Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sony licenses Ageia PhysX physics engine and SDK for PS3

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:26:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Sony has licensed the Ageia PhysX physics engine and SDK for the PS3.
xflop 1.5 full circle is so screwed. The Cell can implement hardware
accelerated physics and AI much more effectively than a standard
multi-core processor.

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050721_140938.ht...

http://ageia.vnewscenter.com/contentAccess/050721be.pdf...
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 1:14:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Blig Merk wrote:

> Sony has licensed the Ageia PhysX physics engine and SDK for the PS3.

Wow, you are REALLY grasping at straws now.

FEAR.

-Z-
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 3:52:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

mike wrote:
> "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1122060361.711642.235450@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > Sony has licensed the Ageia PhysX physics engine and SDK for the PS3.
> > xflop 1.5 full circle is so screwed. The Cell can implement hardware
> > accelerated physics and AI much more effectively than a standard
> > multi-core processor.
> >
> > http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050721_140938.ht...
> >
> > http://ageia.vnewscenter.com/contentAccess/050721be.pdf...
> >
>
> Hey Muk, it's not the hardware being licensed, it's the software. Tom's
> Hardware is wrong if they think the hardware chip is going into the PS3. A
> little added bonus here... Unreal Engine 3 already incorporates this by
> default, Microsoft Game Studios has licensed it, Bioware has licensed it,
> Midway is going to use it for nearly all upcoming games... etc. Sorry to
> ruin your little post :)  Have a good life!

Never said anything about the hardware, you semi-literate boob. Learn
how to read.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 5:13:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

> The Cell can implement hardware accelerated physics and AI much more
> effectively > than a standard multi-core processor.

Technology is a fantastic thing........

But what about the punter/end user?

Surely they have to have a modicum of intelligence?

Would Pong have played any better with a 256 colour display and stereo
sound?

--
terry v
GT: terryfied
July 23, 2005 7:56:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1122060361.711642.235450@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Sony has licensed the Ageia PhysX physics engine and SDK for the PS3.
> xflop 1.5 full circle is so screwed. The Cell can implement hardware
> accelerated physics and AI much more effectively than a standard
> multi-core processor.
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050721_140938.ht...
>
> http://ageia.vnewscenter.com/contentAccess/050721be.pdf...
>

Hey Muk, it's not the hardware being licensed, it's the software. Tom's
Hardware is wrong if they think the hardware chip is going into the PS3. A
little added bonus here... Unreal Engine 3 already incorporates this by
default, Microsoft Game Studios has licensed it, Bioware has licensed it,
Midway is going to use it for nearly all upcoming games... etc. Sorry to
ruin your little post :)  Have a good life!
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 7:56:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <_djEe.5489$IG2.1774@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
"mike" <sonofzeus26@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1122060361.711642.235450@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > Sony has licensed the Ageia PhysX physics engine and SDK for the PS3.
> > xflop 1.5 full circle is so screwed. The Cell can implement hardware
> > accelerated physics and AI much more effectively than a standard
> > multi-core processor.
> >
> > http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050721_140938.ht...
> >
> > http://ageia.vnewscenter.com/contentAccess/050721be.pdf...
> > 252
> >
>
> Hey Muk, it's not the hardware being licensed, it's the software. Tom's
> Hardware is wrong if they think the hardware chip is going into the PS3. A
> little added bonus here... Unreal Engine 3 already incorporates this by
> default, Microsoft Game Studios has licensed it, Bioware has licensed it,
> Midway is going to use it for nearly all upcoming games... etc. Sorry to
> ruin your little post :)  Have a good life!

Sony's also getting the Havok engine. My guess is Havok/Unreal will be
working on higher level stuff like APIs for making creatures walk and
vehicles move, while Ageia will be more into the lower levels of getting
physics simulation routines that those guys call to really fly on the
Cell hardware.
July 23, 2005 3:12:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1122101532.814287.53160@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>
>
> mike wrote:
>> "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:1122060361.711642.235450@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> > Sony has licensed the Ageia PhysX physics engine and SDK for the PS3.
>> > xflop 1.5 full circle is so screwed. The Cell can implement hardware
>> > accelerated physics and AI much more effectively than a standard
>> > multi-core processor.
>> >
>> > http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050721_140938.ht...
>> >
>> > http://ageia.vnewscenter.com/contentAccess/050721be.pdf...
>> >
>>
>> Hey Muk, it's not the hardware being licensed, it's the software. Tom's
>> Hardware is wrong if they think the hardware chip is going into the PS3.
>> A
>> little added bonus here... Unreal Engine 3 already incorporates this by
>> default, Microsoft Game Studios has licensed it, Bioware has licensed it,
>> Midway is going to use it for nearly all upcoming games... etc. Sorry to
>> ruin your little post :)  Have a good life!
>
> Never said anything about the hardware, you semi-literate boob. Learn
> how to read.
>

Hey Muk, I thought you once said you never come back to your own thread?
And so, enlighten me on how the 360 is screwed when they will have access to
it as well? Suggesting superiority because of similarities in architecture
would only be speculation at this point, so don't go there.
July 25, 2005 12:51:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

As I was reading this I couldn't help but think it all sounded so
familiar... why... it seems as though it were only a year ago last
March...

(dooo dooo dooo dooo dooo)

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.games.video.xbo...

1. Blig Merk Mar 29 2004, 9:21 pm hide options
Newsgroups: alt.games.video.xbox
From: blog_sm...@yahoo.com (Blig Merk) - Find messages by this author
Date: 29 Mar 2004 20:21:40 -0800
Local: Mon,Mar 29 2004 9:21 pm
Subject: PSP more powerful than PS2? will have Havok physics
Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original
| Report Abuse

The PSP may be more powerful than the PS2 in some areas. It is also
going to have the Havok physics engine ported over to it. Plus there
are 80+ developers on board now.

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/ne ws/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&ar
ticleid=2...

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a PSP owner and have enjoyed the games on
it so far, but to say this had anything to do with a "Havok physics
engine" is utter bullshit. As usual.

Gee, I wonder what we'll be saying about the PhysX engine in a year.

- Jordan
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:48:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"terry vickers" <terry@REMOVEterryv.co.uk> wrote in message
news:nRgEe.10673$Wi3.1755@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...

> Would Pong have played any better with a 256 colour display and stereo
> sound?

Um, probably not. But, how often do you play Pong, honestly?
!