Buying a used i7 2600k that was involved in a blackout where the Mobo died

wiredsoul

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Someone offered to sell me his i7 2600k + 4 gigs of ram really cheap. The thing is, his computer died after a 2 consecutive blackouts. The motherboard is definitely fried, but he says the ram and processor are fine. Should I take the deal? I just got myself a new mobo so I'm a little hesitant.

Solution
If I were you I would look for a friend in the US or something similar. A cpu like that is hard to fully test. I would save up the extra 200 and buy new.

rdc85

Honorable
how much do u know (trust) this 'someone'. I have used some second hand gpu, mem, hdd, and monitor so far so good, the only one i'm not going to buy second hand is PSU and mobo.

I'm not pschology major but if u don't like gambling don't buy it the regret of get bad deal will be to much for handle, but if u like risk it 'may' give u great value.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
How good of a deal is it? Today I see it for about $310 on Newegg. 8g Ripjaw is about $60. 4g is not very much and you do not want to mix brands and model in a system. So in my mind unless it is almost a freebee I would pass on it. I have bought pre-owned memory but only with the condition of return. This is different. It is not just pre-owned but was exposed to two power failures that damaged the system.

wiredsoul

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Well, Newegg doesn't do international shipping so no luck there.
He is selling it for around $300. Retail ones go for around $530. I agree with the ram though. I plan on getting a 16 Gb Vengeance Kit.

sk1939

Distinguished

Agreed, since there is potential for the memory controller on the CPU to have died, which would cause major problems.