Will skylake be a "good" upgrade?

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Well since im with a 8120 right now im ive been thinking about waiting for haswell (which by the way will be in a while from now) but should i wait till skylake which will come out in a very very long time? Would it be a good or bad upgrade for haswell since i heard haswell was mainly for power saving stuff and that in 2015 (i think) that intel says there atoms will be as good as the phenom ii but they never said exactly what phenom ii but im thinking they mean the x2.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Technology changes so quickly, even 6 months looks pretty long. In 3 - 3 1/2 years, technology may probably be in the moon :D

I agree.. Haswell already is too far in the future to predict. It could be a disaster. Ivy isn't all that much to get excited about and both AMD and Intel have their halls of shame, although with the disappointment of Bulldozer so fresh in everyone's mind, its easy to forget that both company's are no strangers to failures. Although, I think the biggest failure of Bulldozer was their original price. Right now the prices have been cut, and if you ask me, they're priced where they should have debuted at. Stick with your 8120 until you find theres something it can't do for you anymore. Right now, there isn't anything a Bulldozer "can't do", regardless of whether or not Intel is better.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

So either stick with what i have or maybe haswell? My computer has some issues a like the hyper 212+ doea not look good in my case and stuff, so im guessing skylake is not going to be that major of a upgrade it's just by the the performance will get that good but my guess is that skylake and haswell will be like sandy bridge and nehalem.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
If the current system is doing its job well. I would not worry...Cross the Haswell bridge when you are there.

Perhaps, I just think you can't really look that far into the future when it comes to computer systems.

As far as the hyper not looking good.. Thats a personal thing, I've never been particularly concerned about what the inside of my case looks like, as long as the system is stable, thats good enough for me. The inside of my case may be considered a "mess" by some, but it works...
insidecase.jpg