PSU frying my GPU's?

JD8201

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Ok, i recently had a PSU failure. I had a 600W in it. I changed it out with a 750W. When i connected everything and turned it on..i got smoke from the GPU. I turned it off pretty much instantly. Found an old GPU i had and hooked it up. Turned it on and this one smoked instantly and burned up. I reconnected the failing PSU (600w) back up to the GPU and it worked just fine. My question is: Is there something wrong with this new PSU i have?

Its an OCZ Fatal1ty 750W Modular Gaming 80Plus Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom. I dont know why when i hook it up that its frying the GPU's.
My mobo is an Asus Crosshair IV Extreme AMD 890FX.
The GPU is Radeo HD 4870 x2.
CPU is AMD Phenom.
I just dont want to send this PSU back and try another one...then end up frying my good GPU, when its not the problem. Bought the new PSU from new egg.

Any help would be really appreciative.

Check all of your connections. Make sure you are connecting your GPU to the cables with red connectors one red 6 pin one red 8 pin into each and red connectors are plugged into the red ports on the PSU . Also make sure your graphics cards are fully seated. If all is right and connections are firmly installed it could be a faulty PSU.

JD8201

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Hmm..ok. Well maybe that is the problem. When i hook it up right now, i use one red pin connector (6pin) and one black one (8pin). Boh are hooked up to the corresponding colors on the PSU though. Is the black (8pin) that im hooking up now meant for something else? It has 2 of those and then the big connector that goes to the mobo that come right from the PSU. All the other ones i have to plug in to the PSU myself. Man, i hope that is whats happening and that its this easy of a fix.

And no, i did not jam a 8 pin into a 6 pin connector :)

Plug in all four reds and use all four of them, the black shouldn't go into the GPU, use the red - there is a reversal of +/- between the two different colors on two (or more) of the pins, they don't play well interchanged.
Actually, that single black 8 pin should match up with the two 4pin CPU connections as far as wiring (giving the option to use either since some mobos only use one 4 pin)

rdc85

Honorable
U better start checking the gpu, if there a smoke it means the protection kickin on because of wrong power connected. Even it still working, the protection is completely fry...... (I'm guesing u will have to return the gpu not the psu)

JD8201

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
GPU is no longer under warranty. I got everything to boot back up with the old PSU...did a 3d benchmark test on the GPU and it seemed to run fine...for now.
As far as the connectors are concerned...the ones that are already attached to the psu are all black, 2 8 pins and 1 big 24 pin. All the other cables came in a seperate bag.
Ok, so here is what i will do. I will just connect 2 of the red ones to the PSU and then to the GPU and see what happens. If it frys...then i guess it frys..I dont see anything else i can do. I dont have another "cheap" gpu around to test it.
The 8 pin black one was also really tough to put in the GPU...so im sure thats the problem. Im still really new to building my own PC's, but good lord...why make 2 connectors exactly the same if the are not compatable!
Oh im sure the GPU is damaged....smoke is never a good thing. I just dont have the money right now to buy a new one. Will using this one that smoked cause any trouble to anything else? I mean....it works just fine using the older PSU. 3d benchmark was still really high and the temp stayed low.

rdc85

Honorable
It tough to insert because they didn't means for gpu (it actually a protection so people don't connect the wrong one), it for mobo 12v. But what happen is already happen, hope it turn out just some protection (i'm cannot say it in english) that fry not the entire gpu... also don't forget to keep monitoring the voltage from the psu using Hwmonitor or something similar to check if the psu still in good shape...

Lesson here if it hard to connect it means it wrong one or something is wrong (don't push it hard)......

JD8201

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I thought that too...I had a guy look at it here at my house...he plugged it in the same spot....he said..wow its really tough to plug in...so i figured since he knew more than me about this, than it must be right. Now i know....thanks for all the help guys/gals.

Don't ever let him touch your computer again

JD8201

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Problem solved! That was the issue. The 8 pin i was connecting to the gpu was just another 12v cpu connector. Are there mobos out there that use 2 of those 12v 8 pin connectors?

The GIGABYTE G1.Assassin LGA 1366 Intel X58 is an example of such a motherboard.

sk1939

Distinguished

Some BTX/Dual CPU boards might, although they are rare.

top.jpg