Sign in with
Your question
Closed

First PC Build - Compatibility?

Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2012 5:45:42 AM

I'm planning to build my first PC. Already picked the parts I'd like, but not sure if they're all compatible to put it together. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm pretty much set on the CPU, GPU and MOBO. The other parts, I could use different ones, if they're cheaper and better ;-)

Case: Antec P280 > big enough to put all parts in, and to cool them? Do I need to install/use all fans, get extra fans? (no plan to overclock)
Cooler: Prolimatech Armageddon (plus 2 extra fans) > especially, will RAM still fit with the fans installed?
CPU: 3930K
GPU: 7970 > not sure yet which exact model; main purpose: run X-Plane 10 (they're still working on improving drivers for WIN7 and ATI cards)
HDD: WD Caviar Green 1TB IntelliPower 64MB SATA 6Gb/s
MOBO: Asus P9X79 PRO
ODD: any DVD player
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M
RAM: Corsair 8GB Vengeance 1600MHz > regular or Low Profile? (LP gets hotter, I suppose?)

Thanks, looking forward to getting started.

More about : build compatibility

January 18, 2012 7:23:16 AM

I had a nice long message typed out with suggestions about how much overkill this is.. then reread about how youre stuck on the the cpu/mobo. Guess thats what I get for doing this stuff at 3 am...

Anyway, the cooler you have picked looks absolutely great, but you might consider a direct heat pipe connect cooler, something like the CM hyper 212 evo.

Otherwise, with no plans to OC or CrossFire, the 850 power supply is probably overkill. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... same brand, better efficiency, slightly lower wattage, about the same price.

It seems like you have a pretty large budget, don't forget to add an SSD, something like a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... would be a good one.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2012 7:49:20 AM

I think that RAM what you choosed is dual channel. For X79 socket 2011 you need quad channel memory.LP memory doesn't get hotter , LP is good not to interfere with the cpu coolers.For a cool and silent pc buy a Noctua cpu cooler.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

January 18, 2012 8:16:09 AM

Most likely don't need something as expensive as a noctua if you aren't overclocking. In fact, you could probably just use the stock cooler/fan and not have temperature issues without overclocking, but the aftermarket coolers are quieter in a lot of cases, and seem to be preferred for looks as well.

With the case you have selected, looks arent really an issue and you are for sure not going to OC,I'd stick to the stock cooler. If you plan on maybe overclocking down the road, and don't mind spending the money, grab an after market. The one you listed has some great reviews from just doing a google search on it, but I havent seen a price, though i for sure wouldn't add any extra fans. Without any overclocking, it's just not needed.
January 18, 2012 8:42:50 AM

I would go with the CM Hyper 212, its the best cooler for the money. on sale now $20 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=u972650t...

Not overclocking the 7970???? That beast of a card is built to be overclocked. Trust me you are going to want to overclock to get the most out of your system. Overclocking is not that hard, you just have a little know-how. Not overclocking a great card is like buying a Ferrari and always going the speed limit!!!! Nuts!!!!

PSU: the 7970 new architecture power needs are very low. With 850w you have enough for x2 7970 in crossfire plus extra room to overclock!
-Radeon HD 7970 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit.
Radeon HD 7970 Crossfire - On your average system the cards require you to have a 750 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-crossfire-...

-so keep the 850w PSU. When you are ready to upgrade your system to Crossfire years down the road your components will be ready for it, just gota slap in another 7970 :) 

Everything else looks good.

btw wait on a SSD they are too expensive right now for what they do
Score
January 18, 2012 10:36:03 PM

Awesome feedback. Thanks so much. I think I'll get a smaller PSU (maybe 750, Gold-rating, from Cooler Master or other). SSD: I won't need one for now, that can wait even a few years.
Score
January 25, 2012 10:58:26 PM

Best answer selected by gmikel.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2012 11:55:47 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!