Naming Files

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 14, 2005 4:28:34 AM

Would anyone like to share their system for naming files? I've just bought
my first digital camera and would like to start with a good system rather
than have to go back and rename thousands of photos down the road. For what
it's worth, I'll be using ZoomBrowser. Thanks.

More about : naming files

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 4:28:35 AM

Tim wrote:

> Would anyone like to share their system for naming files? I've just bought
> my first digital camera and would like to start with a good system rather
> than have to go back and rename thousands of photos down the road. For what
> it's worth, I'll be using ZoomBrowser. Thanks.

I don't rename mine at all.. I store them in descriptive directories:

Family, Vacation, Pet, Wildlife, etc...

The directories have subdirectories that break things down further:

Vacation -> 2003
-> 2004 etc...

With album software that supplies thumbnails, it's easy to find a
particular image quickly despite the fact I have thousands of shots
that I've taken over the years.
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 4:28:35 AM

"Tim" <xyz@mXn.rYr.cZom> writes:

> Would anyone like to share their system for naming files? I've just bought
> my first digital camera and would like to start with a good system rather
> than have to go back and rename thousands of photos down the road. For what
> it's worth, I'll be using ZoomBrowser. Thanks.

I have far too many systems for naming files, or otherwise identifying
photographs (I had at least 4 in use before I got my first digital
camera).

The scheme I've been using for all new photos in the past 5 years
works like this:

A photo shot today would be renamed to

ddb 20050513 010-030-orig.raf (or jpg)

(where the "030" part will increment for each photo, starting at
001). "ddb" identifies me, so that my files have a fighting chance of
not having naming conflicts with other people's files. "20050513" is
todays date, year first. "010" is a "session" identifier; it's not
strictly necessary, but I find it convenient when I shoot photos of
completely unrelated things on the same day that there be some clear
distinction between the file names, and this is where that distinction
lies. The second session of the day will be "020". When I'm mixing
film and digital I make each roll of film a separate session. I'm
leaving the gap of 10 to allow insertion of things later on more
careful sorting. Finally, the last "030" is the shot number within
the session; it starts with 001 and increments just by 1. This takes
the place of the "negative number" I used to use from the edges of my
35mm film.

I include the "-orig" first of all to distinguish the camera original
file from a jpg file I make later for web display; and second of all
to distinguish camera original files from scanned files (which have
"-scan" instead).

When I save versions of the file, the "-orig" is omitted. My
convention is that an otherwise unidentifed .jpg is a web-resolution
display file. If I save a TIFF or PSD file, I simply use that
extension, usually with no other mark of distinction. If I make
display files at multiple resolutions, I append the height or width in
pixels (whichever was critical in my choice of size). A file intended
for printing gets "-print" appended. If I'm doing other complex
things, or playing with multiple versions of a print or something, I
find other ways to identify them at the end of the file name.

Thus, all my versions of the same image will have the same file name
up to a point; so they'll sort together in a normal alphabetical
directory listing.

I store files in a year/month directory tree. If I have special
events during the month I sometimes put additional subdirectories
under the month, to make it easier to keep track of the files.

The biggest thing wrong with this scheme is the length of file names.
Since I now very rarely have to write them by hand or type them in
full, this isn't so big a problem as it might be for me.
May 14, 2005 4:28:35 AM

sgray2@NOcfl.rr.comSPAM (Steven Gray) writes:

> "Tim" <xyz@mXn.rYr.cZom> wrote in
>
>> Would anyone like to share their system for naming files? I've just
>> bought my first digital camera and would like to start with a good
>> system rather than have to go back and rename thousands of photos down
>> the road. For what it's worth, I'll be using ZoomBrowser. Thanks.
>>
> You might want to consider leaving the names that same as they come from
> the camera, numbered sequentially. That's what I do, and I keep a log
> indicating the subject matter and dates for each picture or group of
> pictures.

This is useful, and quite tempting, when working with your own photos
only. However, it leaves your files looking very much like everybody
elses files when they get combined anywhere, and it doesn't give you a
direction for naming scanned film images.
May 14, 2005 4:28:35 AM

For archival purposes, so that others may have some understanding of the
photo, do this:

Start the filename with the year so that they sort chronologically in a
directory
Then Name each person from left to right
Then Name the place or what they are doing

You have up to 255 characters to make up the file name.

"Tim" <xyz@mXn.rYr.cZom> wrote in message
> Would anyone like to share their system for naming files? I've just bought
> my first digital camera and would like to start with a good system rather
> than have to go back and rename thousands of photos down the road. For
> what it's worth, I'll be using ZoomBrowser. Thanks.

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 4:28:35 AM

What a good question!

In 2000, I got my first digital (Nikon Coolpix 950) and I started right
off the bat by having a folder called Nikon and in there, I opened a
folder for each month so I have mine arranged as to date.

So it would look like this:

Nikon
Nikon Photos 040101-040131
Nikon Photos 040201-040229

and so on.

If I do ANYTHING to an original, I add the letter "a" if small or "b"
if still larger but cropped or something to the end of the file name
and put it into a folder called "Resized"

I now have the Nikon Coolpix 8700 and so now I have the same system for
it but named my main folder Nikon 8700 and have all the monthly folders
under it.

There are many fantastic ways though to organize photos and you've done
a good thing asking the question. I've learned a lot by reading the
replies although my system works for me.

Patzt

*****
Join us at Photography Cafe
http://photography-cafe.com
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 4:28:35 AM

ALWAYS include a numeral in the file name if you even think you may
have additional photos of the same subject! For instance,
"college1.jpg" is a good start.

See the http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 4:28:35 AM

"Tim" <xyz@mXn.rYr.cZom> wrote in message
> Would anyone like to share their system for naming files? I've just bought
> my first digital camera and would like to start with a good system rather
> than have to go back and rename thousands of photos down the road. For
what
> it's worth, I'll be using ZoomBrowser. Thanks.

I am kind of weird. I leave the names mostly unchanged for my "serious"
cameras (like my Nikon Coolpix 5700 and Canon EOS300D) but I change the
names for the 'snapshot' cameras.

For the "snapshot" camera I use the format 2005-05-11-001.jpg where all of
that is the date except the last part, which is a sequential number. By
having the year first and the dates in numbers (with leading zeros) if I
copy them to a "reprints" folder or whatever it still sorts them oldest to
newest.

I didn't change names with the "serious" cameras because with the 5700 there
was a raw (nef) linked to it & I wanted to be able to keep the JPEG & its
associated RAW "linked," which was easier with the name unchanged. The
practice has continued with the Canon 300D, even though its naming system
keeps them "linked" better (at least you know it's from a RAW just by seeing
jfr or rj in its name). Part of the reason is that it automatically
organizes folders for each image based on the date it was shot, making the
renaming based on date not as necessary.

The only change I make with these cameras is that the Nikon has DSCN as the
prefix and IMG as the prefix, both all-capitals. I use a routine I wrote in
Visual Basic in an Access database which converts DSCN to dscn and IMG to
img, because when you FTP files sometimes it converts them this same
way--and it could make things confusing if there is "mixed cases."

With all cameras, I group the folders & the associated shots by camera used,
then year, then month--and the Canon 300D also (automatically by the
software) by date shot.

LRH
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 5:03:46 AM

UrbanVoyeur <nospam@nospam.org> writes:

> I use a similar system:
> 20050513-01-23.xxx
>
> For Film - YearMoDy-Roll Number-Frame Number.xxx
> For Digital- YearMoDy-Flash Card Number-Frame Number.xxx
>
> I number and label my flash cards - I carry 8 or more at a time so
> it's the only way to keep them straight. I number the frames with the
> flash card number for 2 reasons:
> - makes it easier to sort groups of photos, since I often change
> cards at natural breaks
> - if I get a corrupt card it's easy to identfy and isolate.

My scheme doesn't get me easy access to corrupt cards, and doesn't
preserve what card was used originally. Then again, I'll detect
corruption when copying from the card, so I have it right to hand
anyway. Also I've never had the slightest moment's doubt about any of
my cards in the 5 years I've been shooting digitally, so it hasn't
been something I've spent much time worrying about.

> A PHP script does the re-naming for me.

I used several generations of perl scripts, including one that's
involved in merging copies of files from multiple media and avoiding
duplicates, but now I just use Siren File Rename (and the new camera
handles numbering enough better that I don't have the same duplicate
issues).

> I shoot RAW + JPEG (small), store them as follow:
>
> Folder Structure:
> 20D_20050513_john_doe [camera model, date format, main subject]
>
> Inside are the following folders:
> - dng
> - jpeg
> - 450 [web size]
> - 120 [thumbnail size]
> - filtered [noise correction applied]
> - unfilterd [straight from camera]
> - psd [photoshop]
> - raw [straight from camera]
> - tiff
> - filtered [noise correction applied]
> - unfiltered [noise correction not applied yet]
>
> The tiff folder and unfiltered folders are intermediate - NoiseNinja
> used to require Tiff's to work.

Yep. I don't break them out into separate folders; I find it's easier
to deal with them all together in one place. I also don't have as
many versions, though, at least in the long run; and I do sometimes
set a group of intermediates aside in a batch directory temporarily.

I'm just starting to look into archiving DNG files. The big win for
me seems to be space -- they're less than half the size of my Fuji S2
raw files. They may also be more convertible in the future. Then
again if I archive my software carefully I will always be able to run
my Fuji EX converter if absolutely necessary, or Adobe Camera Raw;
under Windows 2000 in a software Intel processor emulator on my
Macintosh or unix box, if absolutely necessary. I'm afraid of
throwing away the RAW files yet because DNG may not fully include
everything in them, and may not last as long. Both is obviously
safer, but certainly doesn't help my archiving needs!

Skipping workflow discussion, which is yet another *large* can of
worms, but where what you're doing doesn't strike me as either so
stupid or so unexpectedly wonderful as to stimulate long-winded
commentary :-). (That is, yours looks sensible, and didn't open any
unexpected doors of enlightenment to me.)
May 14, 2005 5:05:19 AM

"Evad Remlu" <evad@dodgeit.com> writes:

> For archival purposes, so that others may have some understanding of the
> photo, do this:
>
> Start the filename with the year so that they sort chronologically in a
> directory
> Then Name each person from left to right
> Then Name the place or what they are doing
>
> You have up to 255 characters to make up the file name.

Certainly people will greatly appreciate it if you include what
information you know about location and subjects. I prefer to encode
that in IPTC fields inside the file instead. This makes for simpler
and shorter file names (and I try to maintain the name throughout all
the uses I make of it).
May 14, 2005 5:07:14 AM

"editor@netpath.net" <editor@netpath.net> writes:

> ALWAYS include a numeral in the file name if you even think you may
> have additional photos of the same subject! For instance,
> "college1.jpg" is a good start.

But "college001.jpg" is a better start; look at where "college1.jpg",
"college10.jpg", and "college2.jpg" sort.
May 14, 2005 5:07:31 AM

--
Steve Gray
sgray2@cfl.rr.com

Steven Gray wrote:
> "Tim" <xyz@mXn.rYr.cZom> wrote in
>

>>Would anyone like to share their system for naming files? I've just
>>bought my first digital camera and would like to start with a good
>>system rather than have to go back and rename thousands of photos down
>>the road. For what it's worth, I'll be using ZoomBrowser. Thanks.
>>

> You might want to consider leaving the names that same as they come from
> the camera, numbered sequentially. That's what I do, and I keep a log
> indicating the subject matter and dates for each picture or group of
> pictures.

My system may not work for others, but:
I leave the original named as it comes from the camera. The files are,
initially loaded into folders with the day's date. Then they are moved
to 'My Pictures' into a folder with a date like 'Mothers day 2005' or
'Kylees birthday 2004'. Since my picture-taking is event oriented, this
is a quite simple and workable system for me. I also have several
'catchall' folders, such as 'home' or 'work' that have pictures taken of
those places, and a large 'misc' folder for things that just don't
categorize well.
I use PSE3 organizer to keep track of all my pictures of various people
as it allows 'tagging', and 'collections', and various ways of selecting
pictures, such as 'kylee' or 'kelby' not 'teri'.
Any individual picture can be located chronologically by the original
filename which includes a sequential number as it came from the camera,
and the exact time, and date is available in the EXIF data.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

I keep the camera names but it would be ideal to rename using the date &
time. I add plus signs to the end as a method of culling though once
judged, I move pics into seconds & thirds folders & raw or originals
folders. The top level has my final choice ready to print. We versions
go in a totally separate folder that mirrors the web site.

The main organizing principle I use is to sort in nested folders by
place name or subject, then by date.

place1
2005-05-13-sunset
2005-05-13-evening

place2
2005-05-13-sunset
2005-05-13-evening

I wrote a php thingy that helps create annotation for web images by
creating plain text files with the same name as the image.

Often, I will need to sort the images to flow in a sensible slide show
sequence. I use ACDsee to drag & drop into sequence then use ACD's batch
rename to lock that seqquence with numbers that'll sort alphanumerically.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

Tim <xyz@mXn.rYr.cZom> spewed:
> Would anyone like to share their system for naming files? I've just
> bought my first digital camera and would like to start with a good
> system rather than have to go back and rename thousands of photos
> down the road. For what it's worth, I'll be using ZoomBrowser. Thanks.

I have the master folder of "digital images" with subfolders of "2002"
"2003" "2004" etc... each of them with a subfolder for the day the camera
was downloaded... ------> "2005-03-24" and then I used the XP wizard to
transfer the files with dates of the same name "2005-03-24 01.jpg" etc

Keeps everything nice and tidy, imho.

--
Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com
Anonymous

Evad Remlu <evad@dodgeit.com> spewed:
> For archival purposes, so that others may have some understanding of
> the photo, do this:
>
> Start the filename with the year so that they sort chronologically in
> a directory
> Then Name each person from left to right
> Then Name the place or what they are doing
>
> You have up to 255 characters to make up the file name.

I cringe at the thought of doing that to all of the photos I've taken over
the past several years. :)  I've got waaaay too many photos to be doing
that.

--
Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 6:52:50 AM

Robert J Batina <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> spewed:
> I have the master folder of "digital images" with subfolders of "2002"
> "2003" "2004" etc... each of them with a subfolder for the day the
> camera was downloaded... ------> "2005-03-24" and then I used the
> XP wizard to transfer the files with dates of the same name "2005-03-24
> 01.jpg" etc

Oh, I forgot... next to the date based folder name, I also include a brief
description in parenthasis so that I have a general idea of what the folder
contains.

Digital Images ---->
2005 ----->
2005-03-17 (Abandoned Houses in Newark) ------->
2005-03-17 04.jpg
etc

--
Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 7:02:19 AM

"Tim" <xyz@mXn.rYr.cZom> wrote in message
> Would anyone like to share their system for naming files? I've just bought
> my first digital camera and would like to start with a good system rather
> than have to go back and rename thousands of photos down the road. For
what
> it's worth, I'll be using ZoomBrowser. Thanks.

to transfer the files i only use a card reader and plug that into the usb
port to use it like a hard drive. i dont use the proprietary nikon, canon,
minolta or oly software. (only nikon capture sometimes for raw work - but
that is already post-production...)

alright - i use a folder such as

c:\photos

in there i create a folder for each time i pull down files from my camera:

c\photos\2005-05-03 manhattan, brooklyn
c\photos\2005-05-05 boston

you get the idea...
that is where i put all the ORIGINAL files in - i can't stress this enough:
NEVER edit your original files! they are like your negatives!

within each of these folders i have a "\edited" folder: in here i put all
the images i want to edit and open it from there, edit them and save them in
a lossless format (usually superPNG).

if i shoot NEF + JPG, i also have a folder "\nef" (i use nikon RAW) in the
"main folders" (next to the "\edited" one)

in here i put all the NEF files - the jpg ones i leave like above (actually
i wrote a batch script to create the folders and move all the files, but
essentially thats what it does)

alright... last step:
use Exifer (freeware) and rename all the files. scheme:
YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_#XXX.EXT
XXX is a counter, which is pretty much for when there are more than one
images that were taken in the same second (burst mode)
EXT id the file extension (JPG or NEF) - careful! Exifer cant deal with RAW
files - try renaming them to .tif and see if it will batch rename them for
you then. afterwards change the file extenson back to its original.
so that gives me files such as 20050505_220453_#052.jpg - all neatly sorted
by date taken.

thats pretty much it...
hope i could help!
sid
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 7:33:24 AM

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> "Tim" <xyz@mXn.rYr.cZom> writes:
>

>>Would anyone like to share their system for naming files? I've just bought
>>my first digital camera and would like to start with a good system rather
>>than have to go back and rename thousands of photos down the road. For what
>>it's worth, I'll be using ZoomBrowser. Thanks.
>

> I have far too many systems for naming files, or otherwise identifying
> photographs (I had at least 4 in use before I got my first digital
> camera).
>
> The scheme I've been using for all new photos in the past 5 years
> works like this:
>
> A photo shot today would be renamed to
>
> ddb 20050513 010-030-orig.raf (or jpg)
>
> (where the "030" part will increment for each photo, starting at
> 001). "ddb" identifies me, so that my files have a fighting chance of
> not having naming conflicts with other people's files. "20050513" is
> todays date, year first. "010" is a "session" identifier; it's not
> strictly necessary, but I find it convenient when I shoot photos of
> completely unrelated things on the same day that there be some clear
> distinction between the file names, and this is where that distinction
> lies. The second session of the day will be "020". When I'm mixing
> film and digital I make each roll of film a separate session. I'm
> leaving the gap of 10 to allow insertion of things later on more
> careful sorting. Finally, the last "030" is the shot number within
> the session; it starts with 001 and increments just by 1. This takes
> the place of the "negative number" I used to use from the edges of my
> 35mm film.

I use a similar system:
20050513-01-23.xxx

For Film - YearMoDy-Roll Number-Frame Number.xxx
For Digital- YearMoDy-Flash Card Number-Frame Number.xxx

I number and label my flash cards - I carry 8 or more at a time so it's
the only way to keep them straight. I number the frames with the flash
card number for 2 reasons:
- makes it easier to sort groups of photos, since I often change cards
at natural breaks
- if I get a corrupt card it's easy to identfy and isolate.

A PHP script does the re-naming for me.

I shoot RAW + JPEG (small), store them as follow:

Folder Structure:
20D_20050513_john_doe [camera model, date format, main subject]

Inside are the following folders:
- dng
- jpeg
- 450 [web size]
- 120 [thumbnail size]
- filtered [noise correction applied]
- unfilterd [straight from camera]
- psd [photoshop]
- raw [straight from camera]
- tiff
- filtered [noise correction applied]
- unfiltered [noise correction not applied yet]

The tiff folder and unfiltered folders are intermediate - NoiseNinja
used to require Tiff's to work.

Old Workflow:
Raw -> DNG
Raw -> Jpeg
Raw -> Tiff
------------ Archive to DVD or CD-ROM

TIFF -> NoiseNinja -> Tiff -> PSD -> Output

JPEG -> Noise Ninja -> Jpeg -> send out for quick turn around.

New Work Flow:
Raw -> DNG
Raw -> Jpeg
Raw -> Tiff
------------ Archive to DVD or CD-ROM

DNG -> NoiseNinja in Photoshop -> PSD -> Output
JPEG -> Noise Ninja -> Jpeg -> send out for quick turn around.

www.urbanvoyeur.com
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 7:50:42 AM

On 5/13/05 7:28 PM, in article SCbhe.154$bn.132@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com, "Tim"
<xyz@mXn.rYr.cZom> wrote:

> Would anyone like to share their system for naming files? I've just bought
> my first digital camera and would like to start with a good system rather
> than have to go back and rename thousands of photos down the road. For what
> it's worth, I'll be using ZoomBrowser. Thanks.

Great question! I am always interested in any good ideas in this area so
will be reviewing all of the replies. My system now is to retain the number
assigned by the camera. I mostly shoot raw so the raw original keeps just
the photo number assigned by the camera. These I keep in a specific raw
folder which I periodically move to a DVD as it gets full. The raws get
converted to tiffs or PSD files (and sometimes jpegs) for archiving and
working. These go into different folders depending on the the subject.
Usually I will add an identifying word (or two or three) after the number
associated with the tiff, PSD or jpeg. If I ever need to go back and
retrieve the raw for any reason I can just search for the directory or DVD
containing a particular image number.
Chuck
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 12:42:50 PM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:25:17 -0500
Jim Townsend <not@real.address> wrote:

> With album software that supplies thumbnails, it's easy to find a
> particular image quickly despite the fact I have thousands of shots
> that I've taken over the years.

I store mine in a folder named Photos - it does take a while to find one but the filing system is really simple.

--
neil
delete delete to reply

Neil Ellwood wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:25:17 -0500
> Jim Townsend <not@real.address> wrote:
>

>>With album software that supplies thumbnails, it's easy to find a
>>particular image quickly despite the fact I have thousands of shots
>>that I've taken over the years.
>

> I store mine in a folder named Photos - it does take a while to find one but the filing system is really simple.

At least you know where they are... One score for digital.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 2:11:32 PM

Ron Hunter wrote:
> Neil Ellwood wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:25:17 -0500
>> Jim Townsend <not@real.address> wrote:
>>

>>> With album software that supplies thumbnails, it's easy to find a
>>> particular image quickly despite the fact I have thousands of
>>> shots
>>> that I've taken over the years.
>>

>> I store mine in a folder named Photos - it does take a while to
>> find
>> one but the filing system is really simple.
> At least you know where they are... One score for digital.

See how easy it is when you get the right perspective on it? Way to
go.

On the other hand you could use my method: I store raw originals under
gross (camera name; 20d_), fine (date of transfer to computer;
_20050505), super-fine (camera-assigned number; _IMG_0001).

When an image is broken out for post-processing the intermediate
versions (psd or tiff) go into a project-name directory (RIR19830423)
with descriptive terms substituting for early terms in the
assigned-number (NewmanLegsAtRIRc_3745.psd).

Production versions destined for Web site display go into a directory
synchronized with the directory on a server
(picturs51\NewmanLegsAtRIRc.jpg); for printing, tiff or psd or
best-quaity jpeg files go in an Epson\projectName\projectDate\ or
outsource\egBigPrints\projectName\projectDate\ directory for
appropriate disposition.

Original camera number (or serially assigned scan number) is always
associated with the image. I use Agent Ransack to find image number or
descriptive terms. It's quick and easy, especially on second or
subsequent searches.

Plus which, these 'naming' threads always remind me of one of the best
poems of all:
http://www.solearabiantree.net/namingofparts/namingofpa...

--
Frank S

"Verbing wierds language."
-Calvin
May 14, 2005 4:08:20 PM

"Tim" <xyz@mXn.rYr.cZom> wrote in message
> Would anyone like to share their system for naming files? I've just bought
> my first digital camera and would like to start with a good system rather
> than have to go back and rename thousands of photos down the road. For
> what it's worth, I'll be using ZoomBrowser. Thanks.

Tim, luckily I discovered early on that ZoomBrowser is perfect for complete
photo file management so I don't need to use additional programs. If you're
going to try using it, be sure you have the latest version, 5.0.0.142 I
believe, which can be downloaded from the Canon site. My camera doesn't take
RAW images so that greatly simplifies things.

If I haven't downloaded in a while, a typical CF card might contain a
combination of subjects/events taken on different dates, such as of my pets,
a Memorial Day party, and Disney World. I'll use this as an example, which
also describes how I incorporate my backup procedure in this process.

Once I set the following options, the only thing I have to change for each
download is the Prefix, such as Kitties, Memorial Day, or Disney World:

- "Acquire Images"
- "Lets you select and download images"
- Pictures are displayed. Highlight only the ones that should be categorized
together. E.g.: Kitties. Since they're usually grouped together, shift-click
works most of the time.
- "Download images"
- In the file name window I have set the following:
* Prefix + Shooting YearMonthDate + Number
* Prefix: enter "Kitties"
* Number of digits: 4
* Start: 1
* Save to folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Renee\My Documents\My
Pictures (default)
* Check "Create Subfolder" / choose "Shooting Year\Shooting
YearMonthDate"
- "Starts Download"

Repeat above procedure for Memorial Day, then Disney photos.

I created a folder within "My Pictures" called "Favorites". Edited photos
are also placed in the same folder as the originals, but I append v1, v2,
etc. to the filename. When I get the chance, I go back and rate my photos
using the ZoomBrowser 1-3 star system. Using the pull-down 3-star filter, I
filter for all 3 star photos and copy only those to their corresponding
categories within my "Favorites" folder.

"My Pictures" folder might be organized as:

My Pictures
- 2004
. . .
- 2005
- 2005_05_01
Kitties_20050501_0001
Kitties_20050501_0002
- 2005_05_15
Disney World_20050515_0001
Disney World_20050515_0002
- 2005_05_30
Memorial Day_20050530_0001
Memorial Day_20050530_0002
- 2006
. . .
- Favorites
- Friends and Family
Labor Day_20040906_0020
Granny BD_20050101_0010 v3
Memorial Day_20050530_0002 v3
- Kitties
Kitties_20050501_0001
- Wildlife
Ducks_20050403_0015 v2
- Yard
Roses_20040329_0029
Flowers_20050429_0033 v3

I backup my photos onto two types of DVDs:
1) Year DVDs (usually more than a single year fits onto a single disc)
2) Favorites DVDs

My Favorites pictures are always handy for web posting, e-mailing, and
printing. My Favorites filenames are labeled in such a way that I can always
ZoomBrowser's Zoom, Scroll, and Preview modes all make it easy to find what
I'm looking for in a folder, too.

I find this method fairly quick and automated. So far I've always been able
to find what I need so I don't need to bother with manually entering
keywords or further categorizing, or running additional programs.

HTH

Renee
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 5:15:54 PM

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> My scheme doesn't get me easy access to corrupt cards, and doesn't
> preserve what card was used originally. Then again, I'll detect
> corruption when copying from the card, so I have it right to hand
> anyway. Also I've never had the slightest moment's doubt about any of
> my cards in the 5 years I've been shooting digitally, so it hasn't
> been something I've spent much time worrying about.

I new to digital - less than a year, so I don't yet have your confidence
in cards. I'm prob being overly cautious - but I also drop them, and
occasionally get them wet.

> but now I just use Siren File Rename (and the new camera
> handles numbering enough better that I don't have the same duplicate
> issues).

Thanks for the Siren tip. I'm trying it out today.

> I'm just starting to look into archiving DNG files. The big win for
> me seems to be space -- they're less than half the size of my Fuji S2
> raw files. They may also be more convertible in the future. Then
> again if I archive my software carefully I will always be able to run
> my Fuji EX converter if absolutely necessary, or Adobe Camera Raw;
> under Windows 2000 in a software Intel processor emulator on my
> Macintosh or unix box, if absolutely necessary.

That's my biggest fear - I won't have the right software 10 or 15 years
from now.

www.urbanvoyeur.com
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 6:03:03 PM

I did not see my method discussed though it is a variation on what other
use. I am a recreational photographer. I use the camera file name from
my Olympus which is in the monthdaysequential number format. I then
place them in one directory called pictures, with subdirectories in the
format year month number month name. 2005 01 Jan. For special events I
create a subdirectory in the month directory. Since I archive to CD they
are permenantly dated.

I also give many CD to family of my backups. It gives me multiple
source to obtain my photos in case of the worst, and give my family the
enjoyment of sharing my photos.

UrbanVoyeur wrote:
> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>

>> My scheme doesn't get me easy access to corrupt cards, and doesn't
>> preserve what card was used originally. Then again, I'll detect
>> corruption when copying from the card, so I have it right to hand
>> anyway. Also I've never had the slightest moment's doubt about any of
>> my cards in the 5 years I've been shooting digitally, so it hasn't
>> been something I've spent much time worrying about.
>>
> I new to digital - less than a year, so I don't yet have your confidence
> in cards. I'm prob being overly cautious - but I also drop them, and
> occasionally get them wet.
>

>> but now I just use Siren File Rename (and the new camera
>> handles numbering enough better that I don't have the same duplicate
>> issues).
>

> Thanks for the Siren tip. I'm trying it out today.
>

>> I'm just starting to look into archiving DNG files. The big win for
>> me seems to be space -- they're less than half the size of my Fuji S2
>> raw files. They may also be more convertible in the future. Then
>> again if I archive my software carefully I will always be able to run
>> my Fuji EX converter if absolutely necessary, or Adobe Camera Raw;
>> under Windows 2000 in a software Intel processor emulator on my
>> Macintosh or unix box, if absolutely necessary.
>

> That's my biggest fear - I won't have the right software 10 or 15 years
> from now.

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 6:41:55 PM

Tim wrote:
> Would anyone like to share their system for naming files? I've just
> bought my first digital camera and would like to start with a good
> system rather than have to go back and rename thousands of photos
> down the road. For what it's worth, I'll be using ZoomBrowser. Thanks.

For what it's worth I have a naming system which I use for film & photo
scans as well as my digital shots.

I use Irfanview to do batch naming and it issues a serial # automatically

2005 02 01 (###) @ Lake Pupuke-300d.JPG

I make a folder under the camera name like ...

Nikon Coolpix 5000 Digital 5.0mP

then a folder by the year and then a unique folder for the day's shooting

2005 03 27 Brown's Bay

My conventions for naming the images are as follows.

eg: 1970 05 19 (130-03) Gladys May Hollis nee Kelly 1893-1974 @ Auckland
Airport-nf120YM-12.jpg

yyyy mm dd (film#-frame#) photos name @ place-source camera -12 (1200 pixels
high)

Where the date is unknown my estimate is given like 193x

For source nf = negative file

pf = positive film

ps = photo scan

bs = book scan

ds document scan

35 35mm film

120 60mm x 60mm film

620 120mm x 60mm film

For camera B = Box Brownie Film 620

C300d = Canon EOS 300d Digital 6.3mP

C500 = Canon EOS 500 Film 35mm

D = Diana Film 120

F = Franka Solida III Film 120

L = Lubitel 2 Film 120

NC5000 = Nikon Coolpix 5000 Digital 5.0mP

NC5400 = Nikon Coolpix 5400 Digital 5.0mP

N = Nikon SLR Film 35mm

YJ = Yashica J-P Film 35mm

YE = Yashica TL Electro Film 35mm

YM = Yashica Mat LM Film 120

For size -12 means the image is 1,200 pixels high

--
Regards - Terry Hollis, Auckland, New Zealand

replace "nospam" with "terry.hollis" to reply
May 21, 2005 10:09:03 PM

"Tim" <xyz@mXn.rYr.cZom> wrote in message
> Would anyone like to share their system for naming files?

I am an adherent to the school of thought that says to store the photos in
chronological order. I know that some will disagree, but I just find it
easier and simpler to locate an image based on approximately WHEN it was
taken. Also, I find it easy to store backup copies of my unedited images on
CD using that system.

What I do is rename each file beginning with a date code. To have Windows
sort them properly, I start with the year first (4 characters), followed by
month (2 characters) and day (2 characters).

So July 4, 1776 would be expressed as "17760704," followed by the image
number and any descriptive information.

So, if I shoot 5 images today, I would name them as follows:

"20050521 01 description.jpg"
"20050521 02 description.jpg"
"20050521 03 description.jpg" etc.

Essentially it is the same system I used when storing negatives. The system
has the added advantage of retaining the date as part of the file name, so
even if the image is edited down the road, the original date shot is
retained, rather than being replaced by the date it was edited.

If I were using more than one digital camera, I'd probably include a code in
the image name telling which camera took the image.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 5:03:15 PM

"Tim" <xyz@mXn.rYr.cZom> wrote:

> Would anyone like to share their system for naming files? I've just bought
> my first digital camera and would like to start with a good system rather
> than have to go back and rename thousands of photos down the road. For what
> it's worth, I'll be using ZoomBrowser. Thanks.

I leave file names as they are, but each set of photos goes in a
separate folder. Each folder has a name that indicates what the photos
inside it are about.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 5:24:58 PM

On Sun, 22 May 2005 13:03:15 -0400, Shawn Hearn <srhi@comcast.net>
wrote:

>In article <SCbhe.154$bn.132@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com>,
> "Tim" <xyz@mXn.rYr.cZom> wrote:
>
>> Would anyone like to share their system for naming files? I've just bought
>> my first digital camera and would like to start with a good system rather
>> than have to go back and rename thousands of photos down the road. For what
>> it's worth, I'll be using ZoomBrowser. Thanks.
>
>I leave file names as they are, but each set of photos goes in a
>separate folder. Each folder has a name that indicates what the photos
>inside it are about.

Give them sensible names with "keywordable" phrases
like "jack_jill_at_beach". Don't be afraid of using
long filenames. Such names will make it much easier
to find the files later using simple tools (eg. the
Search function within Windows Explorer.)

One of my regrets with my older digicam images is
that many of them still have their numeric auto-
assigned names. This was never an issue with my
film scans.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 11:53:47 AM

"rafe bustin" <rafe b at speakeasy dot net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 May 2005 13:03:15 -0400, Shawn Hearn <srhi@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <SCbhe.154$bn.132@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com>,
> > "Tim" <xyz@mXn.rYr.cZom> wrote:
> >
> >> Would anyone like to share their system for naming files? I've just
bought
> >> my first digital camera and would like to start with a good system
rather
> >> than have to go back and rename thousands of photos down the road. For
what
> >> it's worth, I'll be using ZoomBrowser. Thanks.
> >
> >I leave file names as they are, but each set of photos goes in a
> >separate folder. Each folder has a name that indicates what the photos
> >inside it are about.
>

> Give them sensible names with "keywordable" phrases
> like "jack_jill_at_beach". Don't be afraid of using
> long filenames.

except that some programs can't handle them... especially crucial it gets
when you try to burn the files on cd, and this process crops your filenames
down to half the length...

sid
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 11:53:48 AM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 07:53:47 +0200, "sid derra"
<ng_at_emolife.net@arcor.de> wrote:

>"rafe bustin" <rafe b at speakeasy dot net> wrote in message

>> Give them sensible names with "keywordable" phrases
>> like "jack_jill_at_beach". Don't be afraid of using
>> long filenames.
>
>except that some programs can't handle them... especially crucial it gets
>when you try to burn the files on cd, and this process crops your filenames
>down to half the length...

What programs can't handle long filenames?

I haven't found any imaging/viewing programs
that can't. Photoshop, ACDSee, XnView, etc.

Long filenames are no problem with Joliet
format (for CD/DVD burning.) Here's an
excerpt from a recent DVD directory:

barn_door_and_sky_2.tif
carlysle_stream.tif
great_meadow_winter_sunset_1.tif

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 5:28:11 PM

"Shawn Hearn" <srhi@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In article <SCbhe.154$bn.132@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com>,
> "Tim" <xyz@mXn.rYr.cZom> wrote:
>
> > Would anyone like to share their system for naming files? I've just
bought
> > my first digital camera and would like to start with a good system
rather
> > than have to go back and rename thousands of photos down the road. For
what
> > it's worth, I'll be using ZoomBrowser. Thanks.
>
> I leave file names as they are, but each set of photos goes in a
> separate folder. Each folder has a name that indicates what the photos
> inside it are about.

I believe its a bad idea to put "keywords" in the filename. Both because of
the problems regarding long filenames bothm mostly because searching your
files becomes less flexible.

Instead I embed keywords *in* the picture file itself. In each picture file
there is a header, which can contain meta-data, e.g. keywords but also info
regarding exposure, cameramodel etc.

Personaly i leave the filenames unchanged. Then I use www.pixvue.com to add
meta-data to my picture files, and www.picasa.com to manage/search for
pictures. Also Picasa can do a lot of other stuff with your pictures.

regards
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 7:34:51 PM

> On Mon, 23 May 2005 07:53:47 +0200, "sid derra"
> <ng_at_emolife.net@arcor.de> wrote:
>

> >"rafe bustin" <rafe b at speakeasy dot net> wrote in message
>
> >> Give them sensible names with "keywordable" phrases
> >> like "jack_jill_at_beach". Don't be afraid of using
> >> long filenames.
> >
> >except that some programs can't handle them... especially crucial it gets
> >when you try to burn the files on cd, and this process crops your
filenames
> >down to half the length...
>

> What programs can't handle long filenames?
>
> I haven't found any imaging/viewing programs
> that can't. Photoshop, ACDSee, XnView, etc.
>
> Long filenames are no problem with Joliet
> format (for CD/DVD burning.) Here's an
> excerpt from a recent DVD directory:
>
> barn_door_and_sky_2.tif
> carlysle_stream.tif
> great_meadow_winter_sunset_1.tif

well - i dont exactly consider these file names _long_ - i was rreferring to
100+ characters...
sid
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 5:53:08 AM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 15:34:51 +0200, sid derra wrote:

>> barn_door_and_sky_2.tif
>> carlysle_stream.tif
>> great_meadow_winter_sunset_1.tif
>
> well - i dont exactly consider these file names _long_ - i was
> rreferring to 100+ characters...

When defining files and folders to be burned, Easy CD Creator
often forces the truncation of filenames, and I'm pretty sure its
limit was somewhat under 100 characters. I never checked the
complete pathname, but I'm sure it was well under whatever Windows'
max. length is, since the subdirectory names are usually pretty
short.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 5:51:55 PM

"ASAAR" <caught@22.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 15:34:51 +0200, sid derra wrote:
>
> >> barn_door_and_sky_2.tif
> >> carlysle_stream.tif
> >> great_meadow_winter_sunset_1.tif
> >
> > well - i dont exactly consider these file names _long_ - i was
> > rreferring to 100+ characters...
>
> When defining files and folders to be burned, Easy CD Creator
> often forces the truncation of filenames, and I'm pretty sure its
> limit was somewhat under 100 characters. I never checked the
> complete pathname, but I'm sure it was well under whatever Windows'
> max. length is, since the subdirectory names are usually pretty
> short.

nero does the same...
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 11:40:52 PM

I must say that I've thoroughly enjoyed this discussion and I've copied
some of your ideas in order to study them. I never thought that there
would be so many different filing systems for our photos! ;)

Thanks everyone for the input and thanks to Tim for asking the
question.

Patzt

*****
Join us at Photography Cafe