59 AM

Best answer selected by drainadin.
Score
November 20, 2011 1:08:57 AM

drainadin said:
Alright well thanks, and sorry if I was beggining to be a bit annoying with my lack of knowledge on this topic. Yeah, I will probably just try it out and if it ends up failing I'll just buy a new power supply. Hopefully, that won't be the case.

Next time come and ask us on these forums when you're contemplating a purchase, and you'll always get quality stuff at a good price. Sometimes we argue about the best options here for pages on end, but the truth is you pick pretty much anyone's advice on what to buy and you can't go wrong.
Score