Sign in with
Your question

I7 920 vs 3770k

Last response: in CPUs
May 1, 2012 3:38:40 PM

Is anyone upgrading from the Nehalem architecture to Ivy Bridge and if so what reasons? For the past 3 years i have been using my 920 C0 @ 3.8ghz and it has done a great job, however weighing things up on the 3rd gen i7's in regards to power consumption and performance is it worth the upgrade?

My current build:
Intel Core i7 920@ 3.8ghz
Patriot 6GB DDR3 1600mhz
Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme
MSI GTX 580 Lightning Edition 1.5GB
Corsair TX-750W
Antec 1200
1TB Western Digital Black Caviar
3TB Western Digital Green

Daily usage includes mainly gaming and Photoshop here and there.

Any suggestions would be great cheers.

More about : 920 3770k

a c 190 à CPUs
May 1, 2012 3:58:39 PM

Since you are running a overclocked 1st generation Intel® Core™ i7 for games you may not see much real value in changing to the Intel Core i7-3770K. However for the Photoshop there would be more visible performance increase.

I think I would hold off on the 3rd generation Intel Core processors and add an SSD as a boot drive to speed up your performance that way. Maybe one like the Intel SSD 520 120GB.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
Intel Enthusiast
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2012 4:07:22 PM

Hello,

There's no point in you upgrading yet. Ivy Bridge isn't even worth it for you, it's probably only 1 tier above your CPU at its speed.

Your still rocking a powerful system - why would you bother upgrading? If I were you I would eek every last cycle, bits and bytes that your computer can handle.

If anything - I would suggest adding a decent sized SSD. Say something like a Crucial M4 256GB or a Samsung 830 256GB. That would make your system feel "snappy" and modern...almost like getting a CPU upgrade :p .
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 4, 2012 12:17:20 PM

Cheers guys.
m
l
March 16, 2013 3:03:25 AM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Since you are running a overclocked 1st generation Intel® Core™ i7 for games you may not see much real value in changing to the Intel Core i7-3770K. However for the Photoshop there would be more visible performance increase.

I think I would hold off on the 3rd generation Intel Core processors and add an SSD as a boot drive to speed up your performance that way. Maybe one like the Intel SSD 520 120GB.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
Intel Enthusiast

m
l

IntelEnthusiast said:

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
Intel Enthusiast

m
l

IntelEnthusiast said:

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
Intel Enthusiast

m
l

IntelEnthusiast said:

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
Intel Enthusiast

m
l
March 16, 2013 3:06:23 AM

I'd have to agree with you on that one, I've got a 1st gen. i7 920 x58 chipset PC and upgraded the OS drive to SSD not long ago. The thing just screams now; real quick! I've also just bought a 3770 proc. machine for recording music on, that one's got a 2Tb drive basically hard to tell which one's faster. It's amazing how well this 4 year old 920 proc is holding up. I bought it March of 2009 when they were just coming out.
m
l
March 16, 2013 3:17:04 AM

if you want an upgrade wait for the hasswell!you got it oc so its very enough fine!it does not worth an upgrade like that!3770k is very powerful but you got a very good cpu already so wait!
m
l
!