Media Computer Upstairs to Downstairs

I recently built a computer for trading and gaming. I'm currently running three monitors. I was going to build a second computer for downstairs, to hook to my TV. I got to thinking and realized I have support for 4-6 monitors, so if there was a way to connect my upstairs computer to my downstairs TV that would be optimal.

The only way I can think of is to run a HDMI cable from my video card to the TV. This would take at least a 50' cable. I would also need a USB cable for my wireless media keyboard dongle. I'm hoping there is a better way.

Anybody got any ideas?
6 answers Last reply
More about media computer upstairs downstairs
  1. Fifty feet of HDMI cable would cost about $300. That's because you can't use everyday consumer crap at that length, no matter how much marketing hype they slap on the packaging of their rubber-coated Chinese baling wire. Series 1 Belden is the only way to go. Not to mention fishing it through your house. USB can't go that far without a repeater cable, for another $30. What with this and that, call it $400. For that money you could get an HTPC and a NAS, with money left over for a copy of "Portal 2". You should have Ethernet to your TV setup, anyway, for Internet content and firmware updates.
  2. Here's the cheap alternative. HDMI wall plates with signal being carried by two eth cables. Have this setup at my house and works very well.

http://www.geektonic.com/2009/09/diy-hdmi-and-usb-over-ethernet-extender.html

Hope this helps!
  3. @ Petrofsky - You should look at MonoPrice.com - 50ft 24AWG CL2 Standard HDMI® Cable - Black. Lots of positive reviews and the 35' DVI to HDMI cable I purchased from them has been working flawlessly.

That said, your best bet would be to go ahead and build a low end HTPC type system for your downstairs monitor. Set up a network (if you don't have one already) and just run a network cable between the two systems.

-Wolf sends
  4. Wolfshadw said:
    @ Petrofsky - You should look at MonoPrice.com - 50ft 24AWG CL2 Standard HDMI® Cable - Black. Lots of positive reviews and the 35' DVI to HDMI cable I purchased from them has been working flawlessly.

That said, your best bet would be to go ahead and build a low end HTPC type system for your downstairs monitor. Set up a network (if you don't have one already) and just run a network cable between the two systems.

-Wolf sends

It's not rated for 1080p. If I'm going to go to all that trouble, I'm installing tip-top cable.
  5. HDMI wallplate > ethernet > hdmi wallplate is the way to go
  6. @Petrofsky - Huh!! I didn't even notice that part. I will note, however, that the 35ft 24AWG CL2 Standard HDMI® to DVI Adapter Cable - Black I purchased states the same, but I have no problems with 1920x1080 displaying on my Optoma HD20 projector.

-Wolf sends
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt TV Computer Monitors Systems