Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

LOL, I found a reciept for a computer I bought 10 years ago.

Last response: in Systems
Share
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2012 8:55:34 PM

You want to know how far the DIY market has come for PCs? I was cleaning out some old receipts and I found one for this computer that I had bought in 2001:

Case + PSU: Antec KS282 + 300W built-in PSU: $79.99
Motherboard: MSI K7T Turbo R - $139.99
CPU: AMD Athlon A1000 - $189.99
RAM: 64MB PC133 - $59.99
HD: Western Digital 20GB 1000RPM - $109.00
Video Card: Best Data TNT 2 32MB AGP - $89.99
Storage: Sony 1.44MB Floppy Drive - $17.99
Keyboard: Generic 104-key PS2 Keyboard - $14.99
Mouse: MS Wheel Mouse - $15.99
Optical: 52X CD-ROM Drive - $89.99

Total: $1,005.01 ($934.89 + $70.12 tax)

And that was when a floppy drive was still considered mandatory equipment. :lol: 

Now by comparison - here's what $1,005.01 gets you in 2012:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - $59.99
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 600W - $89.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P - $189.99
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K - $229.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - $29.99
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 1600MHz 1.6V - $46.99
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM - $99.99
Optical: Lite On 24X DVD Burner - $17.99
Keyboard / Mouse: Logitech Wireless Keyboard MK260 - $33.99
Video Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 560TI 1GB - $249.99

That's a huge difference. I don't really have anything else to add I figured I'd post this for the comparison LOL. :lol: 
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2012 9:10:35 PM

As Einstein said, the most powerful force in the universe is compound interest (or something like that), except in this case it is the Moore's law version.

In this case, there were 7 doubles in RAM size (64 MB --> 8 GB) over 10 years that is one every 17 months give or take. If you loosely interpret Moore's law that fits perfectly in the timeline.
January 18, 2012 9:19:06 PM

I remember my dad going to computer shows when I was younger (back in the mid-late 90's) and bringing home cards from different vendors with component lists on them, that was intesne.

I also remember playing diablo2 on his hand-me-down (to my bro and I haha) gateway with a 333mhz processor and thinking it was amazing.
Related resources
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2012 9:24:08 PM

I remember playing Doom 1 when you had to physically type in the modem connect strings by hand based on what modem you had and what modem your friend had.

When the first 1 MB RAM stick came out, I drooled over it. There was no way I was paying $100+ for it though.
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2012 9:25:55 PM

Cripple13 said:
I remember my dad going to computer shows when I was younger (back in the mid-late 90's) and bringing home cards from different vendors with component lists on them, that was intesne.

I also remember playing diablo2 on his hand-me-down (to my bro and I haha) gateway with a 333mhz processor and thinking it was amazing.


Oh man I was so obsessed with Diablo II back when it first came out. It's still fun every once in a while. I still have my numbered LE box sitting on my book shelf with most of the stuff included intact.

Quote:
I remember playing Doom 1 when you had to physically type in the modem connect strings by hand based on what modem you had and what modem your friend had.


I remember the days when you had to quit Windows and go through the DOS command prompt in order to play games... and even then they only worked about 1/2 the time. My grandpa used to let me play MS Golf on his computer and you literally had to quit Windows, go the D drive on the command prompt and load the game that way. I used to think Windows 3.1 only existed so people could play solitaire while at work. :lol: 
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2012 9:43:18 PM

I skipped Windows 3.1 entirely. I just stuck with DOS all the way until Windows 95.

I still have a lot of my CDs with DOS games on them. Xcom 1, Xcom 2, Orion 1, Dungeon Keeper, Warcraft 1, and many others.
January 18, 2012 9:44:55 PM

I have a copy of windows 95 in my office, I had to use it in order to install the xp upgrade cd since I was a noob and bought the wrong copy
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2012 9:46:51 PM

Raiddinn said:
I skipped Windows 3.1 entirely. I just stuck with DOS all the way until Windows 95.

I still have a lot of my CDs with DOS games on them. Xcom 1, Xcom 2, Orion 1, Dungeon Keeper, Warcraft 1, and many others.


I have some old Windows 95 games (I avoided 98, ME, and 2000 until XP, then I didn't upgrade there until 7).

I don't really have anything left from the Windows 3.1 era other than the system restore disc that came with my old Gateway. Yes, they actually did include restore discs at one point. :lol: 

Quote:
I have a copy of windows 95 in my office, I had to use it in order to install the xp upgrade cd since I was a noob and bought the wrong copy


I still have the case w/serial number on mine, but the disc is long gone. I did the same thing with Vista and 7, never making that mistake again. :lol: 
January 18, 2012 9:51:02 PM

g-unit1111 said:
You want to know how far the DIY market has come for PCs? I was cleaning out some old receipts and I found one for this computer that I had bought in 2001:

Case + PSU: Antec KS282 + 300W built-in PSU: $79.99
Motherboard: MSI K7T Turbo R - $139.99
CPU: AMD Athlon A1000 - $189.99
RAM: 64MB PC133 - $59.99
HD: Western Digital 20GB 1000RPM - $109.00
Video Card: Best Data TNT 2 32MB AGP - $89.99
Storage: Sony 1.44MB Floppy Drive - $17.99
Keyboard: Generic 104-key PS2 Keyboard - $14.99
Mouse: MS Wheel Mouse - $15.99
Optical: 52X CD-ROM Drive - $89.99

Total: $1,005.01 ($934.89 + $70.12 tax)

And that was when a floppy drive was still considered mandatory equipment. :lol: 

Now by comparison - here's what $1,005.01 gets you in 2012:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - $59.99
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 600W - $89.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P - $189.99
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K - $229.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - $29.99
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 1600MHz 1.6V - $46.99
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM - $99.99
Optical: Lite On 24X DVD Burner - $17.99
Keyboard / Mouse: Logitech Wireless Keyboard MK260 - $33.99
Video Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 560TI 1GB - $249.99

That's a huge difference. I don't really have anything else to add I figured I'd post this for the comparison LOL. :lol: 


The total on the first list actually comes to around $700, not $1,000 lol
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2012 9:57:35 PM

darkguset said:
The total on the first list actually comes to around $700, not $1,000 lol


I was just going by what's on the receipt - they probably charged some hidden taxes and fees that weren't shown (it was bought from Fry's).

Oh there was also a monitor that I forgot too - that's why the numbers don't add up. It was this:

Monitor: Viewsonic A75 17" CRT - $179.99
January 18, 2012 10:31:36 PM

Nostalgia is amazing!
Tyrian 2000 is a big favourite of mine (raptor ripoff, i know)
I don't remember anything about the first computer I was alowed to play games on, but the second was a ~300mhz 64MB Compaq, I still have the 6GB HDD in my desk. It recieved a DVD player at one point, but would only show about one frame in five if you tried to watch a movie.
Sometimes I almost wish I had kept that PC, would be super usefull for when those "late 90's" games wont work on modern systems. We really need a win90'sbox just like we have dosbox!
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2012 10:59:51 PM

koogco said:
Nostalgia is amazing!
Tyrian 2000 is a big favourite of mine (raptor ripoff, i know)
I don't remember anything about the first computer I was alowed to play games on, but the second was a ~300mhz 64MB Compaq, I still have the 6GB HDD in my desk. It recieved a DVD player at one point, but would only show about one frame in five if you tried to watch a movie.
Sometimes I almost wish I had kept that PC, would be super usefull for when those "late 90's" games wont work on modern systems. We really need a win90'sbox just like we have dosbox!


I still have my old Pioneer slot-loading DVD drive that I paid like $200 for when they were first available. I wonder if it still works.

I'd love to see a box like that but I think we're not supposed to talk about emulators 'round here.
January 18, 2012 11:22:41 PM

I remember buying my first dvd drive for my pc,it was from Creative(believe it or not)and it came with this pci acceleration card for the dvd drive,this thing cost me almost $400.00...Then a few years later I pre-ordered the voodoo 5 5500 I believe it was,that card cost me like $425.00 and wasnt worth it at all,in fact i think that was what sunk 3DFX......
January 18, 2012 11:41:12 PM

I will never forget my first PC, I got from Radio Shack, it was a Tandy 286 at the unbelievable "speed" of 8Mhz, 512K of ram (it claimed 640K but somehow it was not)...

14" color monitor, DOS 3.0, a 4 color dot matrix printer.
It had a 360K Floppy and a 720K Floppy drives... no hard drive

I had the buy a hard drive, went back to the store and got a "big" hard drive 20GB hard drive.... really "cheap" for $600 dollars.

yes, times have change. :) 
January 18, 2012 11:46:35 PM

is raptor that fighter jet type top down scrolling game where you shoot all the enemies and get powerups/upgrades? I love that game (if it's the one i'm thinking of)
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2012 11:49:34 PM

drwho1 said:
I will never forget my first PC, I got from Radio Shack, it was a Tandy 286 at the unbelievable "speed" of 8Mhz, 512K of ram (it claimed 640K but somehow it was not)...

14" color monitor, DOS 3.0, a 4 color dot matrix printer.
It had a 360K Floppy and a 720K Floppy drives... no hard drive

I had the buy a hard drive, went back to the store and got a "big" hard drive 20GB hard drive.... really "cheap" for $600 dollars.

yes, times have change. :) 


My first PC that my parents got was an Apple IIe with the 12" green screen and dual floppy drives (I want to say '87 - '88?). Seems like a toy compared to what we can get today.

Quote:
I had the buy a hard drive, went back to the store and got a "big" hard drive 20GB hard drive.... really "cheap" for $600 dollars.


I have an old 8GB hard drive sitting on my desk. I often wonder how much that drive was when it was brand new. I'm guessing somewhere in the $600 range.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2012 11:49:42 PM

Quote:
I still have my old Pioneer slot-loading DVD drive that I paid like $200 for when they were first available. I wonder if it still works.


My Pioneer slot loading DVD drive that I haven't used for years, although it was working when I put it on the shelf has stooped working when I tried it the other day, I was most upset that the laser had died even though it wasn't used. :( 
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2012 2:23:11 AM

Sadly, mechanical parts atrophy when they are not used.
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2012 7:14:41 AM

Noobs, all of you. :) 

I remember when building a computer meant taking soldering iron in hand.

Set of eight 16 kbit RAM chips - $150 - 1977.

a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2012 12:45:40 PM

Agreed, I wasn't even alive in 1977.
January 19, 2012 12:57:04 PM

My first computer was some HP i got used. (75$)
i remember it had 512mb of RDR ram
and a 2.4ghz P4
with a mx400 64mb

It had a very large extended ATX case that i used up until last year for all my builds.

a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2012 1:10:55 PM

Hmm, I only go back as far as needing nine (one for parity) RAM chips.
Relatively speaking, the most money I ever "wasted" on a hard drive was something like $900 on a 140MB ESDI drive (and controller). Wicked fast in its day.
The best deal I probably ever got was $200 for a used 71MB full-height Miniscribe. That drive was a horse; I ran many multi-hour RBase crunch jobs on that drive.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2012 3:29:36 PM

Quote:
Noobs, all of you. :) 

I remember when building a computer meant taking soldering iron in hand.

Set of eight 16 kbit RAM chips - $150 - 1977.


I remember when building a computer I had to design it myself and then build it using a soldering iron. 16K x1 cost £9.50 each in 1977 but I got them for free as I was then working for ITT Semiconductors.
!