Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New Homebuilt PC, Integrated GPU works, not aftermarket

Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2012 3:30:39 PM

Hey Everyone,

I have finally begun my first homemade PC build and have run into a couple of issues in which my PC wouldn't boot and i got no video display. However, I did fix that by plugging my HDMI cable into my integrated graphics card on the motherboard.

Once I unplug the HDMI from there and put it in my 6950 2GB, i received no video display or bootup (splash screen). I made sure to use both 6 pin connectors and plug them into my GPU. Does this mean I have a bad GPU?

Here is my setup:

CPU: i5-2500k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
RAM - GSkill Rip Jaws 4GBX2
PSU: Antec BP550
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon 6950 2GB
Monitor: Samsung SynchMaster E2420

Yes, I also followed the FAQ from this site on troubleshooting.

Thanks everyone!
January 18, 2012 3:51:52 PM

disconnect the card n switch on with igp. Set all defaults in ur BIOS. re-install the gpu on mobo. b4 starting plug in the hdmi port on ur gpu n then switch on the machine.

IF it doesnt work check for the gpu on ur frnd's pc ... n report me.
Score

Best solution

January 18, 2012 4:06:49 PM

In the bios you have to turn off the intergrated graphics so the motherboard will use the video card.
Related resources
January 18, 2012 4:07:56 PM

Thanks guys. i will do this within the next couple hours when I arrive home. Is this true with all BIOS? You have to turn off the integrated?

Thanks!
Score
January 18, 2012 4:35:53 PM

Only on motherboards and cpu's that support it and if you had gotten an AMD setup you could have combined the intergrated with the video card in a hybrid Crossfire setup. You would have had to have gotten an AMD cpu , motherboard and video card for that.
Score
January 18, 2012 4:46:26 PM

inzone said:
Only on motherboards and cpu's that support it and if you had gotten an AMD setup you could have combined the intergrated with the video card in a hybrid Crossfire setup. You would have had to have gotten an AMD cpu , motherboard and video card for that.

So you are saying since I don't have that setup, I will have to go into the BIOS manually and change it?
Score
January 18, 2012 4:50:44 PM

You could also try using a dvi cable, with my HDMI out, I don't see anything until windows initiates the drivers for the card.
Score
January 18, 2012 8:19:38 PM

Thanks so much everyone! I just had to change the stuff in the Bios, it now all works! Now just have to put it in the case and hook the rest up.
Score
January 18, 2012 8:20:01 PM

Best answer selected by mowbr4.
Score
!