Is it the right time for a new build?

Approximate Purchase Date: 3~ months

Budget Range: $1500-2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Programming, Video Encoding, Internet, Porn

Parts Not Required: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Windows, Speakers, Headset

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, tiger direct

Country: United States

Parts Preferences: Whatever the best is atm.

Overclocking: I've never tried because I'm scared of blowing stuff up.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:

I know that with the way technology progresses you're never going to have the best for long but I've been itching to build a new computer just because I enjoy it. My current specs aren't too too bad considering I built this machine almost two years ago with a few upgrades since.

I'm currently rocking this setup

CPU: i7 920
MB: P6X58D Premium
GPU: GeForce GTX 470
RAM: 6gb DDR3 1333
Storage: 40gb intel somethinganother SSD, 2 1TB spinpoint F3

Should I upgrade at all? Wait for Ivybridge and the 7000 series video cards? Thunderbolt coming to motherboards soon?
Am I going to see a decent performance difference now or in a few months when some of this new tech comes out?
10
answers
Last reply
More about time build
  1. street1030 said:
    Approximate Purchase Date: 3~ months
    Wait for Ivybridge and the 7000 series video cards? Thunderbolt coming to motherboards soon?
    Definately Wait. Yes.
    Ivy Bridge Motherboards at CES, Now With Thunderbolt Support
  2. THG News: Ivy Bridge CPU Prices to be Similar to Sandy Bridge

    Ivy Bridge brings even better overclocking

    As for upgrade now - general guidance from THG's Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: January 2012
    Gaming CPU Hierarchy Chart
    Your Core i7-920 CPU would be only a 1 tier upgrade vs the 3 tier upgrade goal that the THG article recommends.
  3. Guess it won't kill me to wait a few months. I'm not sure if I want to get the new technology fresh when released or wait and see if they have any bugs that need to be worked out first.
  4. street1030 said:
    Guess it won't kill me to wait a few months. I'm not sure if I want to get the new technology fresh when released or wait and see if they have any bugs that need to be worked out first.


    All of the "new tech" won't really be all that new. USB3 has been going for a while. PCI-e 3 is being tested at the moment and Ivy-bridge is just a revision of Sandy-bridge architecture.
  5. It may not be anything breaking edge but it would make a bit of sense to wait considering the release of these are not too far off.
  6. I think you'd have an extra option to choose from.
    The currently available stuff will likely drop in price.
  7. Personally, I think that if you can make an upgradable build now, you can wait for the price of the new tech to go down. Just my opinion, so.. yeah.

    EDIT: Down in price, that is.
  8. WR2 said:
    I think you'd have an extra option to choose from.
    The currently available stuff will likely drop in price.


    That would be an extra option but I think I would still be able to fit the new tech into my budget. Wouldn't make much sense to wait for the new tech to come out just to buy the old stuff and save a few dollars.
  9. The world of technology is always growing. If you buy something today, something better is going to come out tomorrow. You can't just wait until technology "caps," and you get the really good stuff at a decent price. Otherwise, you would end up never buying it.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product