Solved

Gateway DX4831-01e

I am looking to do some upgrading on my computer i do not play very graphic intensive games, but want to give it some extra power.

Here are a few specs as of now:

All is stock

300w PSU
6gbs DDR3
Intergraded Graphics and sound
128mb video memory Ewwww!!!!

I am looking at this graphics card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130572

I know i need a bigger PSU so i was looking at this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256071

Will this work in my system

Thanks!!
24 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gateway dx4831
  1. Hello xlrdxrevengex;

The GTS 450 didnt make it on the THG: Best Graphics Cards For The Money: January 2012 list.

What resolution monitor will you be using?
    Once you settle on the graphics card you can find a PSU to match.
    That 600W SilverStone Strider is a pretty good PSU but you can spend less for a high quality PSU.
  2. Here's an option you might like:
    XFX Radeon HD 6790 1GB Video Card $115 after rebate Free Dirt3 game and lifetime warranty
    OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W PSU $45 a/r
    Something like a $25 savings, I think.

@THG: AMD Radeon HD 6790 Review: More Mid-Range Might
  3. I am currently using a Sony Bravia tv as a monitor for now untill i find one i like but the max res is 1366 x 768
  4. I will mainly be playing minecraft and doing some minor video editing in hd that is in my budget range. Though is there anything out there maybe a cheaper psu that will work and bring my cost to say about $150.00 ish if not no problem
  5. As well do i need a psu with sandybridge
  6. That's 'Sandy Bridge & everything else besides' - just marketing hype.

What games do you want to run? And do you want to plan to run them at a future higher 1920x1080 resolution?
  7. Minecraft mainly i would really like to play on a normal to far distance with fancy graphics and just some minor video editing for now. I am working on setting some money aside for a complete gaming rig but as most know economy just sucks right now. I also play some starcraft and warcraft nothing really like mw3 or bf3, etc..
  8. Better now just to throw it out there can the orignal graphics card you told me about work with that psu the XFX
  9. Can you pull the make and model number off the PSU in that Gateway?

I'm thinking it's probably going to be know. After a few years PSUs loose the ability to output it's full rated power.

The RAIDMAX RX-530SS doesn't look terrible but it's not a name we trust. It's NewEgg customer reviews are OK but I can't find any independent reviews that show it can output stable power to its rated capacity. Or that it has quality parts used in the PSU.
  10. OK, the XFX HD 6790 and Corsair CX 430. For a moment I though you meant your original 300W PSU.
  11. How about meeting in the middle with the XFX Radeon HD 6770 $95 a/r
    The XFX 6790 card has some higher than average negative NewEgg customer remarks
  12. Here is a picture of the psu that is currently in my system

13. I think so;
    What do you end up with as the final price with taxes (if any) and shipping?
  14. $164.24 Shipped UPS 3day which is not bad at all and where i live there is no sales tax
  15. And before $25 rebates. That's not a bad price.
    I think it's a good match.

FSP300-60THA website not a terrible PSU for an OEM non-gaming build.
  16. Can you post the two products again so i can mark the answer since i grabbed from two posts
  17. Best answer
  18. Best answer selected by xlrdxrevengex.
  19. Thanks WR2 I know some about computers but i hate trying to figure out what PSU i should get and will it work with this video card along with other hardware
  20. Your welcome.
    Im sure other upgraders would be interested.
    Let us know how well it works out for you.
  21. Update Time. I have been using this setup for a little over a week now and have nothing bad to say. I ended up getting a couple new fans as well and all is been good. The new psu seems to be one of the bigger improvements my cpu is running a little quicker and that was before the graphics card was installed and after the the card was installed it is like a whole new pc. I am now in the process of building a computer and will be using this one for regular day to day stuff and let my cousin use it for some gaming. I am looking at getting a new cpu for it as well. so i think that will be the next biggest thing.

Thanks again
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Gateway Graphics Systems Product