CPU overheats, makes PC to crash

yo8tud

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Ok, so here I am, sitting in BIOS, looking at my CPU temperature rising from 70C to 76C. Then comes the crash.
I have this overheating problem for months, and until now I don't have a solution for it. I keep my PC clean, I applied a new thermal paste, and nothing...
As I'm writing this, Core Temp reads 55C 1st core, and 50 2nd...MAX Temp: 91C and 78C :eek:

Now, I don't know what to do... as I said, at first I thought it was the thermal paste, so I got my hands on an Arctic Cooling MX-4. Things were ok with it...until today when my PC crashed...again. I think it lasted about 1 week and a half, maybe 2.
What to do? I guess i have to change the CPU...oh well.

Here are my PC specs:
Asus M2N-MX SE
4GB RAM DDR2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (AM2 socket)
ATI 4650HD 1GB RAM DDR2
Windows 7 64 bit edition

I know I have a pretty old PC, but right now I can't afford to buy a new one. Maybe a new CPU...but that's all.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Assuming you have a decent cooler and blew all dusts out, a lot of heat problems may be due to a poor application of the thermal paste. If you have applied properly, as "akxpckwb" suggested, get a new cooler. Cooler Master, Noctua, Corsair make nice coolers for recent sockets. Google a cooler for your socket.