When is it time to RMA

hawx20

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
i built my first pc about 2 weeks ago and its worked perfectly. 2 days ago, I was playing thew swtor beta and my computer went to a black screen and i had to do a hard reset. Didnt think much of it and thought it was swtor that crashed. Well, since then, it does it everytime I game.

I've tried resetting the card, checking the power cables, new drivers, upgraded the bios on the card and my motherboard, and still crashes every time. Its an EVGA GTX 570 and the black screen is a common problem. It worries me seeing so many people complaining. I dont know if they are the vocal minority or if its just luck of the draw with these cards.

Like I said, it worked flawlessly for the first two weeks and without warning, it just started crashing to a black screen. Everything else works fine and it only crashes when gaming. I called Amazon and they are replacing it but i'm just worried that its something else besides the card. Is the safe bet on the card being defective? My PSU is a corsair tx650 which is plenty for my system.

Title says when to RMA, sounds like you already did. But I would say as soon as you find a (recurring) problem RMA. A lot of times you have only a couple of weeks to send it back to the vendor before you have to deal with the OEM and wait several weeks for a replacement.

hawx20

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
It worked fine for a couple of weeks and then black screens, a common issue, started happening. I've tried everything and still no go. Again, it only happens when gaming.