Sony licenses Ageia PhysX physics engine and SDK for PS3

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Sony has licensed the Ageia PhysX physics engine and SDK for the PS3.
xflop 1.5 full circle is so screwed. The Cell can implement hardware
accelerated physics and AI much more effectively than a standard
multi-core processor.

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050721_140938.html

http://ageia.vnewscenter.com/contentAccess/050721be.pdf?contentId=1120108406252
8 answers Last reply
More about sony licenses ageia physx physics engine
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Blig Merk wrote:

    > Sony has licensed the Ageia PhysX physics engine and SDK for the PS3.

    Wow, you are REALLY grasping at straws now.

    FEAR.

    -Z-
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    mike wrote:
    > "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Sony has licensed the Ageia PhysX physics engine and SDK for the PS3.
    > > xflop 1.5 full circle is so screwed. The Cell can implement hardware
    > > accelerated physics and AI much more effectively than a standard
    > > multi-core processor.
    > >
    > > http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050721_140938.html
    > >
    > > http://ageia.vnewscenter.com/contentAccess/050721be.pdf?contentId=1120108406252
    > >

    > Hey Muk, it's not the hardware being licensed, it's the software. Tom's
    > Hardware is wrong if they think the hardware chip is going into the PS3. A
    > little added bonus here... Unreal Engine 3 already incorporates this by
    > default, Microsoft Game Studios has licensed it, Bioware has licensed it,
    > Midway is going to use it for nearly all upcoming games... etc. Sorry to
    > ruin your little post :) Have a good life!

    Never said anything about the hardware, you semi-literate boob. Learn
    how to read.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    > The Cell can implement hardware accelerated physics and AI much more
    > effectively > than a standard multi-core processor.

    Technology is a fantastic thing........

    But what about the punter/end user?

    Surely they have to have a modicum of intelligence?

    Would Pong have played any better with a 256 colour display and stereo
    sound?

    --
    terry v
    GT: terryfied

    "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Sony has licensed the Ageia PhysX physics engine and SDK for the PS3.
    > xflop 1.5 full circle is so screwed. The Cell can implement hardware
    > accelerated physics and AI much more effectively than a standard
    > multi-core processor.
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050721_140938.html
    >
    > http://ageia.vnewscenter.com/contentAccess/050721be.pdf?contentId=1120108406252

    Hey Muk, it's not the hardware being licensed, it's the software. Tom's
    Hardware is wrong if they think the hardware chip is going into the PS3. A
    little added bonus here... Unreal Engine 3 already incorporates this by
    default, Microsoft Game Studios has licensed it, Bioware has licensed it,
    Midway is going to use it for nearly all upcoming games... etc. Sorry to
    ruin your little post :) Have a good life!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    In article <_djEe.5489$IG2.1774@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
    "mike" <sonofzeus26@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Sony has licensed the Ageia PhysX physics engine and SDK for the PS3.
    > > xflop 1.5 full circle is so screwed. The Cell can implement hardware
    > > accelerated physics and AI much more effectively than a standard
    > > multi-core processor.
    > >
    > > http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050721_140938.html
    > >
    > > http://ageia.vnewscenter.com/contentAccess/050721be.pdf?contentId=1120108406
    > > 252
    > >

    > Hey Muk, it's not the hardware being licensed, it's the software. Tom's
    > Hardware is wrong if they think the hardware chip is going into the PS3. A
    > little added bonus here... Unreal Engine 3 already incorporates this by
    > default, Microsoft Game Studios has licensed it, Bioware has licensed it,
    > Midway is going to use it for nearly all upcoming games... etc. Sorry to
    > ruin your little post :) Have a good life!

    Sony's also getting the Havok engine. My guess is Havok/Unreal will be
    working on higher level stuff like APIs for making creatures walk and
    vehicles move, while Ageia will be more into the lower levels of getting
    physics simulation routines that those guys call to really fly on the
    Cell hardware.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    > mike wrote:
    >> "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > Sony has licensed the Ageia PhysX physics engine and SDK for the PS3.
    >> > xflop 1.5 full circle is so screwed. The Cell can implement hardware
    >> > accelerated physics and AI much more effectively than a standard
    >> > multi-core processor.
    >> >
    >> > http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050721_140938.html
    >> >
    >> > http://ageia.vnewscenter.com/contentAccess/050721be.pdf?contentId=1120108406252
    >> >

    >> Hey Muk, it's not the hardware being licensed, it's the software. Tom's
    >> Hardware is wrong if they think the hardware chip is going into the PS3.
    >> little added bonus here... Unreal Engine 3 already incorporates this by
    >> default, Microsoft Game Studios has licensed it, Bioware has licensed it,
    >> Midway is going to use it for nearly all upcoming games... etc. Sorry to
    >> ruin your little post :) Have a good life!
    >
    > Never said anything about the hardware, you semi-literate boob. Learn
    > how to read.

    Hey Muk, I thought you once said you never come back to your own thread?
    And so, enlighten me on how the 360 is screwed when they will have access to
    it as well? Suggesting superiority because of similarities in architecture
    would only be speculation at this point, so don't go there.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    As I was reading this I couldn't help but think it all sounded so
    familiar... why... it seems as though it were only a year ago last
    March...

    (dooo dooo dooo dooo dooo)

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.games.video.xbox/browse_frm/thread/d553d96d0ee3272e/30194b957eb3f1de?lnk=st&q=%22physics+engine%22+%2BSony&rnum=8#30194b957eb3f1de

    1. Blig Merk Mar 29 2004, 9:21 pm hide options
    Newsgroups: alt.games.video.xbox
    From: blog_sm...@yahoo.com (Blig Merk) - Find messages by this author
    Date: 29 Mar 2004 20:21:40 -0800
    Subject: PSP more powerful than PS2? will have Havok physics
    | Report Abuse

    The PSP may be more powerful than the PS2 in some areas. It is also
    going to have the Havok physics engine ported over to it. Plus there
    are 80+ developers on board now.

    http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/ne ws/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&ar
    ticleid=2...

    Now don't get me wrong, I'm a PSP owner and have enjoyed the games on
    it so far, but to say this had anything to do with a "Havok physics
    engine" is utter bullshit. As usual.

    Gee, I wonder what we'll be saying about the PhysX engine in a year.

    - Jordan
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "terry vickers" <terry@REMOVEterryv.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Would Pong have played any better with a 256 colour display and stereo
    > sound?

    Um, probably not. But, how often do you play Pong, honestly?

Console Gaming Engine PlayStation Games Sony Video Physx SDK Video Games