First Time Build - Parts Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

clairmel1

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Hey all thanks for helping me out. This will be my first build and while I pretty much have an idea of what I want, I would like to get a few parts suggestions in areas where my knowledge isn't the greatest.

Probably the most intensive thing the build will be used for is video editing ( prob Cyberlink ), Games: COD, BF3, Diablo III; Gameplay video capture for youtube, and internet.

So far this is what I have:

Approximate Purchase Date: Next week or two

Budget Range: Approx. $1200-1300

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Compusa,

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Intel

Overclocking: Not right away...maybe in a few months --First things first.... ;)

SLI or Crossfire: SLI --- but not right away

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1200 Dell U2412

-----------------------

The Build:

CPU: Intel i7 2600K

MoBo: ASRock Extreme7 Gen3

Cooler: Corsair H80

Memory:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455

Hard Drive: Would like to do a raid1 or raid5. Not sure if I'm able due to the price increases. Any suggestions? One good internal and store on external HD's??

Video Card: Prob a 550ti. I'll wait for the Gen3 cards to come down in price.

Case: I have an HAF 922 I plan to use

Power Supply: Suggestions? I was thinking Seasonic. But again anything you can suggest that's pretty solid.

Notes: My current computer is 6 years old. So chances are I'm gonna keep this one at least 3 years if it doesn't crap out on me.

- Also on HD ... would like to take advantage of the new PCIE 3.0 stuff coming out.
- I didn't list prices... I thought I'd at least make sure this was all compatible. Please feel free to make suggestions. I am pretty sure I'm set on the ASRock for the mobo. Just looking for a nice all around board with the ability to OC and SLI when I'm ready.
-Memory and PSU - Please suggest. Price range for the PSU is probaby around $100 - $140.

And Thanks!

Solution
I disagree, if you're doing video editing you should most certainly stick with the 2600k. It destroys the 2500k in editing due to hyper-threading, however, it is equal in gaming capability. My proposed build:

CPU: 2600k

GPU: 550TI <-- lower end card, I suggest upgrading to 6870/560 TI/6950. All of those cards are incredibly overclockable, particularly the 6870, it has amazing performance for being a middle range card.

Cooler: Not too sure, I usually stick with a stock fan until I am ready to overclock, I suggest you do the same.

PSU: Go with something that is 750-850W if you're doing crossfire/sli. Don't skimp on the PSU, it is by far the most important part of your system.

MOBO: Downgrade to a lower range Z68 gigabyte version...
spend way less on a motherboard. Unless you are an extreme overclocker all Z68 chipset mb's will perform the same .

RAID is pretty much a dead technology for home users looking for speed .
Just buy a 40 gig SSD and use it as a cache drive .
Combine that with two hard drives which could be in RAID 1 , or even better a single hard drive and an external back up drive and software to back up in real time and you have speed and data security .

I'd also not bother with water cooling . Sandy bridge processors run cool anyway and can be massively overclocked on a $30 air cooler like the CM Hyper 212 or Xigmatek gaia

A 550 ti is marginal for gaming at 1080p . Sure you can do it but you have to turn image quality down . A 560 or 560ti make sense , and so does a 6950 Radeon

Here is what I'd consider:
* 2500k for best value for the $
* CM Hyper 212 CPU HSF if you want to have better cooling/OC in mind later.
* z68 mobo for the best chipset for Intel right now. Like Outlander_04 states, most z68 mobo's will perform similar. I like Asus/Gigabyte/AsRock as most of their mobo's are good and dependable.
* At least 8 gb's of DDR3 1333mHz or better.
* I'd go with at least a 128 gb SSD for fast boot times/loads and will work for your main apps and leave your data drive for the rest (good to have 2 HD's for video editiing - 1 scratch drive and 1 for storage)
* Go with at least a 560 or 560 Ti or even a 6950. I'm guessing you prefer nVidia, since you said SLI in your options. I'd fit in the 560 Ti, since it'll give you the better performance on 1080p gaming than the 550 Ti.
* I'd use at least 600w or better for your potential SLI setup. Seasonic/Antec/PCP&C are all good brands to go with. I've dealt with Antec on a couple of occasions and have been VERY happy with their customer support, so keep that in mind.
* The HAF 922 is a good case. I'd buy at least the HAF 912 (if you haven't bought yet) if you are trying to trim down costs and/or trying to fit in better parts.

So are you still needing: A case and OS, or did I read that wrong, because you didn't mention needing a case, but said your planning on the HAF 922??

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
ASRock Extreme4 Gen3
i5-2500k
6970/GTX 570
600w PSU (850w if you plant to SLI/CF) Corsair/Antec/SeaSonic/XFX recommended
8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel 1600MHz CL9 1.5v RAM
Hyper 212+ / Hyper EVO CPU cooler
500GB/1TB HDD - Depends how much space you need? Current HDD prices are HIGH
60/64GB SSD - for OS and Applications, or as previously recommended, CACHE device with Z68 chip set

HAF 922 - or almost any other mid-tower ATX you like :)

hiimnickwhoareu

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I disagree, if you're doing video editing you should most certainly stick with the 2600k. It destroys the 2500k in editing due to hyper-threading, however, it is equal in gaming capability. My proposed build:

CPU: 2600k

GPU: 550TI <-- lower end card, I suggest upgrading to 6870/560 TI/6950. All of those cards are incredibly overclockable, particularly the 6870, it has amazing performance for being a middle range card.

Cooler: Not too sure, I usually stick with a stock fan until I am ready to overclock, I suggest you do the same.

PSU: Go with something that is 750-850W if you're doing crossfire/sli. Don't skimp on the PSU, it is by far the most important part of your system.

MOBO: Downgrade to a lower range Z68 gigabyte version, you'll be getting pretty similar performance.

RAM: Go with 1600mhz ram, you won't notice the difference.

HDD: Buy a large 1T HDD for storage and possibly an SSD for editing/windows boot up time.

CASE: That case is fine.

Solution

clairmel1

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Great advice you guys. Thanks...

I will be looking to do SLI / OC in the future so....

Outlander_04, lunyone, and AdrianPerry, hiimnickwhoareu ...thanks I took a second look....

I originally thought that the z68 Extreme7 the only board with more than one PICE x16 lane? That's one of the reasons I picked that one. ( Well I just looked ...) It looks like Extreme4 has 2 - 3.0 pcie x16 lanes and only one 20. pcie x16 lane ( total of 3 pice x16 ) and the extreme7 only has one 3.0 pcie x16 lane --the rest 2.0. Is that correct? If so then I'll go with the Extreme4 for the 3.0 capability in the future.

and hiimnickwhoareu you're right I'm gonna stick with the 2700k for video editing since ( for now ) I wanna do that.

Outlander_04 -- It's possible to have an internal HD and an external HD with software to do real time back up? Can you help with some software titles? Haven't heard of that but it sounds like what I'm looking for.

CPU cooling......
CM Hyper 212 CPU HSF -everybody mentioned the same fan. My question since i'm not a 100% on fans... would the Hyper 212 be sufficient for some slight OC in the future? I don't think I'm going to go crazy with the OC -just enough to understand it. Can somebody give me a link so I know exactly which fan it is.. I'd definitely get it if it's adequate -and save some $$.

Video card... I'll consider the 560ti. I wanted to get a 550ti just to save a few bucks and get me up and running since theres an almost $100 savings. I was going to go with EVGA unless anybody has a better suggestion. And yeah I'll prob stick with Nvidia.

Power --this is where I'll need the most help as i don't want to skimp like hiimnickwhoareu said... can somebody suggest an actual model number? I'll prob go with it. I just want something that's going to last a few years. I hear Seasonic is pretty good but Have no idea who #2 or 3 would be in quality. Something around $100 - 125 if possible.

AdrianPerry, hiimnickwhoareu Thanks, I'll take your memory suggestion. Again this is the other area I need a little help on..Is 1600 mhz the max i can go? I'd like to get the fastest ram lowest latency possible.

hiimnickwhoareu -- yeah, sorry -- i forgot to mention the OS. i was planning on going with Win7 Prof. 64 bit OEM mainly for XP mode vs. Home Prem. And I do have a case an HAF 922 I plan to use.

OK... my update.... with approx. costs...

Mobo: Extreme4 Gen3 - $ 185
CPU : 2600K $ 320
GPU : 560ti $ 230

EVGA 01G-P3-1561-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card ( picked lowest EVGA 560ti card on Newegg for cost/performance purposes )

CPU Cooler: $45
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible ( Same price as 212 on newegg as of 1/18 ) (Sorry having trouble with links):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008000%2050001333&IsNodeId=1&name=Cooler%20Master

Memory: $75 ( Please make sure this is compatible and sufficient -made a blind choice based on reccomendations )

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231445

Total so far: $994 Awesome!!! Under budget and saved enough for a 560ti.

Hard Drive and PSU..... Will wait for some suggestions...
PS - I tried to follow the sticky about posting links but wasn't successful... any where else I can look at to learn how? Thanks. And thanks so much for your help so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.