Bridging

moomooman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Hi All,

My question concerns setting a router as a bridge, to boost wireless availability in my home. It appears to be working but my wireless network now appears twice when devices are scanning for available networks. I read somewhere that they should only show once if they are bridged correctly?

I have two routers, one is connected to my DSL connection ( Dlink DSL-2740B) where it enters the house, by the front door, but the wireless connection is flaky, so I added a second router upstairs ( Netopia 2247) connected via two Belkin Powerline Gigabit HD plugs. So far so good.

I set the Netopia to bridging mode and entered the same SSID and PSK as is set on my Dlink router.

So when I use my Windows XP laptop to detect wireless networks and it shows my SSID twice, is that normal?

Any help/comments welcome, the Netopia router has appalling documentation (came free from my ISP).

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
The two wireless signals are probably set to the same channel. For the two networks to appear seamlessly that close they should be manually configured to different channels, I believe typically 5 apart.

Try changing that, but it may not be possible with the netopia router to do this. I've only read about doing this from some sources I found on google.

moomooman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Hey thanks for your help! I will give that a shot when I get home.

I know the Dlink was set to auto channel selection but there is an option to specify one, as for the Netopia, I will will have to look into that.

If I get a solution I will post it back here in case it helps someone, thanks again :)