Media Computer Upstairs to Downstairs

wick780

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I recently built a computer for trading and gaming. I'm currently running three monitors. I was going to build a second computer for downstairs, to hook to my TV. I got to thinking and realized I have support for 4-6 monitors, so if there was a way to connect my upstairs computer to my downstairs TV that would be optimal.

The only way I can think of is to run a HDMI cable from my video card to the TV. This would take at least a 50' cable. I would also need a USB cable for my wireless media keyboard dongle. I'm hoping there is a better way.

Anybody got any ideas?

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Fifty feet of HDMI cable would cost about $300. That's because you can't use everyday consumer crap at that length, no matter how much marketing hype they slap on the packaging of their rubber-coated Chinese baling wire. Series 1 Belden is the only way to go. Not to mention fishing it through your house. USB can't go that far without a repeater cable, for another $30. What with this and that, call it $400. For that money you could get an HTPC and a NAS, with money left over for a copy of "Portal 2". You should have Ethernet to your TV setup, anyway, for Internet content and firmware updates.

Wolfshadw

Titan
@ Petrofsky - You should look at MonoPrice.com - 50ft 24AWG CL2 Standard HDMI® Cable - Black. Lots of positive reviews and the 35' DVI to HDMI cable I purchased from them has been working flawlessly.

That said, your best bet would be to go ahead and build a low end HTPC type system for your downstairs monitor. Set up a network (if you don't have one already) and just run a network cable between the two systems.

-Wolf sends

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

It's not rated for 1080p. If I'm going to go to all that trouble, I'm installing tip-top cable.