CPU Temp Help please!

erwinna

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Greetings earthlings!

My Antec Kuhler is on the fritz so while I wait to get a new one shipped I have placed thefan/heatsink which comes with the i5 2500k as primary CPU cooler.

One 2 occassions I noticed my CPU get ABOVE 70 degrees C once when watching a you tube vid, and once when on the sign-in screen of World of Warcraft. This concerns me!

Is this normal? Should I be concerned? Are there any things I may have overlooked? I was told I should be ok to play my games with the stock cooler even. Please! Any insight would help! :sweat:

I will mention: I do not yet have my GPU in there (back-ordered), so I am using on-board graphics.

****Other fans I have going: One front panel (blowing into case), One side panel (blowing into case), One top (blowing out of case), one back (blowing out of case).

Solution
So when I apply the paste, should I clean oft both the cooling plate as well as CPU and fully reapply? Also, any cleaning tips?

Yep, make sure both the CPU and HSF are completely clean. The easiest and best way to do it is with isopropyl alcohol on a lint free cloth, but a damp paper towel will work in a pinch. Just watch out for lint.

erwinna

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
There is thermal paste on the cooler itself so i just used this. I did not clean off the thermal paste from the liquid cooler but I thought this would be ok...

erwinna

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Thank you so much! I am actually currently running at stock (3.3) just have not changed.specs :)

So when I apply the paste, should I clean oft both the cooling plate as well as CPU and fully reapply? Also, any cleaning tips?

Thanks again for the advice! Its Really appreciated!

Yep, make sure both the CPU and HSF are completely clean. The easiest and best way to do it is with isopropyl alcohol on a lint free cloth, but a damp paper towel will work in a pinch. Just watch out for lint.

Solution

erwinna

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Also: how confident are you that this is what is causing the overheating? (The gaps that is...) Seems to make sense that the old paste was creating gaps, but I sad not sure if paste hardens or stays malleable...you live you learn, Lol.