Update my previous office build please

mousenut

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
First off, I kneel before the forum....

I thank you sir(s) for previous successful builds, may I have another?

I am in need of a update to this configuration since it's time to make 25 more:
Old Business build
build.jpg

Updated request:

Approximate Purchase Date: couple of weeks to 1 month max
Budget Range: [strike](e.g.: 600-800)[/strike] [strike]$500[/strike] $550ish (close is good enough) I also can't be sending in 25 rebates for anything. I'm lazy like that. Added---- I need to make sure there are not item limits since I need 25 of these.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: MS office type stuff, many IE windows open at once. Many times 8-9 different apps running.

Parts preference: None really I can think of

Parts Not Required: :keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: : newegg.com (PC Connection is ok too)

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Must support dual DVI 1920 x 1080 without breaking a sweat (current problem with units being replaced). I don't love the case (APEX TX-381-C) used in previous build, a bit flimsy and power button was an issue with getting stuck but I can deal if needed, the handle was convienient. I don't need huge drive(s) but 200 + gig at least would be nice.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Not needed

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080 x 2 (extended dual DVI) minimum

Additional Comments: 6 USB ports would be nice. No gaming needed. I must have a mirror drive capibility on MOBO. I will build 25 of these with Win 7 Pro Open lic. as an image. Audio is required but at a minimum.

Once again, thanks exactly one whole bunch!

rvilkman

Distinguished
Currently you will have serious issues getting any kind of raid setup fitting the budget due to the hard drive prices.

Are you upgrading the existing machines or do you simply need 25 new ones ?

Because honestly if you went with the suggested build.
You could easily re-use the CPU, Motherboard, PSU, DVD drive and memory as well unless you have been running to issues about running out of memory.
The CPU is more than enough for current stuff, Mobo is fine, PSU's are 80+ certified and have enough juice for the computers, DVD drives are current and the memory is enough unless someone specifically needs more.

Thus what would be left is to get a new case, video card and a storage solution.

Also what is the need for the RAID 5 solution ? The HDD's are not fast enough for the use ? Or you want the extra data security?

For a completely new one something like this is doable:

CPU: i3 2120 $129.99 or i5 2400 $189.99
MOBO: ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM $114.99
Memory: Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL $39.99
GPU: built in H67 supports 2 displays via HDMI And DVI ( HDMI is directly compatible with DVI, just need a dummy adapter in between )
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 Black $49.99
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 380D $44.99
HDD: WD Blue 500GB $99.99
DVD: Asus 24x DVD writer $19.99

Total: $504.93 with i3 ( DualCore CPU ), $564.93 ( with i5 QuadCore CPU )

For the upgrade solutions much nicer things are available since the money could be spent basically on 3 items only.
But please enlighten us with answers to the above questions and we might be able to help you further.

mousenut

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
These are additional units, not upgrades on current. I have no real significant issues with current builds.

I realized something last night that is making me back away from the RAID 5 (other than the price) and that's my concern of easily creating the system image. In the mirror it was easy but in a 5 I'm not even sure how I would go about it. I wanted it for data security mainly and the mirror does still have that I suppose. I was hoping to use smaller cheaper drives and end up with simmilar space results but I will abandon that idea.

I have to have a mirror at a minimum.

NewEgg is limiting me to 5 of that Rosewill case. Is there a way around that other than having 5 accounts? Can the led in the fan be defeated?

---Edited above to reflect the RAID 5 removal---

rvilkman

Distinguished

I Have to admit that i didn't look at the limitations, sorry. Maybe ask from newegg if they are willing to sell you the amount of units you need.
But basically most cases in the $50-60 will do the job. Antec 300 is an alternative if the rosewill is not available. Or you could use the older rosewill model that doesn't have USB3 support in the front ports.

mousenut

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
It looks like I can get the Antec 300 at PCConnection in quantity without issues.

I also apparently can get the original MOBO there too (ASUS P8H67-M LX (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX )
but you listed a different one, are there advantages of the one you listed over the original?

This is it correct? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131711

I also checked and some of my newer monitors do have HDMI jacks so that MOBO GPU running the duals should be ok with just a cable swap.

mousenut

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I'm sorry i haven't gotten back to this earlier, please forgive me :)

I have a quote out on all of this and this case PS combo (listed down a bit on the page A107-3036 & A107-1068) was subbed in:
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=719187&srkey=a107-3036

Should it work as well, not as well? I was not able to get NewEgg to allow a larger purchase on the case (which I did like) so I will have to split it up over 15-19 days and that's a hassle.

Also C10-1502 Centon memory was subbed since TD doesn't carry the G.Skill. Is it decent enough not to split up the order?

My savings is around $60 so it ends up being $1400+ over the set. Nothing to sneeze at.

Thank you!