I5 2500k or 3570k mobo/memory help

ChuToy

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Hello,

Been reading the forums here for years, but first time posting.

I'm in the process of building a new machine, mostly for gaming, but will do a little bit of everything. I know the topic of 2500k vs 3570k is everywhere, but wanted to see what everyone thought would the better way to go for my build.

Possible
CPU:
i5 2500k or i5 3570k (difference is only $20, I live about an hour from a Microcenter)

w/
with Hyper 212 EVO

Mobo:
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155
seemed best in my price range, want two Pcie 3.0 for future CF, and at least 2 USB 3.0
Any better recommendation are welcome, never used Asrock before.

RAM:
G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB(4x4gb)
heard this board has some issues with G.skill memory

or

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB

or
If low profile is needed, read that with the EVO 212 you may need low profile memory on this board.

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) x2

What is confirmed already:

GPU:
Sapphire Radeon 7850 OC

PSU:
OCZ ZT Series 750W Fully-Modular

Case:
Haf 912

w/

2 x Cooler Master 200mm fans added

HDD:
7.2k 1TB

Thanks in advanced for any help!!

Solution
The Cooler Master Hyper 212 +/Evo sits around 1.8" over the board; normal Corsair Vengeance memory stands 2" so you need to be careful. I would just go with the G. Skill Ares DDR 1600. Also since you state that this for a gaming build stay at 8GB of memory. Also add a second 120mm fan for use on the 212 to help with cooling.

I would go with the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K. While the heat may stop you from getting as high of an overclock with the Intel Core i5-2500K, the IPC improvement most likely will even this up. Also when you add in the value of picking up the PCI-E 3.0 it will allow you to have room to grow with future video cards that can use PCI-E 3.0 in the future. Heck if you wait a couple weeks and I think you will see that the...
The Cooler Master Hyper 212 +/Evo sits around 1.8" over the board; normal Corsair Vengeance memory stands 2" so you need to be careful. I would just go with the G. Skill Ares DDR 1600. Also since you state that this for a gaming build stay at 8GB of memory. Also add a second 120mm fan for use on the 212 to help with cooling.

I would go with the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K. While the heat may stop you from getting as high of an overclock with the Intel Core i5-2500K, the IPC improvement most likely will even this up. Also when you add in the value of picking up the PCI-E 3.0 it will allow you to have room to grow with future video cards that can use PCI-E 3.0 in the future. Heck if you wait a couple weeks and I think you will see that the price will even up between these processors.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Solution

ChuToy

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Thanks Christian,

I completely over looked the fact of adding an extra fan to the Hyper 212, so I will be doing that.

I was going to go with 16GB of RAM because of the price difference is small between 8GB and 16GB and I have a % off at Newegg.

And I agree with you and think I may be going with the i5-3570K

With a z77 motherboard you pretty much have to go with the 3570k.
Well not have to but you know what I mean I hope. Some of the features of the board are dependant on the use of an Ivy Bridge chip.
I agree 16GB of Ram is pointless for a Gaming build heck even 8GB is borderline overkill but I can see why some would want to go to 8.

Mactronix :)